Marvel's Ant-Man

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it will bomb, ? It's really a minor character, I never could believe
    in the premise of Ant-Man.

2. Nah. It won't bomb. The same prediction was made for a Guardians of athe a Galaxy. If it's well done (and Marvel hasn't screwed the pooch yet), it will do well.

Drifter likes this.
  3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It won't make Avengers type of money.
    I read and had some early Avengers comics. I just can't never got that character
    For Marvel, it seemed far fetched even back in the 60's.
    I would want Ghost Rider, redone though. Base it on the 90's comics.

4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

The trailer plays very well to women. Every women that I know that has seen the trailer, wants to see the film. This bodes very well for the film! Seems that the trailers for these minor character films are extremely important! The trailer for Guardians completely changed the discussion about the film in a positive direction!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I hope it'll do well, but it's an iffy proposition. This was a D-list character at best, not nearly the best of what Marvel did in the 1960s and 1970s. Trailer here:

So far, the trailer's kinda gotten an "eh" reaction from the audiences I've seen it with. I think hardcore fans were bummed that original director Edgar Wright walked off the film over creative issues. And Wright had been working on the film on and off for at least five years...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-ant-man-director-edgar-707374

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Guardians of The Galaxy was also seen as a "D-list" type of property, but we see how that worked out.

Edgar Wright worked on Ant-Man for almost 8 years.

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

The train set scene at the end killed it with every audience I've seen it with, lots of laughing one audience even clapped!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

9. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

So far I've only seen positive reviews.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

With Marvel your always going to get a pretty solid following.

I love the poster for it where you see this tiny ant on this big poster.

I plan to see it.

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Careful - you might derail the intent of the thread... ;)

wavethatflag and Voodoo Child like this.
  12. Were there any Marvel Super Heroes with believable premises?

13. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Indeed!

When I google "ant man review" I see things like:

"Marvel's 'Ant-Man' has a giant heart and a sly sense of humor"

"Best Super Hero Origin Story Since Iron Man"

"Marvel's 'Ant Man' Is A Tiny Triumph"

Not every review so far is a home run, but the movie appears to have hit the right notes.

wavethatflag and jriems like this.
  14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Such as my wife. One of my teenagers happened to mention Ant Man the other day and my wife said she was looking forward to seeing it. We all looked at her like she was joking, but she said, "No, really."

John K.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Saw this last night. Another Marvel winner. Most fun since Guardians.

Drifter and macdaddysinfo like this.
  16. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Thought it was a ton of fun and had some of the most effective 3D (both in terms of visual impact
    and how it adds to telling the story) I've seen in a long time.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hope to see it sometime this weekend.

18. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Never underestimate a film with Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly. That cast would make me want to see any movie.

19. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Ant-Man is NOT a d-list character in the Marvel Universe. In fact he is fairly central to quite a bit of Marvel lore including:
    founding the Avengers
    creating Ultron
    being key in the creation of Wasp, Goliath (Hawkeye), Vision (and fixing vision by 'fantastic voyaging' in him) and a number of other size changing heroes and villains in the MU some using the names of his personas such as Scott Lang as Ant-Man.
    not to mention creating his own additional personas: Yellowjacket and Giant-Man

He was central to many plots but the biggest being the ongoing Ultron sagas.

He also had an enormous fall from grace after he struck his wife (the Wasp) and was forever tarnished as a hero even after multiple attempts to redeem him.

That being said... this Ant-Man is somewhat reimagined and gone is the baggage of 50 years of comic books. It think the premise is well set-up and nods to MCU continuity are going to be cool too (showing Pym as Ant-Man).

The biggest missing piece though in all of this is his wife Janet Van Dyne (who of course was the reason he had his big disgrace in the comics). Jan is a GREAT character and her not being in the MCU is a great loss.

SPOILERS:

in this movie she is apparently dead. But I'm hoping that she isn't dead at all but rather she was shunk down into the Microverse where maybe time works differently and therefore she hasn't aged at all since then and she comes back later sort of as an old fashioned woman of the 1960s kind of like Captain America is from the 40s. That would be a lot of fun in a future Avengers movie or maybe a 2nd Ant-Man movie. Although I know they are setting up her daughter Hope as being the new Wasp. But Jan deserves a chance!

Anyway this movie is going to be huge. Pun intended. Especially after the somewhat lackluster Avengers 2.

20. I thought the trailer looked fun, and I generally like Paul Rudd. Will check out the 3D version this weekend, and maybe use it as an opportunity to check out what that D-Box "immersive movie experience" is all about.

21. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Corrected a couple typos for ya. ;)

carrick doone likes this.
  22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I saw it last night, and loved it!

Rudd is very good in the title role, as are Douglas, Lilly, & the supporting cast.

It's full of surprises, very funny, and it dovetails into the MCU wonderfully.

Highly recommended.

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

If the weather were bad, I'd definitely be seeing this this weekend. Rain is expected mid-week, so I'll be seeing it then.

24. Watched it this afternoon. A fun popcorn movie. There is a very clever cameo for Saturday Night Live fans.

25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Just hoping it's killer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.