Marvel's Ant-Man

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It was funny, visually inventive, and kind of refreshingly narrow in scope for a summer movie with a superhero saving the world plot. BTW, this is one where it is worth the few extra bucks to spring for the 3D version, IMHO.

Drifter likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't have a link for you but I saw somewhere that Douglas, no surprise, wants it to be Catherine Zeta-Jones.

3. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I loved what they did with Michael Douglas' look early in the film. Better dinosaur CGI than Jurassic World, imo. ba-dum-ching!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Number one at the box office, baby!

Where's all the geniuses who predicted it would flop? Can I get a mea culpa?

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

New York Observer
    Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jul 15, 2015
    Ant-Man is a brainless bore and a colossal waste of money, time and computer-generated special effects.

Guess it's not for everybody. Might try it today.

6. davenav

Fixed that for him.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:laugh: They also "de-aged" Martin Donovan - it just wasn't as noticeable because we don't know his face as well as we know Douglas's...

80sjunkie likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Yeah, I read that too. It's not a terrible idea, though she might be too old for the role. Shouldn't Janet have been in her 30s when she disappeared? CZJ will be pushing 50 by the time another "Ant-Man" movie hits...

9. Squealy

Er.. she.... aged more slowly in the quantum realm!

10. shokhead

Doesn't take much to be #1 in a somewhat full of junk summer movies that are out right now. Boy, what a poor summer of movies so far.

11. Squealy

It was the lowest-opening Marvel movie since "The Incredible Hulk." Hopefully word of mouth will be good on it, though, and its numbers won't fall off sharply.

12. Oatsdad

Wouldn't she have had to age more quickly for CZJ to work?

I guess I'm assuming that she would've remained the same age as when she disappeared, though, and should be in her 30s if/when she returns. I figured the subatomic shenanigans would've frozen her in time.

I didn't think about the notion that she should now be around the same age as Hank. So she's the wrong age either way - unless they tell us she did age but just at half-speed, as you posit! :)

13. Oatsdad

I think it's getting excellent WOM and I suspect it'll have good legs...

14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thanks for the info. The last movie really deserving the extra € for the 3D version was "Hugo" but I'll glady follow your advice :tiphat:

Bender Rodriguez and Drifter like this.
  15. Squealy

I mean, she aged 15 years instead of 40 or however long it's been.

It would be nonsense, but, it's a comic book movie.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, it won't even make comic book sense if time hasn't stood still for her. What has she been eating?

16. Oatsdad

Stop using logic! :D

My guess is that she'll have been frozen in time. I guess we'll find out in a few years! :)

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I thought it was hilarious.... His 3 buddies were great....

Dudley Morris, GeoffC and Drifter like this.
  18. davenav

Beating out Minions ain't nothing, despite what you may think of that one.

I think we should take films on a case by case basis. But, any summer that has Avengers 2, Jurrasic World, Inside & Out, Mad Max, and (my favourite) Love & Mercy - plus, Ant-Man? That's a pretty good summer!

Old Rusty likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Weak artistry, certainly. They were dreadfully bad. But the flip side is a "good" formula that delivers with the dependability of Pizza Hut. Nevermind, I think I'm just becoming a film snob. But then, again, even though I was young and I loved the first two Star Wars movies (third, sans ewoks) I was never the type to make more of them than fun movies worth a couple weeks of chatter. I never ran around for years in Jedi cloaks with a lightsaber and a handful of trading cards. By the time I was 15 I had even grown out of my trekkie phase. Same with comics, I could appreciate a good comic, but I never got "involved" with them. I left getting "involved" to music and studying movies as an art form, not a vehicle for worship.

Old Rusty likes this.
  20. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Film snob when younger, having college film studies (Bertolucci!!) Later I realized that nearly all attempts at art have worth. Even the most crass and market driven which was my initial perception of Star Wars. At best, a silly pastiche.. a clear step down from American Graffiti.. a clear step down from THX 1138.
    This was wrongheaded.
    It's all akashic perhaps.

This one recently got "it"
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2358891/

21. shokhead

I think when a film is released and what else is out makes one hell of a difference.

22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Normally if I don't agree with a review I don't care, but strewth! My experience was the direct opposite of the above. My only regret is no option to see this movie in 3D.

--Geoff

GeoffC and Drifter like this.
  23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I saw it in Ultra AVX 3D last night. :thumbsup: It's probably one of the top 5 movies I've ever seen as far as pure entertainment goes. I love to laugh in the theatre and there were plenty of laughs. One of my favourites was when...
    the ant jumped on him like a puppy would and he said something like "aww, you're not so scary, you're kind of cute" and then hundreds of ants jumped on him and he freaked and frantically made himself full-size again, popping up through the ground. :biglaugh:

24. shokhead

Just got back. Maybe 25 people in the place to see it. For me, it was ok at best. I was thinking it would have been a better 1 hour series on TV.

25. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Saw it yesterday evening. Theater about 1/2 full.

Never heard of Ant Man, I completely missed the comic books (assuming there were comic books!) so I had no idea what to expect.

Weird movie. But funny and fun. We gave it 7 out of 10.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.