Marvel's Ant-Man

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Co
    Couldnt tell if they de-aged Martin early or re-aged Martin late; it has been a while since I had seen him in anything...

thegage likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Nice to see Edgar Wright still gets a writing credit, and an executive producer credit.
    He's been kind of MIA from social media since he was 'fired' from being the director of this....
    even though I didn't like "Scott Pilgrim", I'll still go see anything with his name on it.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

"Just back it up. Just back it up. Just back it up."

4. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Saw it today with my 16 year old daughter and loved it. Funny, visually strong and well paced. It cracks me up how folks look to these movies to be some kind of artistic triumph when they're just summer popcorn movies. On that level it was perfect, silly cinematic entertainment. Oh, and count me in as one who had never heard of the original comic. Didn't matter one bit to me.

alan967tiger and Drifter like this.
  5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Great.

But, it's ultimately a meaningless qualifier.

Personally, I don't care that it's #1 - but, it is, after all, number 1. There won't be any asterisks in the history books next it's title, marking that one black week where the conditions were so bad it won be default. Minions did well. Train wreck did well. It did better than them, and won over a lot converts in the process.. Which I do care about.

I don't care that it made a lot of money, and stop right there I'll say it for you - it didn't make as much as other Marvel films have made - but, it seems Marvel was very savvy about where Ant-man debuted in the calendar. It's lower than average budget meant this little film - projected to fail by nearly everybody and their kind of creepy brother-in-law - could turn a profit, which makes the studios happy so they order up a sequel, which I do care about.

And, that's all that matters.

katstep likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That looked interesting, I saw that up for streaming. I'm middle of the road, too. I think there have been some fantastic crass and commercial films that are among the best cinema has produced -- like you say, Star Wars, Jaws, Raiders -- straight out, made-to-be-commercial films, but done with such originality that they became iconic. They're smart and populated by wonderful characters and their stories created wonderful worlds.... But these Marvel films, come on. They're all the same plot, for god's sake. Average joe turned into superhero by scientific blunder or breakthrough defeats ridiculously evil person with plans of world domination. Please! I have no problem with popcorn movies (well a few of them) but I do have a problem with being franchised to death and originality being crushed by easy marketing and toy tie ins. I have friends who still are writing in Hollywood doing original wonderful stuff, but they can't compete again the DISNEY MARVEL DC juggernaut. Vidiot has said Spielberg can't even get a film made! And I don't mean Hollywood should me making "The Best Days of Our Lives" or Merchant Ivory films, I just would like there to be more variety of good middle brow films. The sameness of these origin of fighting superhero stories are just wearing me down at this point. I don't care what actor you get or how you dress up the comedy, they're all the same damn Marvel formula. I think Guardians of the Galaxy was a big hit because it was such an obscure comic no one even knew it was a comic!

7. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Haven't heard of Ant Man, but really looking forward to seeing the film with my wife at the week end; there's been a lot of + feedback on here!

Drifter likes this.
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed it. And also, THAT second post credit scene was excellent.

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I have to go back and see it again just to see that. We left early.

John K.

10. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

That was a fun movie! And what I predicted about Janet I think has a good chance of being right!

They handled Hank Pym in the best possible way they could have which was cool. They gave his mental problems to the Yellowjacket villain which makes sense too.

I loved seeing Falcon again as well. All in all a good summer flick. I enjoyed it more than Avengers 2.

The movie definitely felt like an Edgar Wright movie. But... I'm a little confused. Why did he drop out of the film? Did he not want the Falcon part or was it something else?

11. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

I thought they weren't doing that anymore...

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's all I needed to hear..... I'm going!

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

2nd?! The theatre lights came on so I assumed the 1st post credit scene was it. :sigh:

14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

No there's one at the very end after the final credits.

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Oh, brother!

This received wisdom that summer blockbusters are keeping good movies from being made is a trope that has gone past it's shelf date.

At the end of the year there will be 10 or so movies that will meet your oh-so-high standards. T'was always thus - Hollywood's output has always been 95% popcorn-fare, and 5% art.

Drifter and shokhead like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I like Paul Rudd and this looks pretty good.

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I saw it today with my wife and we loved it. I went to the 3D viewing and for me, it was very good.
    What I enjoyed was the characters and how they developed them. It not just a bunch of special effects
    and noise.
    One thing I've noticed about all these summer movies is the less powerful the hero is, the better the movie.
    The Hulk, Superman, some of the X-men are not as fun as Batman, Ant-man, Captain America, some of
    the X-men. Some have to go somewhere else, they are so powerful. Don't get me wrong, I like all of them.

Drifter and Michael like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks Larry for the positive comments. I like them all some more than others...

19. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were all 'pitched' about right, and in particular the macro photography was very well done. Nice addition to the Marvel Film School!

Dudley Morris and Drifter like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Absolutely untrue. Showing a distinct lack of film history in addition to your "oh-so-low" standards. Go to Wikipedia and look back to the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s and tell me the ratio of popcorn to smart films was 95% to fine. Not even close to that ratio during the heyday of good films out of Hollywood. There were a lot of artist all trying to make films of value. The great directors, the great actors. Hollywood probably started to take a nosedive in the mid-80s. And if you have a hard time telling which were the popcorn films? That's because 30 years later no one remembers the mindless ones, the popcorn films become forgotten novelties. It may be an international blockbuster raking in beaucoup cash, but in 40 years the "Fast and Furious" series will be right up there with the "Follies of 1933" or quicky grindhouse films as far as falling into the "who watched these goofy films?" category. Let's think back more recently to "Jason Lives Pt. 6 and "Puppet Master:Axis of Evil" and tell me where they fall in the canon of "great" films.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Good grief, are you comparing "Ant-Man" to "Friday The 13th Pt. 6 Jason Lives" and "Puppet Master:Axis Of Evil" or what? I just don't get where you're going with this.

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I like it a LOT more than Guardians too. :thumbsup:

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I didn't.

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

But keep that last sentence in mind when you say there were more great films in the classic era. There were thousands and thousands of B and C and D list melodramas and detective movies and Westerns and cheap sci-fi and monster flicks that nobody remembers from those years. It wasn't all John Ford and Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock.

wayneklein, katstep and vince like this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Right but they didn't cost a fortune to make and promote those B & C movies..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.