MARVEL'S Fantastic Four 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

imdb.com. Type in Fantastic Four. Select 2015 version. Cast list right on that page.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It isn't the Fantastic Four I grew up with, but I have no issues with the cast list. It would have been nice to have an older Reed but I can understand why they'd go with a younger cast. :magoo:

4. progrocker71

Miles Teller was excellent in The Spectacular Now and Whiplash.
    Kate Mara put in good performances in the series House Of Cards and American Horror Story.
    Michael B. Jordan received critical acclaim for Fruitvale Station in 2014.

Can't say I'm familiar with Jamie Bell but he's going to end up a walking boulder most of the time anyway.

I think it's a good cast of younger actors in their late 20s and early 30s.

Most of the online bitching about this film has been about casting a black actor to play Johnny Storm. Coupled with the online nerd rage over Wonder Woman not having a big enough rack and those two things together seem to add up to 1950s mentality still holding sway in 2015.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Not going to comment on the Wonder Woman thing as I haven't been following it, but I don't see "1950s mentality still holding sway" in criticisms of the FF cast. I think it's just that there are two markets for this film: those who are nostalgic for the FF of their youth, and those who are fans of the new Marvel Universe movies. We who grew up with the comics want to see movies closer to the comis we knew. Then again, not many of us go to see the movies.

I just don't think you can please ANYONE any longer with this sort of thing.

6. DreadPikathulhu

I'm willing to set aside my nostalgia if the changes make sense. If they can explain the new Johnny Storm and Susan Storm by making one of the sibling adopted, that makes sense to me and doesn't change the character in any notable way.

I had far more serious problems in the last series with Dr. Doom being another scientist that was caught in the same accident and somehow developed a metal exoskeleton. My understanding is that in the new series he's some kind of computer hacker with megalomaniacal tendencies, which probably makes more sense than him being the despotic emperor of a European country.

7. progrocker71

Granted, I can understand the nostalgia aspect concerning the characters. But I will say that a lot of the comments on Facebook and other social media sites had other issues with the casting that are shall we see...a subject matter that isn't allowed on this board.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

9. progrocker71

Do you see the point because you have watched performances by those actors and don't like them? Or just because you have no idea who they are? Just curious.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

why some may not like the new cast...me personally? I'm interested in the story. I will not judge the actors until I see the movie.

11. progrocker71

Cool. Like I said, was just curious.

12. DreadPikathulhu

Full trailer. It looks good. My only concern at this point is Doom.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'll go see it, and it may be good. . . .But it doesn't seem like FF to me, I'll just think of it differently. . . like "Doom Patrol" maybe. ;)

14. DreadPikathulhu

I noticed in the new trailer that Reed doesn't appear to have grey hair. One of the things that bothered me about the last two films was that they took a younger actor and added obviously fake grey hair to match his comic appearance. Unless they've got an actor in his 40s (which is the age I always pictured Reed as being), don't even bother with trying to give him grey hair.

A Doom Patrol movie could be pretty incredible, especially if they took it in a surrealistic direction.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. progrocker71

It actually looks more interesting to me than the Batman v. Superman film. I just watched Chronicle for the first time a couple days ago and thought the director created some impressive action setups on a minimal budget, so I think he's got the eye to get good use out of the available budget here.

16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Then I guess you haven't seen Billy Elliot, the film that put Jamie Bell on the map. Also made appearances in Peter Jackson's King Kong and also played Tintin, and will continue to portray the character in the sequel, once Peter Jackson is finished with the Extended Cut of the last Hobbit movie.

As for this movie, I just don't know. Fox is clearly making this movie simply to hang onto the rights by not having the F4 property in reverting back to Disney/Marvel. A shame though as I do think the Fantastic Four along with Doctor Doom is a missing piece of the puzzle with regards to the MCU. To think Kevin Feige and Co. would make Doom so much more intimidating not to mention the likes of Galactus and the Silver Surfer not being present in the Cosmic Universe as I'd love to see Silver Surfer involved in the Infinity War somewhere. He's had his run ins with Thanos many a time I'm sure.

17. progrocker71

I have seen Billy Elliot, didn't realize it was the same guy.

FVDnz likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, bad news from the industry trades about Fantastic Four director Josh Trank:

Trank raised eyebrows when he didn't show up for a planned presentation at Disney's Star Wars Celebration in April. At the time, Disney and Trank said he was not feeling well, with Trank tweeting that he had "worst flu of my life." But sources say Trank was asked by Disney executives not to attend the event.

Rumors have persisted that Fox is unhappy with Trank's performance on Fantastic Four and that Kinberg, who is producing both that film and the second Star Wars spinoff, was getting cold feet about working with Trank again.

[​IMG]

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-standalone-film-loses-792892

So far, the trailers don't impress me, but maybe it's me. After the last couple of years, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that the only people who know how to make superhero movies are Marvel & Disney. Sony has kind of flubbed it with the last Spiderman and Green Hornet, Warner's has made some awful films (like Green Lantern), and some of the X-Men movies haven't been great.

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'd like to see the 2015 Fantastic Four vs. the 2005 Fantastic Four. Let's see who really is fantastic.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  20. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Disney/Marvel has produced some duds as well. The 2nd and 3rd Iron Man movies aren't very good and pretty much survive on RDJ's performance as Tony Stark. Fox has done surprisingly well with the X-Men franchise although the Wolverine movies and X-Men 3 are pretty bad. Sony seems to have thrown up their hands, baffled how to do a decent Spider-man movie since they rebooted it and has cashed in the franchise in some sort of (profit) "sharing" agreement with Marvel for future movies or at least appearances of the character in Marvel films.

But the word among those who have some sort of involvement with this new FF movie is that it's pretty bad even taking into account it's a fairly different (and of course, "dark") take on the classic comic book series and was made primarily with the intent that Fox keeps possession of the franchise and the numerous iconic characters from lapsing back to Marvel & Disney. Interestingly, Marvel has ceased production of *any* Fantastic Four comic series and will not allow any other Marvel comic to use the large number of FF-centric characters (such as Dr Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Mole Man, etc) in the near future to limit as much as possible any inadvertent promotion of what is basically a competing studio's movie. If the movie does suck as bad as rumored, Fox will be batting 3 for 3 as the previous two FF movies were among the worst Marvel Comics-based movies ever.

BTW, Trank is now off the untitled Star Wars stand alone movie due in 2018 after spending a year in pre-production. He says he "left" to pursue other original ideas, but it sounds like he was basically asked to leave by Disney in large part due to the already bad word of mouth FF is getting inside the industry.

FVDnz and Vidiot like this.
  21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Trank's Fantastic Four has generated a lot of negative buzz even during the pre-production stage not to mention casting Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm which was the biggest spit in the face to the original canon overall. And changing Doom's name to Domashev, oh don't get me started. This will be F4 in name only much like that awful Halle Berry Catwoman movie several years back. I truly hope Fox comes to their senses and strikes a deal with Marvel/Disney to allow characters from the Fantastic 4 property to exist in the MCU like what Sony is allowing now with Spider-Man. Hopefully this is the way the wind is blowing after that epic deal was made. Just can't get over the possibilities of the likes of Doctor Doom taking on the Avengers for example, or Silver Surfer and Galactus existing in the Cosmic Universe, the Fantastic 4 and the Negative Zone, oh the possibilities. :)

Speaking of the Silver Surfer, apparently Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn revealed today that before the X-Men films came out he had written a treatment for Norrin Radd dealing with Galactus about 16 years ago. Talk about coming full circle with his awesome GotG film last year though.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"How did we get this far?
    Human beings have an immeasurable desire to discover,
    to invent, to build
    Our future depends on us furthering these ideals
    a responsibility that rests on the shoulders of generations to come
    but with every new discovery there is risk
    there is sacrifice
    and there are consequences."

"Human beings have an immeasurable desire" -- kind of an odd choice of words, but I'll let it slide

"Our future depends on us furthering these ideals" -- These "ideals" of "immeasurable desire?" How can something immeasurable be an model of perfection? What?

"a responsibility that rests of the shoulders of generations to come" -- Our responsibly to further these immeasurable desires "rests on the shoulders" of future generations? Huh? Nonsensical. Meaningless!

The first time I watched that trailer (just now), the voice in the back of my mind said: "Did that just make any sense?" But the guy had a deep voice and there was the pretentious repetition of two piano notes for suspense, so it must have been profound!

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Scott222C likes this.
  23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Saw the new FF trailer today at the movies. Looks pretty good. However the Ant Man trailer still puts me to sleep.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Shouldn't he get the grey stripes after exposure to gamma rays?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.