Marvel's Inhumans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

As the Defenders series went on it became the home for C and D listers who couldn’t support their own comic and as a result could be pretty fun. The TV show does the opposite and as a result i’d rather watch the characters I like in their own show.

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I somehow haven't been able to find the Inhumans after the first two episodes. Don't know if it got any worse or improved. That leaves me with Star Trek: Discovery as my main fantasy must-see (despite groaning over the recent Mudd appearances although the bf likes him). Supergirl and The Gifted I'll have to catch up one episode with using 'on demand'. You care right? :D

I think the Ghost Rider would be a better choice for a tv series than most of the super-heroes and super-spies they keep doing. Imagine if they did the cross-over with the older western cowboy Ghost Rider? Very visual without the spandex crowd having to be involved.

3. DreadPikathulhu

I think super-hero dramas are going to start fading fast. I was a fan of the comics and I’m getting pretty sick of it. A western Ghost Rider series would be interesting if they avoided any time travel elements.

The most recent episode was bleh. They managed to kill off one of the characters I liked which makes me less eager to hope for a season 2.

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What did you think of Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance?

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. I'm still enjoying The Inhumans, but realize its shortcomings. The Gifted is turning into Heroes, although as that show was a take on The X-Men it's come full circle.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I see what you're saying but don't think logically you can say that as really you just don't know. Two of the biggest films of recent times were Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool. Neither A list, many Marvel fans would struggle to remember a Guardians comic. Also Legion was a minor baddie with very few appearances but that was a great show.

See I don't think it matters if the group/hero is A list or D list - it all depends on the creative vision of the people making it and the talent on show. Do it right and you can have a hit with virtually any character.

I'm not exaggerating but I could come up with a better basic premise and tone and feel, and write better scripts, than I see on Inhumans and some other shows.

Stormrider77, Lonson and alexpop like this.
  7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Good point!

I don't know how it's aged, but at the time Series 1 of Heroes was just brilliant TV. Brilliantly cast and well written and I knew quite a few non-comics fans who loved it (a few older women at work).

Lonson likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

Both GoG and Deadpool had very different premises than the other Marvel movies; GoG is a sci-fi adventure and Deadpool works as a comedy. From the trailers, it looks like they're going to comedy route with the new Thor movie after the first two were less than memorable.

The only Marvel character that can come up with that *might* work on TV as a light action-comedy would be Ka-Zar. Set it in the Savage Land, have occasional dinosaur or alien appearances and avoid the rest of the Marvel universe, and get a hunk to run around in a loincloth. I'd watch the heck out of that.

beccabear67 likes this.
  9. beccabear67

Maybe if they did the manopause mid-life crisis Ka-Zar from the early '80s comic books, that could be fun. :D

I just found that all the Inhumans episodes I've missed are available on demand, but they were filed under M for Marvel's Inhumans where Id been looking under 'The' and 'I' before. :laugh:

I'll give Episodes 3-6 a try soon.

I liked both Ghost Rider movies I saw with Cage, but I think I would want someone else as Johnny Storm for TV even if Cage would do it. I'd like to have some carnival and side-show characters as semi-regulars to start. I think this could really work well with a wide audience like the old '70s Hulk show did with a charismatic lead actor or two. :thumbsup:

alexpop likes this.
  10. beccabear67

I'm caught up now and ready to check out episode 7 tonight. Really glad the first family of the moon has come around to seeing their own fascist tendencies (thanks to the influence of some of us kindly earthlings) and that Max's true colors are showing in that area. I can't believe they've already written two of the Inhumans out though... how do you go on very far from that? This is the same mistake they keep making in the comics, and they always have to restart or go through some extreme gymnastics to bring whoever they offed back. The trend really got going back in 1980 when they Phoenix in the X-Men died, but that made a lot of sense and was very effective, plus a phoenix rises from it's ashes everyone knows... how it got into this stage of eye-rolling yawn-inducing cheap attempt at meaningful emotion or sales gimmick just shows a lack of understanding of the format I feel. I don't look down on melodrama and watch various soaps past and present, it's just that colorful super-powered people are not soap opera, at least not entirely, any more than they are mature literature (just inherently impossible unless you either get rid of the fantasy powers and trapping or somehow really do a heavy job on scientific or logical verisimilitude). So maybe Triton and Gorgon will magically or semi-logically reappear at some point if this tv series goes on.

I'm enjoying it well enough and there are some surprises (unlike the killing off of main characters). Fun adventure with some genuine ideas to think about is a good thing.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

terrible show...even my wife quit watching.

shokhead likes this.
  12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Seems like they cut Medusa's hair just to save money on CGI.

And Black Bolt in the 'lore' can fly, has superhuman strength and agility yet is captured by a cop with a taser?

13. beccabear67

I thought the big finale episode was the best one. Glad I made it through to it. I guess if they do second series it can pick up from there with a mostly clean slate set on Earth if they want. There just may not be enough unique about the Inhumans from the X-Men to really be worth the effort though. Any story about persecuted outsiders in hiding with powers is going to be more relatable with mutants from Earth than royalty from the moon.

14. DreadPikathulhu

I felt that the story could have been done in 3-4 episodes and quite a bit of the interactions of the Inhumans with the humans could have been cut. No word on a second season but I wouldn’t mind one if they learn from the mistakes of the first one.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    beccabear67 likes this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I slogged through to the end. Personally I find it unlikely there will be a second season. If there is I hope they rethink many aspects of the direction and cinematography.

16. There is little chance Inhumans comes back for a second season. Your best hope is seeing one or two characters appear on Agents of SHIELD.

17. alexpop

Is Jack Kirby's "New Gods" gigantic book worth getting it has a black & white illustration on the cover?

18. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

I have the individual volumes from a few years ago and while the artwork is fantastic and the ideas are often great, Kirby works much better with someone else doing the dialogue.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Not fourth world : Cover black & white drawing.
    Large and thick. Didn't have chance to flick through it.

21. DreadPikathulhu

I'm not a fan of the ombibuses that are coming out; they're too big to read comfortably and DC's digital strategy sucks. I was able to pick up the two Inhumans Marvel Masterworks volumes on Comixology for under $8.

22. alexpop

Jack Kirby's drawings /concepts are stunning.

23. alexpop

Think DC are on to a winner with their The New Gods film planned with Ava DuVernay directing (Big Barda is fave comic hero).

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.