Marvel's Iron Fist on Netflix 3/17

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterbozz, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Nope, just boring missionary in order to ensure the suvival of the species.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This is a problem trying translate 1970's characters in this time..
    Marvel, needs to stop with netflix stuff. I read a lot 70's comics
    by marvel.. whats next Tomb Of Dracula? Moonknight.? please.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think they have a viable plan. . . they are introducing these characters, then tying them all together with The Defenders. I don't think there's more on the horizon for some time.

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Yes, it was reviews, not ratings.

I think it's a bogus excuse. I haven't seen any outrage over millionaires Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark.

5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I have to say, the Season got better towards the end but there is still room for improvement. Here's hoping they iron out the mistakes and make a potential Season 2 better in terms of quality.

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I have watched 3 episodes.

I'll be honest and say that its more interesting so far than Jones or Cage. I managed to get to episodes 4 of both of those.

However, the thing I'm finding interesting is him getting the company back (for some reason I enjoying watching 1%'ers sweat). Once that's resolved in the next episode (I'm sure) it will then be armies of sodding never-ending ninjas (Like the last season of Daredevil which spoiled it for me) and I'll switch off.

Really other than Daredevil the two other shows were highly over-rated IMO. J Jones could have been negated in the first episode with earplugs or asking a deaf person to punch Tennant in the throat. Show over. As for Cage, I really don't know how much storytelling mileage there is a man with a bullet-proof ass.

I just want the Punisher series. That would have more going for it as a fearless guy with nothing to lose ****ing bad peoples **** up. Nothing angsty just good hard hitting action.

Snoflo1998 and Karsten like this.
  7. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Wow... I'd be down for both of them!

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Inhumans is next. And they do indeed have a huge Lockjaw.

I don't really care what characters they use as long as it's done well and there is a good story. I think in that context anything can work.

9. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

4 eps in, I'm diggin' it a bit. I'll go 13.

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Must watch?!?

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just occurred to me, all the times ol' Lockjaw showed up (which was quite often back in the day!). He's NEVER been shown actually moving! They could easily just build a big ol' model and have it stand around!;)

BTW, I would be all- in on a Tomb Of Dracula show!

Jim B. likes this.
  12. jmobrien68

I'm really confused by all the controversy this show is causing. Just read an article how there is an Asian-American actor who seemed upset he didn't get the lead role in the series (but does show up in a fight scene - don't want to give spoilers) despite the fact that Danny Rand was always a white guy in the comic books. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but was there controversy over them casting an African American to play the lead in Luke Cage or that they cast a woman to play the lead in Jessica Jones?

FVDnz likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Kinda/sorta feels like some kind of bizarro reverse racism thing where because it has some kung fu in it, the lead should automatically be an oriental. Really stupid.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I wouldn't blame the actor. He was just answering questions from a reporter trying to make some editorial hay.

15. jmobrien68

16. Ken_McAlinden

17. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I'm actually loving this show. I like the time devoted to character development! The action was a bit slow-paced in the early episodes, but worked fine (and seemed more like real life). I hear the action/pace improves as it goes, and it's the characters themselves who will keep me going back over the long haul. Feels authentic.

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

:laugh:

19. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member Thread Starter

I got through to the end, probably enjoyed it episode for episode more than Luke Cage, despite its flaws.
    I do almost wish they had stopped at episode 12, in my opinion the last episode 13 was a bit of a damp squib of a finale.

20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

What a joke!!! Why these people are ignoring the fact that Danny Rand was never Asian and yet continues to complain that he should be is astounding! Read a bloody comic people, jeez! Though I do think that actually filming in China rather than using a distant location in NY/NJ to pretend that it is China is pretty cheap if you ask me. Going back to cheap production values, they could have built a Chinese location set for crying out loud. Quite frankly, they obviously rushed production of this show to get through to The Defenders to be perfectly honest. The Defenders better be worth it. And the pronunciation of K'un Lun should be pronounced how it ought to be in Mandarin. Some authenticity too would have been nice.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

2 episodes in and I'm loving it so far.

22. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you can make a martial arts show and the first thought that runs through your head isn't "Let's get Corey Yuen Kwai or Yuen Woo Ping." I mean, what's wrong with you ;)?

23. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Original source material, perhaps?

25. Ken_McAlinden

The complaint is not about fidelity to source material so much as Asian representation in western media and frustration that not even a show centering around aspects of Asian culture can manage to have an Asian lead. The expressed frustration is based on a larger topic that's outside the realm of acceptable discussion topics at SHF, so for the sake of the thread, I would recommend steering clear from this point forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.