Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by progrocker71, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you haven't watched Daredevil yet you really should, it's also very un-Marvel in tone and execution.

I like these two series because they are aimed squarely at adults and that's a nice change of pace now and again.

Bender Rodriguez and kwadguy like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Right. That's what attracted me to the shows, as opposed to the usual kiddie productions. It's the same reason I wish Netflix would commit to a serious scifi show (pity they're not doing the new Trek).

There are literally hundreds of great scifi books and book series out there that could be picked up and made great with serious production values that Netflix usually brings to bear. Syfy is sort of starting to explore this vast repository of work (Childhood's End, The Expanse, etc), but I'd have a lot more faith in a Netflix production.

turnersmemo likes this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I was so hoping for a Daredevil appearance when Claire Temple showed up in the series.

Would have been great.

Tree of Life likes this.
  4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

What a great show! Just finished watching. Daredevil I liked too, but am clearly more impressed with Jessica. Killgrave is a marvelous villain, and it's a pity that he is used in such a small context. He deserves to be the Avengers' opponent no less! And the protagonist is something unlike we've seen from Marvel before. Alas, we'll be getting Luke Cage and Defenders instead of Jessica season 2, but I still keep hope. Great series, highly recommended.

davenav and Tree of Life like this.
  5. tommy-thewho

I agree on Killgrave. David Tenant stole the show.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah...When Jessica convinced him to work for good, one episode, I was hoping that maybe they'd go that direction for a while--an unreliable but extremely powerful ally for good, walking a fine line where you never knew how long he'd remain (relatively) good...That seemed like an interesting path...If they'd followed things in that direction for a while, his plotline could easily have lasted more than one season. (Presumably he would never be ultimately trustworthy and at the end of the day you'd still wind up having to take him out...)

7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Just finished watching the series and for me it ranks up with Breaking Bad and House of Cards in terms of "watchability", in other words it is very compelling television. My wife usually doesn't much enjoy the superhero stuff but this one really appealed to her as well.

One thing the first season of JJ impressed me with was just how much plot they chewed through in every episode starting with Ep 4. Walking Dead could certainly take a cue from JJ regarding plot pacing. There were episodes where we were just stunned by how much happened, you rarely see that much plot exposition on a series.

Looks like we may get a season 2 eventually but apparently Luke Cage and Defenders will be up first.

davenav and musicalbeds like this.
  8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

And "Iron Fist". This obviously is meant to be a TV equivalent of the Avengers, only more gritty and for a slightly more adult audience. So far it's been great (Daredevil. JJ), let's see if they can keep this up.

Wounded Land, davenav and musicalbeds like this.
  9. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Haven't caught DD yet, guess that's next. Can't imagine it's better than JJ but even if it's close we'll be on board.

wolfram likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's much better actually.

Veech likes this.
  11. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I'm now eight episodes into Daredevil and I've watched Jessica Jones entirely. I really love them both, although Daredevil by a nose. I'm waiting and wondering if Jessica Jones shows up in Daredevil. After all, she was Matt Murdock's bodyguard for some time in the comics. On that note, I'm waiting to see if Danny Rand(AKA Iron Fist) pops in on an episode, he becomes and still is one of Daredevils closet friends.

davenav likes this.
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Officially picked up for a second season. :goodie:

davenav, Tree of Life and wolfram like this.
  13. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Finished watching Daredevil yesterday. Can't wait for season two of both of them.

davenav likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

Daredevil comes on in March.

If I had to pick I would pick Daredevil as it has more action but darn their both very good.

Tree of Life and davenav like this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Will these ever come out on discs!?:confused:

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Pretty much every other Netfilx hit (well, not Bojack Horseman, yet.) has, so it's extremely likely.

17. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Loki to Jessica's Thor. Would have been a good reason to bring him back occasionally.

18. Siggy

Siggy New Member

Yup, pretty dark and gritty. And David Tennent is turning out to be one the the great actors _ I refer you to Dr. Who and Broadchurch.

davenav likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

No spoilers here, but just finished the whole thing and I surprisingly enjoyed it even more than Daredevil. It was amazingly dark. I did not know much about Jessica, but her dark backstory makes Batman's history look like a fairytale. My only caveat about the series is that often the writers would ham handedly move characters and situations around to obviously set a needed plot piece into place, and it would be too telegraphed to the audience. Not to say there weren't some wonderfully dark surprises in store. Overall, my favorite comic transfer in film or television ever, and certainly the darkest and most desturbing. Dark Knight is a Saturday morning cartoon compared to this testimony to the twisted places minds and control can go. Well done!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's great to see this show getting such universal praise. Daredevil, too.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Looks like I need to watch this & "Daredevil" even though I try to stay away from the superhero movies (find them campy and dull).

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I do too, but Daredevil (S1) is excellent (it' almost has a Better Call Saul style of smart narrative mixed in with some quality, high octane action pieces). Jessica Jones less so, but still well worth a look.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'll watch. I respect your opinion a lot. :thumbsup:

Deesky likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Oh no! You're bound to hate them then! :D

GodShifter likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, after watching both DD and JJ, your reputation is still intact. ;)

Both are really good shows that are able to transcend the comic book cheesiness of so many other Marvel vehicles. In some ways, I wish they'd push the envelope a bit more, but I can't complain too much.

From just seeing both back to back, I think Jessica Jones is maybe the better of the two. Not sure exactly why but it seems a better story and Kilgrave is a really good, complex villain who you sympathize a bit with but, ultimately, really hate. I love his "gift". I wish I had it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.