Marvel's LUKE CAGE coming to Netflix Sept 30, 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Looks pretty good. Rosario Dawson pulls the hat trick, appearing here as well as Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

I've enjoyed what Netflix have done so far with their Marvel shows and this looks to be continuing that good run. Looking forward to this one.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

This looks good. I can't wait.

:goodie:

4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Looks like another must watch !

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn't rate the seventies comic.
    Not really a fan for non super power hero's i.e. Can't fly etc.. With the exception of Capt America ( yeah and the film version of Iron Man). That includes Batman/Dark Knight.Folks rate it, fair do's.

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Looks good.

7. wolfram

He's indestructible and super strong. How are these not super powers?

Bender Rodriguez and Hall Cat like this.
  8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I suppose I'll give this a try. I quite enjoyed "Jessica Jones", and his character was fine in that (though the sex scenes with Jessica Jones were laugh-out-loud ridiculous and embarrassing). But his character didn't scream to me "This needs to have its own show!"

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I will definitely be watching this.

10. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Can't wait for this. Netflix got it bang on with their Marvel TV shows. Can't wait for Jessica Jones season 2 and Daredevil season 3.

Veech likes this.
  11. Veech

Jessica Jones was our first Netflix Marvel show. We followed up with the two seasons of DD. I dig Kristen Ritter and really look forward to JJ season 2 more than anything else on Netflix.

starfieldroad, Rubber65 and DLeet like this.
  12. wolfram

Watched the first two episodes last night and I'm not yet sure what to think of it. Pretty slow going. And so far neither the good nor the bad guys are nearly as interesting as those in Jessica Jones.

It has a nice Blaxpotation vibe, though.

starfieldroad likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've seen 9 eps so far. I think it's pretty good, but you are right, its biggest weakness is the slow pacing. It feels like there's 8 eps worth of material that's being stretched out to 13. But that criticism aside, it is quite good and the developments are interesting (when they finally come around).
    I don't agree with that. This show is much, much better than Jessica Jones and its pantomime villain. There are many more layers in Cage as the season progresses and it's more realistic (within the confines of the genre).
    I don't agree with this either. It's clearly and unapologetically a black-centric show, but it never feels exploitative in the sense of the 70s blaxploitation touchstones. There is however a lot of great music, with some chords echoing the 70s scene, but only subtly so.

Anyway, overall I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

14. wolfram

I'm looking forward to seeing more of it, then. But I really liked Jessica Jones.
    Yes, my "Blaxploitation" association came mostly from the music.

15. Veech

wayneklein likes this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

They are super powers, but as with Jessica Jones, I find them to be pretty dull, unoriginal powers. They're just super tough. It's good for a knock down, drag out a fight sequence, I guess, but it doesn't leave much room for creativity.

17. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I wish Netflix would dial the violence, sex and language back a notch or two. Too many scenes with bullets ripping through people with blood exploding out, swords and blades going through bodies… it's targeted toward kids?

18. I don't think it's targeted towards kids...adults and older teens maybe.

I've enjoyed the show so far. The first couple of episodes were w bit slow going but I did appreciate the way the origin story was introduced. A very good show that doesn't quite reach the level of Daredevil.

True but I think the gritty street take and location of Harlem kind of make ip for it. The show reminds me of a 70's blaxploitation film and some of the 70's TV shows with its Soul music soundtrack and even the look of the series.

I think The Defenders will improve on this situation. I would have loved to see Dr. strange as part of the group (as he was in the comics) but the film is going g to preclude that.

Diamondback should have been introduced sooner.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  19. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Three episodes in... love the music scenes so far, esp Charles Bradley and Faith Evans (oh... my... god...)

Stone Turntable and Dubmart like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've seen the whole season now. My assessment overall is that it's pretty weak tea.
    Some spoilers...

The overall narrative revolving around the 'big bad' is pretty uninspired and can be summed up as major 'daddy issues'. The (half)sibling rivalry was wholly uninteresting (no, I don't know anything about the comics).

The next weakest link other than laggy, stretched out pacing is the portrait of police and policing. That Inspector Priscilla was dreadful. A bad actor who just pouts and postures, making bad decisions and delivering bad dialog - ugh!

The 'science' behind Luke's abilities was a bit hokey. It would have been better if they left it vague, rather than going back to the tub recovery scene mid-season where they throw random bits in the tub like salt and an electrical appliance(!) to fix him. So, so bad.

But there were good bits too. There were many good scenes sprinkled throughout the season (if not often in a single episode), with good character moments. Scenes with Luke, Misty Knight, Claire Temple (she lifts every scene she's in), Pop are always a delight and Mariah Dillard & 'Cottonmouth' were also good.

Also on the plus side, lots of good music, but also some not so good music (basically, all rap numbers).

However, the overall product suffered from too much melodrama, not enough serious story and poor pacing. Fewer, tighter episodes would have helped. Binge watching also helped - I'd hate to have to watch this one week at a time.

Ken_McAlinden likes this.
  21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Watched the whole thing over the weekend (I'm not proud of that, but my family may forgive me some day :sigh:). The music was the best of all of the Marvel series so far. The cast is really good. I could watch Alfre Woodard and Simone Missick verbally spar all day (and almost did! :laugh:).

It has more than a few clunky moments and plot holes, probably due to trying to stretch not quite enough plot out across 13 episodes. I did not like it as much as the first seasons of Daredevil or Jessica Jones, mostly because the "big bad" was not as compelling. Do not want to get too specific about that due to spoilers. That being said, I obviously still liked it enough to burn through the whole thing in a weekend. :thumbsup:

Stone Turntable likes this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

She's not that bad of an actress, but the role was pretty thankless and not well thought out. I wonder if they only had a limited window with Sonja Sohn who played Captain Betty Audrey. There was not a really good story reason why they could not have consolidated those two characters in to one that was supportive and competent while also being politically astute.

Deesky likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, lots of clunky moments, like the repeated on-purpose 'corny' quips - it was way overused. The other thing that felt clunky and bolted-on were the oblique references to other Marvel dudes, like the geen monster, or the guy with the magic hammer, etc. These references felt so manufactured that it often took me out of the story.

But I did get a mighty big chuckle out of one scene when Shades calls out to Willis 'Diamondback' Stryker and says "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?". :D

24. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Binge watched Luke over several days; my assessment is 3 1/2 to 4 stars out of 5. I didn't mind the occasional superhero references as the characters are part of the Marvel universe. The pacing stretched out a bit long, but always with forward momentum and no obvious plot-holes were detected. There were misdirections and clever lines to maintain viewer interest. This may not be everyone's cuppa tea, but overall, Luke Cage is solid entertainment, with good acting, tight script & a more complex storyline than expected. :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Seen the first episode and it was rubbish. Looks as though they're not going the Hero For Hire route. Why? Why?? It was the major part of his raison d'etre. AND, where's his 'fro and silver tiara & wrist-band set? If I haven't seen a yellow shirt by the third episode I'm gone. It's not meant to be the Sopranos, it's an entirely different beast. Use the past to its best advantage, update it, sure, but you don't have to go the house-style direction all the time. Been done with Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Move on. Best thing about the (only) episode I've seen was Alfre Woodard. Quality performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.