Marvel's The Defenders - Netflix 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

A trailer for Netflix's Defenders series due to arrive summer/fall 2017

Tree of Life and Wounded Land like this.
  2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Related:

Wounded Land likes this.
  3. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

New trailer

The Hand, and Elektra have easily been the worst part of all of these shows imo. I'm just not into it, but I'll remain optimistic, as I've enjoyed all the shows thus far, especially Daredevil & Cage.

Tree of Life likes this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Starts in a couple of hours

5. tommy-thewho

Not a big Jessica fan but will start around 5:00 pm watching.

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I hope we get less of the stupid Iron Fist and his world and more of the others.

Henryflowr likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

After 3 episodes my Netflix locked up and wouldn't play #4

8. Got through to 5 so far. Enjoying this. Even the irritating Fister has settleled in for me.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks cheap.

10. Have you watched it? It had great directing and production value. The entire series does.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just trailer.
    Im usually wrong.
    No doubt eat humble pie when DVD is available.

12. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Episode 8, though.

That empty doorway caused something to be in my eye.

13. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

1st two episodes were pretty good. I thought Iron Fist was actually pretty decent. Not nearly as bad as many have made it out to be imo, just some spotty acting here & there, and the occasional roll eye at some of the writing. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes. So far, it seems like a worthy follow up to the stories told from these heroes so far.

Vidiot and Mazzy like this.
  14. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Be thankful, ...your Fairy God-Netflix may be looking out for you! My wife & I binge-watched the entire series (we're both fans of the Daredevil, Jessica Jones & Luke Cage series, but were disappointed by Iron Fist). The first three Defenders episodes were pretty good, but overall ...with the exception of the group fight scene... this series just failed to rock'n roll me.

In fact, I'm starting to wonder if embarrassment might've been the real reason Tony Stark moved Marvel's A-list heroes upstate.

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Walt likes this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Like pretty much all of them, with the exception of Daredevil S1.

Laibach likes this.
  16. R. Cat Conrad

I changed that hit & miss line because the pun lacked punch. Like I said, the only Netflix Marvel series we didn't care for at all was Ham Fist, ...err Iron Fist.

Cat

17. I through to Ep 6 Really enjoying it.

18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Loved it all. Maybe a bit too noir for my tastes but that's what's popular, so you can understand why Marvel/Netflix wouldn't want to ditch a winning formula. Roll on a second series.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm a big comicbook guy but....I've seen Daredevil and Jessica Jones but skipped Luke Cage & Iron Fist (mind you, I bought the #1's of these guys when they were originally released!). I also bought the 1st Defenders book when it was released. The originals were Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, Namor the Sub Mariner, the Hulk! A group that could probably beat the Avengers AND the Justice League at the same time!;) Give me a show with THESE guys and I'm all in!

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  20. exactly it is noirish. Thank god is not loud and campy like the Avengers. .

Lonson likes this.
  21. Luke Cage is the best written and directed of the lot. It takes longer to get going but it's really amazing imho. Smart writing.

Has a great 70s feel like Gordon Park's Shaft.

22. R. Cat Conrad

Mazzy, noir has nothing to do with a strong or weak production. Both Daredevil & Jessica Jones had a very noirish, claustrophobic atmosphere and both were great. By contrast (no pun intended), Luke Cage was shot heavily toward sepia ...exemplifying a nostalgic 70's-ish film look... and Iron Fist was primarily filmed in daylight with a mix of simple modern interiors indicative of Eastern and European design. To their credit, the Defenders production team did endeavor to mix these conflicting styles without drawing too much attention to it, but everything still comes across as noir.

From my perspective, the Avengers films never venture into camp. They are loud for sure, but imbued with the kind of cocky humor for which old school Marvel comics are famed. Still, it's a tough balancing act for screenwriters to build humor within tension and Marvel Studios should be commended on this achievement.

Note: Camp is the kind of eyerolling, over-the-top silliness exemplified by the 60's era Batman series (BIFF!, BAM!, POW!, ZING!). D.C. has pretty much done a full 180 from those cheesy-whiz days to the point that most of their current films are just dismally dark and totally bereft of humor.

Cat

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Andy Smith likes this.
  23. Actually I do know what noir is.

Maybe camp was not what I meant about the Avengers though. They are very comic book like. The Defenders takes a somewhat more serious approach with a much more realistic environment surrounding the stories.

Avengers does tend to have a more tounge and cheek approach in much of its dialogue. Goes fir the laughs at times. Defenders hardly goes there. They just happen to have special abilities. .

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's a spectrum. The above example belongs in the uber-camp end of the spectrum.

How is cocky humor by dudes in tights not campy? :D

Mazzy likes this.
  25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Camp needs a dash of tacky.

Stormrider77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.