Marvin Gaye in the 70's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

2. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I hope this is the right thread, because I'm quite new to Marvin Gaye's music and I have some questions!

I recently purchased the CD version of Volume 3. It contains his studio albums from What's Going On to In My Lifetime ($25, good deal!). I listened to What's Going On several years ago but I never gave it a chance to grow on me. Now, after giving it another chance, I have to say I can't remember the last time I've fallen in love with a recording. I haven't stopped listening to it the last few days. I've also checked out Trouble Man, which is pretty good too. The What's Going On disc sounds great, but Trouble Man only sounds okay. Does anyone else have this set? I had a small hope these were newly remastered but I imagine these were taken from the most recent stand-alone discs. Does anyone know where these remasters are sourced from? I can't find any info ANYWHERE.

Next question, I'm wondering if anyone would share opinions on his aborted Love Man album? I was thinking of buying the deluxe edition of In Our Lifetime to compile my own version of it, but I'm unsure of what it sounds like.

Finally, speaking of unreleased Marvin Gaye, I never realized how much DIDN'T get released. I had no idea he was so prolific. A lot of this stuff is on the Deluxe Editions, mostly alternate mixes, but song outtakes too. Then there are also box sets like The Master and Anthology. It's quite difficult to keep track of all the vaulted stuff because there are so many different collections, with unique tracks, different versions of tracks, etc. And I'm not really fond of compilations like The Master or Anthology because it's mostly comprised of songs that are already on the studio albums; the outtakes are more or less sprinkled in. I'm also only interested in his 70's period, really. Would anyone care to recommend what is essential of the stuff that is outside of his studio albums.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can :)

3. mds

mds Forum Resident

4. DarylB

DarylB Forum Resident

Did anyone see Marvin back in 1972 in Chicago during Jesse Jackson's,PUSH Expo event with him performing with The Funk Brothers and it's on film?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.