Marvin Gaye "What's Goin On" MFSL SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by let him run..., Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

"Let's Get it On" SACD comparison redux!

So...what's the consensus here?!:)

2. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Bump!

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Personally, I did not like the 1st sacd Let's get it on....mastered by Darcey.
    I liked the SACD Let's get it on from MFSL tremendously.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Will there ever be an agreement about a new Mofi title here? ;)

The 2 discs are tremendous IMO and should be added by any fan.

5. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I can say that the two LPs are amazing. Would be surprised if the SACD is much different.

6. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

What exactly about the first version of the SACD that you didn't like? Considering it's a multichannel disc, I'm wondering if you (or anyone else who has it) can tell me how the (second) MOFI version stereo SACD layer bests either the SACD multichannel layer or SACD stereo layer of the first version. For example, I know that tape hiss in between tracks is considered the first audible mark of a good mastering in that it hasn't been futzed with.

7. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Hiss between the tracks doesn't indicate anything, other than the fact the hiss between the tracks wasn't removed. Nearly every CD has the hiss between the tracks removed (assuming there is actual silent "banding" between the songs on the album). Doing so doesn't affect the sound quality of the rest of the album at all.

What you might be thinking of is that a lot of mastering engineers have gotten into the bad "habit" of using noise reduction techniques during the fades, to reduce the more obvious tape hiss as a track gets quieter. That's a big no-no, in many people's opinions.

8. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Its been a long time since I've listened to the first sacd of Let's get it on, but I found it mastered loud and compressed.

This new sacd sounds great.

9. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

i don't have a SACD player, but the redbook of What's Goin On sounds great to me. i'm no expert but the compressor/limiters used(?) with Motown then seem to me to often be aggressive in the vocal range. there are some Temptations songs that are similar, 'Unite The World', 'Love Can Be Anything'... quite compressed and the mid range is pretty loud.
    so, my convoluted point of view is that the MFSL What's Goin On is revealing more of that element. The disc isn't loud level wise but to the ear if it's cranked in the car, some vocals moments are pretty in your face.
    just my early morning thoughts, discard them if needed! :cheers:

10. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I have only listened to the SACD layer of the new MFSL Marvin Gaye discs - they were nicely done.

Abraxas (Santana) was nicely done too.:thumbsup:

11. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

How does the redbook of the SACD compare to the remastered original album contained on the Let's Get It One "Deluxe Edition" which was issued circa 2001?

Thanks!

12. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

How is the MFSL What's Going On by Marvin Gaye?

Just was wondering? Does it compare better or worse than the 2002 cd version? Any one listen to MFSL vinyl of it?

13. art

art Senior Member

I think it's the best version, by a clear margin.

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Favorably, against all the numerous options IMH. :thumbsup:

15. John Sanders

John Sanders New Member

It's good.

16. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I just bought the Mofi vinyl and it's phenomenal. I've never heard the 2002 CD version though.

17. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The best! SACD/CD or Vinyl.

18. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I have the SACD and vinyl, best I have heard.

19. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

I haven't heard the SACD layer of What's Going On yet, but the CD layer is very well done. Vocals are dead on. Let's Get It On is even better though if you ask me - especially the title track. I actually jumped when the hand clapping came in.

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I'm glad I got both MoFi sacd/cd and vinyl, although both are still sealed. My "go to" LP these days is the 1980s Motown (I have an extra sealed one of these too). It beats my "in shrink" original TAMLA.

21. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:agree:

I prefer the LP to the SACD. Mofi did a great job on this one.

22. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Agreed. That's a good one! :righton:

23. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

So, has anyone compared the 80's Motown lp to the new MOFI vinyl? I have the 80's Motown and love it, but if the MOFI betters it...well, I just might be buying another new record (much to my wife's dismay).

24. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I really like the MFSL "What's Going On" vinyl--they really did a superb job.

It seems more vibrant and clear than the 80s Motown vinyl and the Japan Universal pressing, which are both also quite good. I recently bought a Monarch Tamla press from a forum member, so it will be interesting to compare when it arrives.

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

the best version (IMO)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.