Marx Bros on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hard Panner, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

My youngest son loves Duck Soup so much that he'd make every friend that came to the house watch it.

But if I had never shown it to him in the first place...

S. P. Honeybunch and GreggF like this.
  2. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Indeed. The younger my family members were when I exposed them to the old classic comedies the more they seemed to embrace them. I tried to get my nephews to watch the 3 Stooges and Chaplin when they were 8-12 years old and all three could not get into them because they weren't in color.

But the my 3 year old niece and 5 year old nephew loved Chaplin from the get-go and, now in their late 20's, they are both avid fans of everything from the Marx Brothers to W.C. Fields.

Jeff Edwards and Myke like this.
  3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm not seeing it as an argument. I just see it all as a fact of life.

4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Fair enough. But I think exposure to a great old movie as equivalent to a walk through the Lovre, Shakespeare in the park, etc.. Or to put it better :

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Alan G., Mal and Jeff Edwards like this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? I have nothing but respect for you …and not much of that.

Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others. He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don’t let that fool you. He really is an idiot.

I never forget a face, but in your case I’d be glad to make an exception.

A child of five could understand this.

Fetch me a child of five!

Mainspark, Mal and MRamble like this.
  6. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

7. I'm not dead yet. I'm feeling better.

jtiner likes this.
  8. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

When I was a kid in the 60s I'd watch old movies and cartoons BECAUSE they were old, but I was a strange kid (OUT OF THE INKWELL was a favorite, but I didn't know they were called that-the titles on the TV prints just said KOKO).

jupiter8 likes this.
  9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I was the same way in the 70s...mostly because kiddie TV was a vast wasteland of half-assed Hanna Barbera efforts, Filmation atrocities and annoying, ear-bleeding Krofft Krap...the old stuff was if not funny at least weird and arcane

10. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

You know what this country needs today?....a seven cent nickel.

Mal likes this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

13. Myke

14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Andrew likes this.
  15. I understand wanting to get the best price and sitting on the fence about buying this set to see prices drop but the reality is that if sales (which are most important as I recall during the immediate months after release) lag or don't reflect what the goal was for this, studios become more reluctant to spend the money to do these sets and the spend the money to release physical versions of this. My advice--if you want to more sets like these for other vintage films and artists, you need to buy sets like this when they are released and not wait for the budget bins. Studios use any justification to cut back on releases that they perceive as not doing well.

By the time they are moving overstocked items at bargain prices, they don't really pay attention to how many units are sold. Look, with two kids in college and having to help support another who was recently laid off and divorced plus saving for retirement, I understand wanting to wait but I've decided I'm putting some other things on hold like Starbucks as a treat, etc. to purchase this set.

I want to see more of these including Warner bringing the remaining films to BD as well as W.C. Fields and others that are ignored by other, younger folks who see full screen and black and white as old.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  16. Myke

Typing phone on ? :laugh: Sense not making. @noname74

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  17. Yes I also was waiting for my Starbucks fix In line.

18. I'd love for the old Fireside Theater album cover with Marx and Lennon on it to be reissued as a poster. I may have to make this my screensaver!

fr in sc and MRamble like this.
  19. Myke

Andrew and MRamble like this.
  20. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I saw it, too! (in June)

I thought Noah Diamond & co. did a great job with it.

21. fr in sc likes this.
  22. Myke

" I'm the one that's got to die, when it's time for me to die...so I can live my life, the way I want to. "

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Sorry, but I simply can't afford to subsidize movie releases by paying higher prices.

24. I can understand but if they aren't purchased (I always just try to find the least expensive bargain out there), then they won't release them as physical product which is why I try and see the lowest prices out there or try and find them before they hit the cut out bin.

If we don't buy them or wait until the sales don't matter, we have no one else to blame when studios don't release them as physical product.

25. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I think I'm less interested now that I've heard the fuzzy, grainy sections of COCOANUTS still look fuzzy and grainy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.