Marx Bros on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hard Panner, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Shipped!

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I think I'll pick this up tomorrow... I've been planning to watch all five films again for some time, but now I'm glad I held off.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Arrived! Will watch some tonight!

longdist01 likes this.
  5. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I'd be interested in your first impressions of the set.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Jeeze.....just finished watching Duck Soup, it is AMAZINGLY clean, crisp and clear. Wow does not begin to explain it. The sound is much better also. I've watched this many times over the last 48 years on TV, VHS and DVD now blu ray.

Again I say , WOW.:yikes:

"here's one I picked up in a dance hall"......:pineapple::bdance::pineapple:

Ghostworld, GreggF and jtiner like this.
  7. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

My was delivered yesterday.
    I had a quick look at each movie and watch about half of Cocoanuts. Not perfect but I am very impressed.
    Wonderful to have decent editions of these hilarious movies!

8. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I had a chance to watch The Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers yesterday. I'm impressed with the cleanup overall, but the ropy sections of The Cocoanuts has me wondering about the history of that title and where the various pieces came from. I was under the impression that most (or all) of the film existed as a studio print that was found in the UCLA archives and that print was used as a source for the restoration. However, there are still significant sections of the restored film that are of lower quality. So, was the UCLA print of lower quality too, or was that print also incomplete so that only some sections could be used for restoration? And, did they in fact find and use new audio elements for the restoration?
    Animal Crackers generally looked/sounded fantastic. It's a nice set and the price was very reasonable.

9. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

If anyone hasn't purchased this yet, it's going for a great price on amazon today. Glad I waited.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Told my wife if she needs a last minute gift idea ... Today is the day!

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

12. Myke

13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

$27.99. wow, great price.

14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I am very happy with the DVD 'silver screen' collection. It's almost hard to believe they could get
    better prints, as I find these really good. I grew up on the vhs though that were absolutely
    terrible :disgust:
    are the blu rays really THAT much of an improvement to rebuy?

15. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

For "The Cocoanuts" and particularly "Animal Crackers" (over a minute of restored footage and much better quality) yes.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree. Those are the only 2 of the 5 I've watched so far, but they're radical improvements in terms of visuals.

"Cocoanuts" still has some notable flaws - and barring a "pristine print found in someone's basement" miracle, that's not gonna change.

"Crackers" looks terrific objectively - no caveats required...

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I am anticipating this as a Hanukah gift. Where/what is the restored footage?

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here's another one I picked up in a dance hall.

[​IMG]

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I succumbed and ordered this at Amazon with 5 minutes to spare. Another Blu Ray to add to the shelf of things I don't seem to watch but 5 classics for $28 was hard to resist.

MrSka57 and MRamble like this.
  20. Myke

Especially when you're going to be laughing your ass off.

MRamble likes this.
  21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah they're fun. Used to see them in rep houses in SF in early Seventies when in High School. Great stuff.

Myke likes this.
  22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

The $28 Amazon gold deal price was the sweet trigger spot for me. I have these on vhs and DVD, but they're such beloved classics for me I'll go again. I grew up with late 70s, early 80s tv rebroadcasts and art house screenings of these films. For me, comedy films don't get better than the Marx bros. - they're definitive. The set looks great, but think some docs - even if ported over - would be nice. I've always found them educational, since the first one I saw on pbs in the 80s (wish I could remember what it was called). I think for young people especially, putting them in context, explaining their influence and discussing why they are great and timeless is important and valuable.

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I just finished (well last night) watching AC. There was a line in "hooray for Capt. Spaulding" song I had never heard before. There were also a couple of lines in the letter to his lawyer (Hungadunga...) that I also had not recognized. I am not sure if this is restored footage or finally a clean enough soundtrack that these lines are finally discernible.
    A very nice restoration. I am looking forward to the rest. I am guessing Cocoanuts will be a revelation. The previous versions are all terrible.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Cocoanuts" still has serious problems but it's unquestionably a huge improvement:

The Cocoanuts: The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection [Blu-Ray] (1929) »

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I was looking for this guy's review of Animal Crackers to see how our opinions compared, but couldn't find it. I am not expecting a miracle w Cocoanuts, but I am expecting it to be the best of I have seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.