Marx Brothers: Paramounts or MGM?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KevinP, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

or, since both companies have some variability in quality, let me rephrase the question as:
    {Animal Crackers & Duck Soup} vs {A Night at the Opera & A Day at the Races}?

(If the original and rephrased questions have different answers from you, feel free to answer both.)

I think the biggest difference (if you don't consider it to be Zeppo) is that the later ones have characters who are aware of just how insane the brothers are and see them as con men, but in the earlier ones, everyone, including the antagonists, tend to buy into their tactics. Some fans seem to need that dose of reality more than others.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  2. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's Paramount for all true Marxists

4. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

One thing I learned after the internet came along is that there are Marx Brothers fans who prefer the MGMs.

(Another is that there are people who prefer Queen's 80s output to their 70s.)

MarkTheShark and hidden1one like this.
  5. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I'm a Duck Soup man myself.

SRC, MarkTheShark, Andrew and 2 others like this.
  6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Paramount.

7. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Paramount all the way!

ZackyDog likes this.
  8. JM Jones

JM Jones Forum Resident

Paramount

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love the Paramounts and agree that era is superior but MGM has the tootsy fruitsy ice cream and that's hard for me to dismiss.

unclefred, cwitt1980 and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm 50/50. Duck Soup was a zenith, but I think a Night at the Opera is fantastic.

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

With the exception of Night At The Opera, it isn't even close IMO. I know the history, but have always been disappointed with Day-Races. And let's face it there wasn't much there after that one. Although they did have a bit of a rally with Night in Casablanca.
    The memorable lines, the layers of puns and double (triple) entendres are from that wonderful string of five Paramount pictures.
    I remember reading that as Groucho prepared to hang from a plane in the filming of Night Casablanca, he remarked that he didn't want to do this anymore.

fr in sc and Alan G. like this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh wait a minute,. I was thinking of the boat scenes from "Monkey Business." Make that Paramount!

13. Paramount with no hesitation. Night at The Opera and A Day At The Races are still good fun, but the dopey love interest plots really intrude on the hilarity.

14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

"would you all gather around really close so this man won't recover"

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

The only picture up through A Night At The Opera I can think of that lacks the dopey romantic subplot altogether is Duck Soup. I wonder if the DRSP was an actual selling point to any patrons. I know time and tastes change, but I don't see the appeal. Granted, I was around 11-12 when I saw most of them for the first time so the DRSP would be calculated to hold zero interest for me.

16. Yeah, the DRSPs were in the Paramount pictures (excepting Duck Soup) but they were less intrusive and took up less time than the MGM pictures -at least that is how I remember them. I too watched these movies first as a kid with no interest in the DRSPs (except for who "got" the college widow in Horse feathers :love:)

17. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Paramount for me, with a side order of A Night at the Opera.
    [​IMG]
    The only known photo of the entire Marx family, c. 1915. From left: Groucho, Gummo, mother Minnie, Zeppo, father Sam, Chico and Harpo.

18. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I see they they all got Sam's hairline from an early age.

John B likes this.
  19. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Yep, Paramount +1 (Night at the Opera).

fr in sc and Not AJB like this.
  20. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Whaaat? No RKO and Room Service?!?! ;)

Rfreeman and fr in sc like this.
  21. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I'm a Metro kind of guy. Yes, the last three MGM films were weak, but there are funny bits in all of them.

22. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

A Night At The Opera is in my personal top ten favorite movies of all time. For me, it's just a great film in every respect.

That being said, the Paramount films are certainly classic Marx Brothers. I prefer The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, and Duck Soup. Both Monkey Business and Horse Feathers have their moments, but overall I don't find that they hold together as well as the others.

A Day At The Races
    comes somewhere in the middle for me. I think that it certainly deserves a place alongside their best, and again, it's a pretty good film all-around.

I don't mind the rest of the MGM films. Obviously they're not at quite the same caliber as the classics, but I enjoy watching them nevertheless.

So, really, it's not a Paramount vs. MGM thing for me. If anything, I think the MGM films, particularly the first two, greatly helped to sustain and solidify their legacy.

unclefred likes this.
  23. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Both!!! Paramount also has Horse Feathers ,and Monkey Business MGM has Opera and Races with the lower level (still very Good)At The Circus,and fair to good titles like Room Service (one of their worst) and The Big Store

Rfreeman likes this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've seen many of them, not sure if all. It's hard to choose, but I think I've always been most partial to A Night at the Opera. But if memory serves (it's been quite a while for any of them), the hardest I laughed for a prolonged period of time was the train scene near the end in Go West.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Room Service was the only Marx film (and I don't count Love Happy) where the screenplay was not specifically written for them. It was their least entertaining IMO as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.