Masking tape residue on record

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by statcat, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is a safe way I could clean off residue/gunk from duct tape? A seller sent me this rare expensive 45 and it broke out of the side of the paper sleeve he put it in (wish he used a plastic sleeve and it would've stopped this) and then it tore through the grey masking tape he used to sandwich the cardboard together. It was scratched a bit as well unfortunately.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

That's Duct Tape...not masking tape. If it were Masking Tape you might be able to use Lighter Fluid. That's what is normally used on things..not sure if that would damage vinyl. Have no idea if Lighter fluid would work on Duct tape residue

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What’s the 45?

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I would probably attack it with some warm detergent water first, and then if nothing was removed,
    a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a cue tip over the area.

statcat likes this.
  5. statcat

right yeah duct tape, editing

6. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Naphtha/lighter fluid

Bug and Tar Remover (Turtle Wax)

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I haven't tried this on an lp but when I have residue on anything else plastic like, I use another piece of tape (similar to what left the residue if I have and know what it is) to yank it off. Do it in fast light movements. I press the tape onto the surface and pull off quickly. It usually works. There maybe some in the grooves though that might not come out.

I also had some luck running an lp through a RCM with a vacuum. It wasn't as bad as yours, but if you try my method above you might be able to remove quite a bit of it.

EDIT: The other piece of tape doesn't leave any residue. It basically sticks to the other tape residue and pulls it off, or maybe it doesn't sometimes, but it won't leave more residue unless you press to hard or don't spot clean it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    qwerty and statcat like this.
  8. statcat

This is the A side, not as bad but I see it.

[​IMG]

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

@statcat you might be able to remove that with just a few cleans on a RCM as it's not too bad. That's about as bad as the one I cleaned with my RCM was.

statcat likes this.
  10. statcat

I just tried this with a blue masking tape I like and it does work. Thank you. It's still there but not as bad now.

eddiel likes this.
  11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Unfortunately I can't see the photos but I would be wary of using lighter fluid as it could soften the vinyl.

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

and if all else fails, try this, used by preservation archives and high end collectors:
    [​IMG]

13. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Goo Gone? I've used Akasa CPU TIM cleaner to remove sticky label glue residue from vinyl grooves before, it's citrus oil based which is similar to Goo Gone from what I understand. It works well but you need to thoroughly wet clean the record afterwards to remove any residue.

14. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

First thing I'd try is another piece of tape; like some clear packing tape or other masking tape. Stick it, un stick it, repeat many times to see if it helps. Don't use tape that's too strong or too old, it can leave its own residue.

After that you're stuck with using isopropyl alcohol and microfiber towel scrubbing; scrub in the direction of the grooves is critical. Make sure the towel stays clean and rotate it often or else you smash more adhesive debris back on the record. Also wash record with water after so the alcohol doesn't set in (it evaporates quickly but still a good idea).

I've had to do this a couple times, it's a little nerve wracking and the results are not always perfect.

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I find a citrus-based cleaner works well for removing adhesive, it doesn't seem to affect plastic. I use it a lot for removing adhesive - old and new - from CD covers. "De-Solv-It" is the product I use that's available in my country, I'm sure there will be equivalents where you are. I would apply it with a cotton bud, and immediately after it's removed the adhesive thoroughly was the record to remove any residue. I haven't used it on a record before, but don't think it would do damage in the short-time it would be applied to the record.

Whatever product you use, I would first test it on a low-value record to ensure you are comfortable that it won't do any damage.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.