Massive Attack - Vinyl reissues 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Hmm... interesting... I did not mean to be presumptuous in expressing just my opinion. But, just going by The Cure Remasters thread, everyone I remember, and there were a lot of them (including me :)) stated that the 2 LP format easily allowed the sound to breathe a LOT more and gave the soundstage much more presence, which I, FWIW, could easily hear on my system. However, many, including myself, did comment on how good the original DMM pressing sounded for so much sound stuffed / forced onto a single LP. I don't think the consensus was that the DMM was bad in any way (I have both) but that the 2 LP format allowed the album, which has a very densely layered sound, to come through with a lot less compression.

You are actually the first person that I've seen who has stated that they didn't like the Disintegration remaster (trust me... I am NOT one for newer remasters in general. Read ANY of my posts and you will likely see scathing comments about a lot of them :)) But, to me anyway, in this case, and on my system which is specifically designed to highlight and bring out soundstage and imaging, there was a noticeable difference in spacial quality and dimension.

BUT... and I personally really like most of the DMMs that I've heard (despite many of the 'purests' hear NOT liking them) Tonally speaking, WITHOUT taking the greater soundstage and breathing room into consideration, I felt that the DMM kicked some pretty serious @ss as the others that I've heard. So, I would say that if one's system (and it could be a very good system) gravitated more toward the straight tonal aspects of an album, but wasn't a system that necessarily revealed the differences in dimension and soundstage as much (which with mine, that is the VERY first thing I hear, thus my abject Horror at some of the new Rush remasters - I felt the 2 LP Counterparts, an album that I REALLY like, very much sucked in just this way...) then, yes, the DMM tonally would sound great, clear, and dynamic.

Just my thoughts...

contium likes this.
  2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Listening to the 1st LP of the new Heligoland pressing.

First thing I notice some woofer pumping during the lead-in groove even before the music started. I don't hear anything unusual however.

Strange. On close observation, I see that the record is flat, but appears to be slightly off-center.

Recorded the 1st track, and the lead in shows a bit of a strange waveform.

Applied a 20Hz High Pass filter, played it back and no more pumping. Sub-sonic noise?

I never experience woofing pumping except on some warped albums so I was very surprised.

Anyone see anything similar?

3. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Does anybody know if the current Mezzanine Deluxe LP is the same as the European version stampers? It is only $17.00 on Amazon US
    And I would rather have the EU pressings.
    Thanks

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. latheofheaven

I believe so... I had asked this more than once earlier, but no one seemed to know. I ordered from Amazon US for about the same price and I got the one pressed in Germany. It sounds frigg'n AWESOME, btw! The first shipment actually had some damage in the vinyl over the first song (Inertia Creeps) So, I asked for a replacement. I was holding my breath that I would get the same German pressing. I did! :)

5. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Thanks. I will order and hope I get the EU one.

6. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I got the EU one from Amazon. Sounds fantastic. Made in Germany. Cant imagine the 2014 sounding better.
    Thanks for the heads up.

7. latheofheaven

I'm guessing it's the same one. The sound quality is pretty stunning...

8. brimuchmuze

Curious if this is common. My 2nd copy was the same.

9. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

I was interested in getting Heligloland on vinyl. On Amazon.ca the price keeps fluctuating between $33 and $50. Had it in my cart today to purchase and a few hours later, back up to $50.

10. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

What the heck is going on with 100th window? Last release date I saw was June, so I just checked on my pre-order, and now there’s no release date listed at all! Grrrrrrrr

11. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Ongoing saga. I don’t think the retailers have a clue and are just plucking release dates out of the air.

12. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Goodness, amazon.fr have dispatched Heligoland for about €21...Ordered it a month ago and they promised dispatching 22 June, so I was skeptical, but they've been as good as their word..

Hope some other people nabbed it...

latheofheaven, Wallflower and Marko K like this.
  13. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Amazon.com canceled my pre-order but amazon.fr shipped it yesterday, cant wait :)

johnnybrum likes this.
  14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

15. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Heligoland, Im not interested in the 100th Window, at least not right now.

16. Wallflower

Wallflower Well-Known Member

Just spinning my amazon.fr copy now! Cheers for the tip.

johnnybrum likes this.
  17. If I recall, there was not consensus on Heligoland vinyl...I have had mine for a month now, & I think it is top notch.

Besides the perfect pressing, the sound is huge! It is dynamic & has a wonderful sound stage. The package itself is beautiful.

$41 right now on amazon.ca & worth every penny (although, we don't have pennies in Canada...)

18. latheofheaven

Heh... well, the way it's going, we aren't gonna have pennies anymore either! :)

Thanks kindly mate for taking the time to give a nice, detailed impression of how the vinyl sounds. To me, that is always the MOST important information given here, and the most appreciated! :righton:

***EDIT

Nice Avatar, BTW...

Geee! likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Heligoland arrived at last from Amazon France. Paid 22 Euros. Now gone up to 54.

It's Felix and latheofheaven like this.
  20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have been going back to Heligoland. Really great sound especially "Pray for Rain"

JeffMo, It's Felix and latheofheaven like this.
  21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve been waiting for the price of Heligoland to drop and today it’s £34.99 on Amazon UK, which is about £20 than usual, but why is this one reissue in the programme so expensive compared to the others?

22. brimuchmuze

Are you able to order from overseas and not pay exorbitant customs?

The price at amazon.ca isn't too bad, the equivalent of £23, plus shipping.

Porkpie likes this.
  23. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

I too am waiting.... the sleeve has a little bit of embossing on it. But we know that isn’t expensive, every cigararette packet has that on too. The actual product just looks like a normal record, so I am going to wait it out.....

Porkpie likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The high res version sounds particularly good on my Pono!!

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Catching the Mezzanine 20 tour in about two weeks - time to pull this reissue out and get lost in the waves of sound......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.