Master Tape Quality (For SH)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blair G., Jul 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a question for Steve;

I'm assuming DCC titles were chosen for (a) the love of the music and (b) the availability of the master tapes.
    I expect that (b) would be determined by licensing costs and the condition and/or existence of the tapes.

If you are like the rest of us, your initial exposure to any given title would be via a commercially released LP or CD.

Which master tapes blew you away the most in terms of what was actually on that tape vs, what had been heard (or not heard !) on previously released versions. ? Which ones made you think "Wow, now this sounds amazing ! I had no idea it was this good !"

This question is not intended to be a "which title benefited the most from re-mastering" question. That's been covered before. I'm thinking purely of the recorded quality of the master, what surprised you.

Keep up the great work, I'm slowly but surely sourcing most of the DCC's
    I desperately want (no luck on Heart or Tull, though:(

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing the thread Blair :o

I just wondered if anyone know if any studios have open days or tours - I have never heard a Master Tape and would love to hear a piece I am familiar with at that level of quality :)

All the best - Andrew

3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member Thread Starter

Andrew,
    No worries about the piggyback, sounds like a good idea.

Mushroom Studios here in Vancouver used to allow tours. I should check and see if they still do. They used to have this wonderful old tube board.
    Many local artists recorded there and virtually everything, regardless of producer, sounded great. Artists you may not have heard or (Doucette, Chilliwack etc.).

The most famous release from this Studio you will know.....

....none other than Heart's Dreamboat Annie. It was initially released on Mushroom Records before Capitol aquired the rights. Hearts second album , Magazine, was recorded there too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.