Mastering For Cassette

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Doug Hess Jr., Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

I did a live recording for a gospel group. While I've got the CD master ready for duplication, I don't know the "rules and regulations" of making the Cassette master. If it is a :40 minute tape, do I need to use one for the master? Can I take a :90 or a :60 and record side one on side one and then turn it over at the right spot? I know how I do my own tapes at home...but do I include Dolby on my end or let the duplication house do it? How loud to I push the levels?
    Or do I just send a CD with the songs in the right order and a list and let the duplication house make the master the way it needs to be?
    Dough

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I would just send in the CD master and let the dupe house make the adjustmants for cassette with any instructions...

3. rchavez74

rchavez74 New Member

Most dupe houses prefer a CD to make a bin-loop if you are making a lot of copies, or even a DAT if you have one, at least in my experience...

4. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

First, if you are using two tapes to hold the material use exactly the same tape. Different lengths can have different output levels and bias requirements.

Second, be sure to use a tape formulation your machine was eq'd and biased for; typically TDK SA for Type II.

If you use Dolby ask the mastering house what they require. They may want a calibration tone to set levels. If your hardware lacks this ability they will give you instructions.

Be sure to record on a deck with Dolby HX Pro, even if you don't use noise reduction.

Do a practice run with different recording levels to nail a spot that does not saturate the tape (high end attenuation and distortion); then give yourself some head room for safety.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Richard,

The Dolby HX only works if the Dolby NR is used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.