Mastering question regarding compression NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Iamthewalrus, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iamthewalrus

Iamthewalrus goo goo g'joob Thread Starter

Does anybody have any ideas on the best way to take an over-compressed recording and make it breath a little more and sound more life-like. Ideas are appreiciated

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There's not a lot you can do at this point.

I've had luck running the tracks through a higher quality D/A converter. It'll open it up a small amount. Also try to run it through some tube gear. This will add some harmonics that could be perceived as more "air" around the recording. Then again, it could also add more compression too.

Ever think about adding just a slight amount of reverb?

Try anything and see if it works.

Good luck.

3. Homero

Homero New Member

You could try an upward expander or even a parallel upward expander, the Weiss DS1-MK2 is excellent doing that, I think there is some plug-ins alternatives by WAVES that can perform upward expander too. :righton:

4. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

If you are VERY patient, it is possible to "re-build" some dynamic range by drawing volume automation...

For example...the intro of the song is at level "X."
    Verse is ("X + 1 dB")
    Chorus is ("X + 2 dB")
    Solo is ("X + 3 dB")
    etc...

the problem is that over-compression not only removes dynamic range, but it is also very destructive to the TONE QUALITY of most instruments. Set your attack time too fast, for example, and you will damage the transient waveform of a snare drum, changing the tone from a "bright sparkle" to a "tubby splat."

In such cases, it is best to re-mix the song if possible...

hth,

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Some folks here, including myself, have had variable success with the de-clip tool in many audio software programs like Cool Edit Pro/Audition and Sound Forge/Sony. It works on mildly compressed/limited songs, but is useless on very maximized tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.