Masters of Sex?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mhw58, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've really enjoyed it.

Great acting by both Masters and Johnson and Masters wife is super hot.

Agreed it fills the Mad Men void.....

2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Masters' wife needs to get enrolled in the study . . . hoo boy!

Comet01 likes this.
  3. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

For the purposes of (groundbreaking - earth moving) science of course.
    I wonder how Mr. Masters would react to that one? with complete detachment as he times the different phases of her active participation and marks down the score on the clipboard?

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Allison Janney is fantastic in this. I'm a couple of episodes behind but she's the best thing in the show for me. Hope her character continues.

Mazzy and Vidiot like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

getting real old, real fast. something major needs to happen, quickly or it will lose me.

6. Great writing directing acting and art direction one of the best on right now

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What's interesting is that the producers and actress have said that when they did the research on Dr. Masters, they couldn't locate a single photograph of his wife from the 1950s. (Eventually, the real-life Dr. Masters divorced her and married Ms. Johnson around 1971, but they eventually got divorced in the 1990s.) They had to invent her personality and appearance completely from scratch, so a lot of that is total fiction.

What's interesting is that Ms. Johnson only passed away this year, so she certainly knew about the book about Masters & Johnson's work and personal lives, as well as the show under development. What I don't know is whether she was involved with the show at all; my guess is probably not.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

BTW, I laugh and laugh and laugh every time I run the opening credits to Masters of Sex:

Usually I fast-forward though this crap, but this is just so hilarious, I can't help but guffaw at it. Very funny, clever, brilliantly-edited main title.

misterdecibel and Sherry Darling like this.
  9. tommy-thewho

Very well done first season.

Will there be a second season??

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, already renewed:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/22/masters-of-sex-renewed_n_4144546.html

Stop me if I already mentioned this, but I chuckle every time they walk outside the "hospital" in the show, because that's the Thalberg Building on the Sony Pictures Culver City lot (formerly MGM). It's fantastic how they redecorated the building and add dozens of 1950s cars to make it look like 1958. The art direction on the show is fantastic, and the plot-lines are remarkably comfortable and multi-layered.

I also gotta say, Masters of Sex might be the most beautiful-looking show on television. The cinematography is really excellent, as is the color-correction. This is one of the very, very few shows currently being shot in 4K and edited in 4K, all at Sony Colorworks; they're doing a terrific job.

11. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

The show is well produced and acted, but the main point it makes is if you are a total ass****, become a doctor and you will still get laid.

Tex_Writer and Vidiot like this.
  12. tommy-thewho

Glad there's a second season....

I'm guessing Doctor's were like a rock star today having all kinds of women available.

13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Excellent show and terrific 1st season. Loved it.
    For a couple of weeks we watched this, then new episodes from the current season of "Treme" which is great as well.

Quality television!

14. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Took about 3-4 episodes for it to kick-in for me, but I'm really enjoying it now. Forgive me for bringing this up, but does anyone else think that "Masters" could do a great Brian Epstein role?

mhw58 likes this.
  15. tommy-thewho

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Too old! Brian was only 32 when he died, and was just 26 when he first met the Beatles! But I agree, British actor Michael Sheen is the right "type," only he's already 44.

17. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Good point! I had no idea had old Sheen was. At my age just about everyone looks young.:)

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'll say this: Sheen is perfect in the role, though the real-life William Masters was fat and bald. Somehow, I believe Sheen in terms of how arrogant, pompous, overly-sensitive, self-absorbed, but also how damaged, neurotic, and unloved he seemed to be. Very sad character. Mrs. Johnson is constantly the voice of reason in the show, and 90% of the lessons Dr. Masters learns appears to be from his non-degreed colleague -- particularly in the relationship between love and sex and how often you can have one but not the other.

forthlin likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

Sheen is quite a hit with the ladies dating Kate Beckinsale and Rachel McAdams.

20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I think Sheen is possible the best actor of his generation.
    His Brian Clough was just incredible

We watched the first episode, it didn't grab us.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It did start off slowly and I almost didn't continue. But it did pay off to persevere, the show had a rare slow build up and paid off. The attention to detail in the set and costuming are a big plus. Looking forward to the second season.

22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Now that the series has resumed I suppose it's time to bump this thread.

23. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I would pretty much watch anything with Lizzy Caplan in it.

And I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Sheen's real-life gf, Sarah Silverman, later in the season.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Indeed. He has more range as an actor than anyone else I can think of. I remember seeing that he had two films out at once a few years ago, playing at the same theater:

• Frost/Nixon - playing TV interviewer David Frost
    • Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - playing the chief Werewolf
    I was totally unfamiliar with the Football legend he was playing, but it was a very enjoyable film. I saw it mainly for Timothy Spall, but once the film started I recognized Sheen from the little-seen Music Within where he played Art Honeyman, who had cerebral palsy and was a prime mover in the passing of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

25. tommy-thewho

Kind of a flashback first episode to second season....

Love Danny Houston on board... He wants to know all about the sex study....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.