Masters of Sex?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mhw58, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Is anyone still on board with Masters of Sex? I just watched the first episode of the latest season, and it hasn't quite hooked me the way the first two seasons did.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Yes, I'm in. First episode was not great but it's good for the slow burn, I think.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I wasn't taken with the first episode either. Only made it 20 minutes in and got bored and decided to watch later.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Recorded. Planning on watching it next week. Same with Ray Donovan.

5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I liked the first episode - the woman on woman kiss? Masters inability to relate to his kids or function as a father? Johnson is pregnant? Lots of twists and turns ahead!

audiomixer likes this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

This show seems to be flying thru time. What year do you think it is?

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, I'm still in.

8. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

We have not watched this but from what I have read in this thread and elsewhere it sounds like a great show. Maybe it is time to play catch up?

9. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I was going to say 1965/1966. The book was first published in 1966.

10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

A couple of questions:

Why wasn't Johnson on the pill (widely available by 1962)? And why did Masters say they knew the baby couldn't be his - because of the problems he had getting his wife pregnant?

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm not feeling it, either. The showrunner is defending the 5-year jump forward in time and the addition of the kids, but the whole thing feels very forced and contrived to me, like they're trying to flog more conflict and energy into the show.

Steve-oh likes this.
  12. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Didn't they do another giant leap forward during the course of one or two episodes in Season 2?

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, there was a big jump in the middle of season 2.

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

As I understand it the showrunner is talking vaguely about nebulous "legal issues" that needed to be addressed, and that next week's episode is where they intended the third season to start. There's rumbling and rumors on another site I read that Johnson's real-life daughter Lisa wanted it made explicit that slutsky/whacko Tessa was not her, and by having a new (through not from real life) daughter named Lisa Johnson on the show the pressure could come off.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

If you watch an episode until the bitter end, there is a disclaimer that the show is about the work and life of Masters and Johnson, and the children (which are named individually) are fictitious (not sure of the exact wording, but something to that effect). I guess that sort of clears the show of presenting the children on the show as the way the real offspring of either Virginia or Bill were/are in real life.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think that was exactly the problem. Masters & Johnson were public figures, but their children were not, so having them involved even as peripheral figures could've gotten the whole show shut down. The showrunner also said that the early 1960s mainly consisted of lots of research, so it made more sense to jump to 1966 just as the book was being finished and released, turning M&J into stars.

But I still found the episode very jarring and bizarre, almost like a different series was grafted on to everything that came before it. And it's becoming much, much too much of a soap opera for me.

17. tommy-thewho

Not much sex this season at all.

The Secretary steals every scene she's in...

18. tommy-thewho

Last nights episode was quite funny.

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is this worth coming back onboard for? I haven't watched any of this season yet for some reason.

20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yes.

(Although, to be honest, I'll willingly watch pretty much anything with Lizzy Caplan in it)

The first two episodes of the season were poor, but it picked up nicely from episode three on.

21. misterdecibel

I'm bored with it and at this point am watching just out of habit, and for completeness. And Lizzy.

22. tommy-thewho

Their finally getting back to showing sex on the show.

23. misterdecibel

"Who wouldn't want THIS!" was a fun moment.

24. tommy-thewho

Another season in the books.

Nice cliffhanger to end the show with... I thought Dan Logan had the best part.

25. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I'm still watching but it's getting a bit too soapy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.