Mastodon - Emperor of Sand

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

If anyone is interested - Relapse Records have just released new limited (300 only) pressings of Leviathan and Remission on clear vinyl.

Ordered mine already...

Leviathan: 300 x Clear with Bone White, Blue and Gold Splatter Standard Gram *Relapse.com Exclusive*

Mastodon "Leviathan" 12" - Relapse Records

Remission: 300 x Clear with Aqua Blue, Purple and Gold Splatter Standard Gram *Relapse.com Exclusive*

Mastodon "Remission" 2x12" - Relapse Records

Stormrider77 likes this.
  2. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Another ''limited'' press, lol. These have had ''limited'' pressings for years now. Gets to the point where it just gets silly when there are 20+ different coloured releases. Just keep it in print on standard black ffs once limited editions sell out.

They won't get anymore of my money until Leviathan comes out on 2x45rpm with the correct track order.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

But it's the 12th pressing - LTD of course :D. Maybe you'll get what you're looking for on the 13th :cheers:.

4. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

You know what's interesting - is that on the current Leviathan 2xLP (not 45rpm) - They have the correct order - but Aqua Dementia ends side 2, and Hearts Alive begins side 3. So I wonder if they still mess it up by cutting out in the middle of the waves, then starting hard into it the beginning of the next side...

Still, I hope they release it again - and also include side 4 with The Bit etc... I'd never heard that covered by Mastodon until I listened to the Live At Aragon the other day.

5. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Yeah, that's the one! Although I read that he walked back those comments in subsequent interviews...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  6. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Yet another reason why I think it's best to ignore how band members classify their music. In what world is any of Mastodon's music not heavy metal? You play any of these albums to any random person and their answer will be some variant of hard rock/heavy metal in terms of classifying it. So sorry my friend, you're in a metal band and you're kidding yourself if you think any differently.

Dreadnought and Wounded Land like this.
  7. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Listening to Leviathan right now, one of my favorite albums to smoke to. I love the variety on every album these guys make and dig things like the motherload and Aunt Lisa. My GF is fascinated by crack the skye, one of her favorite albums and you won't catch her listening to remission! When she first was exposed to them I gave her the back story on their albums and what they are about and she totally fell in love with them. We went to 2 shows 2 days apart in 2015 and she actually asked if we were going in May :) Even though most people complain or frown on Brent's vocals we find them the most cool and just plain weird, I do wish he would step up to bat more and put more effort into his live vocals. At times he's surprisingly good and faithful to the album and other shows he seems not to care lol.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  8. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Is it so? I'll find out soon.... Found someone posting these for sale already on Ebay - this photo is from that.... Trying to confirm, if it really is 2 records....

[​IMG]

9. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

His reply: Hey, there is only 1 record in this auction, it is NOT a 2xLP

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Weird interviews is standard fair for Brent, check out the recent interview at NAMM that is on YouTube! :laugh:

He obviously does not like doing interviews, so sometimes he just talks nonsense, and one can never know if the few things that do sound serious are not also wind ups. For example in that interview he mentions he has a solo album coming out called Cold Dark Place, but he says it will be out in June on Record Store Day, and RSD is in April, so...

But I found he did also mention this solo album in an interview from last June in Guitar World, when on the subject of working on the new album:

“It’s shaping up to be a double album,” says the guitarist. “One is an album I wrote myself, and recorded with [drummer] Brann [Dailor] and [bassist/vocalist] Troy [Sanders] during the Once More Round the Sun sessions. My part is called Cold Dark Place, and it has to do with a nasty breakup that I went through. I wrote some pretty dark, beautiful, spooky, funky, ethereal, melancholy music, which also sounds like the Bee Gees a little bit. [laughs]

“The other guys are writing another album, which I haven’t even heard yet so I can’t tell you what it sounds like. But I’ll come in to give some noodle-y leads here and there.”

So it seems from this interview (something which is also reinforced by his silly "from the moon" segments in the "making of" videos) that he again didn't really write anything for the new album, and only added lead guitar...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  11. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Hmmm, that's so disappointing. They're definitely trolling us with that 2xlp sticker. :sigh:

12. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

I've created a MASTODON THREAD

For all things about them - as this thread started about a particular album - then into other bands that might sound like mastodon - and all other stuff.

The Mastodon Thread

See you there!

Grow Fins likes this.
  13. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

New song from Emperor of Sand - Andromeda:

Wounded Land likes this.
  14. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I just got the email today and feel ripped off. The "physical" copy is CD only, no vinyl choice. I guess technically CD is a 'physical' copy but they should have just said CD. To me, 'physical' implies multiple physical mediums.

15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Got my email today too, I'll take the CD for the car. Vinyl pre ordered already, I never thought they'd offer up a 2lp set they are selling for $30 as a physical copy but I'll gladly take a ceedee over some crappy mp3 download.

16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Official music video for "Show Yourself":

I was initially sceptical to the song, but I have to say it is very infectious, it gets inside your head.

Grow Fins, Wounded Land and Opeth like this.
  17. tom polizzi

tom polizzi Well-Known Member

Heard the album from a friend. In my opinion its some of their best work. Word to the Wise is probably my favorite as of right now but I'm sure that could change. Great job boys. Also Branns voice has gotten even better and Brents playing is nothing short of amazing.

DaverJ likes this.
  18. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

The video for Show Yourself is hilarious.

19. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Now, this might not matter for anyone else - it's just an observation of mine - but this sort of thing really bugs me - especially when a band has such a superb drummer - and are a metal band.

10 (that I can hear) of 11 songs on this new album augment the drums with tambourine, shakers and anything else they can shake to give the drums a 'fuller' sound.

It's so distracting. You have Brann, going crazy, monster fills and snare rolls, or he's busy on the crash cymbal for a bridge and there's a perfect, way too loud shaker in one speaker keeping time over top of his drums. Then the next song, he's on the ride cymbal and it's in the other speaker for the chorus. The next song it's in both speakers for just during the solo. Some songs it's only on the snare hit. One of the songs it drowns out his snare in parts.

Wish they wouldn't do that.

20. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I don't find it a problem on Crack The Skye, although it really does not help when things are too compressed as then you have too many sounds fighting to be heard. Anyone can share any waveforms and DR numbers for this? I would assume it'll be smashed like previous records. If drums are getting drowned out then it's definitely a mix and/or mastering issue.

21. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Here's an example...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Simon_LDT likes this.
  22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Not great but I've seen far worse.

23. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR5 -0.02 dB -6.51 dB 01. Sultan's Curse.mp3
    DR6 over -6.63 dB 02. Show Yourself.mp3
    DR6 over -7.20 dB 03. Precious Stones.mp3
    DR5 over -6.96 dB 04. Steambreather.mp3
    DR6 over -8.42 dB 05. Roots Remain.mp3
    DR6 over -7.66 dB 06. Word to the Wise.mp3
    DR6 over -7.22 dB 07. Ancient Kingdom.mp3
    DR6 over -7.42 dB 08. Clandestiny.mp3
    DR6 -0.01 dB -7.22 dB 09. Andromeda.mp3
    DR6 over -7.45 dB 10. Scorpion Breath.mp3
    DR6 over -7.83 dB 11. Jaguar God.mp3

Number of files: 11
    Official DR value: DR6

==============================================================================================

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

If I'm being honest here I can't say that I'm all that impressed with what I've heard so far. Hopefully hearing these tracks within the context of the album will raise the bar a little. This is studio album #7 so they are well within that risk of things getting stale or running out of ideas range.

GMcGilli and I333I like this.
  25. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

The songs that they've released are terrible.
    My only hope is that Brent's solo album comes out at some point. I won't be buying this one. Sad since I've been a fan for over a decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.