Match or no match? - Mcintosh & Martin Logan Loudspeakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Redux, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redux

Redux Active Member Thread Starter

I have heard several arguments for and against Mcintosh amplifiers for Electrostatic loudspeakers like Quad and Martin Logan.

One argument from another forum is the following: "McIntosh amps don't have good synergy with speakers that go below 4 ohms and all the current crop of Martin Logans go below one ohm at higher frequencies. The highs therefore get rolled off and the speakers sound much duller than normal. You need a good 200 watt+ (at 4 ohms) direct coupled solid state amp to make them really sing."

Is this a valid statement? Mcintosh is known to deliver consistent supply at 4,8 and 16 ohms. This is a capability that argue for Mcintosh for ESL speakers - but I donĀ“t know how good the amplifier performs under 4ohms.

The question is: Do anyone have experience with "rolled off highs" on ESL speakers?

2. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I used to use a Emotiva amp on my ML Vistas and that was so so. Switching to the Parasound really livened up the sound. I've been using that for the last couple of years and very happy. Might want to look into one of the John Curl designed amps for use with the MLs.

Ntotrar likes this.
  3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Given the wide range of products both companies offer I'd say it's too vague to answer

4. Redux

My apologies! To be more specific: I am talking about the new integrated amplifier Mcintosh 7900 or Ma 8000 and Martin Logan Ethos or Montis.

5. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I'm going to stick my headout and say not likely to be a good match. I'd go for something with more output current.

6. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Both MA 7900 and MA 8000 have 2 ohm output taps - so current should not be an issue; 16 ohm taps disappeared from McIntosh amplifiers some time ago.

Don't believe everything you hear: Many have reported excellent results with McIntosh and electrostatics of many makes, including Martin Logan.

Redux likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

McIntosh with autoformers are ideal for driving these speakers with complete safety. And many Martin-Logan owners use McIntosh amplifiers every day with no issues and love the combo.

Redux and Done A Ton like this.
  8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Magnolia HiFi always has Martin Logan on the end of McIntosh in their plummy room when I visit, seemingly. Appears to work alright.

9. Redux

I got some feedback from mcintosh regarding this concern:

"McIntosh amps with Auto former output ( which are not direct coupled) like the MA7900 are the #1 go to choice for speakers with wide impedance swings or low average impedance, because of the provided connections for 2, 4 and 8 ohms."

62caddy, McLover and BrokenByAudio like this.
  10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I used Parasound with my Martin Logans. Parasound 2100/2125 with ML the source and later the ES-ESL. I know you are looking farther up the model line but from what I have read and been told ML uses Parasound in their own demo systems.

RonW and Redux like this.
  11. Millimeters

Millimeters Forum Resident

My previous system was ML Aeon I with a McIntosh 2275 tube amp. Sounded great, sweet highs. Amp not as fast as top ss, but sounds more natural to my ears. I don not have much experience with the McIntosh SS amps.
    Rgds
    Svein

Redux likes this.
  12. Redux

Why is output current important? Which kind of amp did you have in mind?

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed. If you can swing the cash for a used pair of JC-1s you will have all the current the speakers require. The JC-1s work fine with the big SoundLabs which are demanding.

14. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I could not agree more.

15. dougDC

dougDC New Member

I'm listening to Accoustat Spectra 22 electrostatics through a McIntosh 402. Source is HDTracks content via Macbook air running JRiver MC20 over async USB to McIntosh C48. This combination is working exceedingly well. Much better than my old VTL MB300 tube amps. The sound is clear at volumes far greater than I would desire to listen too. Remains clear all the way up past the yellow warning lights blipping on the amps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.