Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You vinyl pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

The long-awaited vinyl reissue of Yourself or Someone Like You, Matchbox Twenty’s 1996 full length, is now available at SRC Vinyl. This isn’t an SRC exclusive, so they’ve just jumped out as first pre-order, and they list a translucent red variant

Source: modern vinyl

Can't wait for this release!!

saborlord123, onionmaster and Sean like this.
  2. Sean Rajnert

Sean Rajnert Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what source they're going to be using. Either way, still a day one buy for me.

wbhendrix likes this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Im curious to who's mastering this one. It could sound quite good, it's always sounded quite warm to me...

joshm2286 likes this.
  4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

5. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

Ill be buying this. I like when 90s albums finally emerge on vinyl. I've played the Exile on Mainstream vinyl regularly since it came out, so this will be a welcome addition to my collection.

joshm2286 likes this.
  6. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

I have been listening to this for a few days. It sounds well beyond my expectations. I have a highly revealing system and it plays loud, clear and quiet. Highly recommended, now for the other two.

MikeJedi and GentleSenator like this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Can anyone post what it says in the deadwax please?

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Don't all answer at once...

9. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Side A - nothing in deadwax
    Side B - 159922E2/B

That's all it says on my LP.

richbdd01 likes this.
  10. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

Anyone else enjoying this lp? Thought there would be more discussion. One of my favorite bands I'd rather not tell my friends about, but I love all their stuff including most of the Tabitha's Secret material. I would love to have "And Around" and "million miles" on vinyl.

11. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I have the CD and enjoyed it immensely back when it first came out. If someone could give me a reason to buy the vinyl by telling me the cutting source, then I would buy it. But at this stage I just don't think that is too much to ask when buying multiple copies of something!

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I see it's available at most places for a pretty decent price (by vinyl standards). I'll grab a copy and share all of the information I can glean from the matrices, etc. if no one else does.

Paully and drivingfrog like this.
  13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Ordered my copy. Jeffs got a revealing setup so I'll put my trust in his opinion....and blame him if it's rubbish ;)

jeff kleinberg and Paully like this.
  14. Sean Rajnert

Just got in my copy from Soundstagedirect and so far, it sounds terrific. Still can't find out who mastered it and the packaging (the sleeve and inners) was pretty basic, but the sound is really good. It (I believe) was an album mixed and mastered digitally (I say this due to the fact the back of the CD credits says something about "digital editing", which is also stated on the inner sleeve credits), but as far as what I'm hearing so far, it sounds more open and lively. Some instruments pop out more then the CD master. I'm going to go more in-depth in a video I'm actually making comparing the CD and the LP to see if it's worth getting. I might put a link as soon as the video is done.

joshm2286, Paully and richbdd01 like this.
  15. Sean Rajnert

Ok, so I'm looking at the waveforms as I'm doing my transfer for the video (if you wanna know what I use, look at my profile) and there's already a significant visual difference, so that must mean they used a source different from the CD (which is a relief).

joshm2286 and Paully like this.
  16. Paully

You are definitely talking me into spending more money. I look forward to you final comparison.

joshm2286 likes this.
  17. Sean Rajnert

Here's a link for my TT DR Offline Meter Readings in case you guys want it. The files were converted from FLAC to MP3's because the meter wants you too.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

18. Sean Rajnert

Ok, last post, I swear. Here are the waveforms for Push. The top is from the original US CD, the bottom is my LP rip. The only thing I did was level the CD to the exact same peak levels as the LP rip.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Paully likes this.
  19. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Sounds good. Flat and quiet. Good price. Pick one up :edthumbs:!

Rocketdog and richbdd01 like this.
  20. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

This album came out at the very beginning of my being old enough to listen to music... some very fond memories

21. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

great album! would love to hear any comparisons between original vinyl and reissue.

Wonder how many copies of the original press there were?

joshm2286 likes this.
  22. Paully

Ok, I am trying to figure out what is going on. Bought a copy and quite literally this is the worst sounding record I have when compared to another copy in another format. It is really, really noticeable on Push but is throughout the first side so far. So hauled in my wife's better ears and her response was "sounds like there is a pillow over the speakers." Switched to the CD without telling her and she came back and said, "wow that's better. What did you do?" The top end sounds completely sucked out. There is just no sparkle. I am busy comparing records to CDs where I have duplicates and trying to see if something is wrong with my vinyl set-up but so far nothing. This record just sounds dull and lifeless.

paolo and GentleSenator like this.
  23. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Back 2 Good is such a great song

drivingfrog and Tree of Life like this.
  24. Kyle M.

Kyle M. Forum Resident

I just got mine this past Tuesday from Amazon. I don't have the greatest system by any standards but it sounds very very good to my ears. This is one of my favorite albums and of all time I discovered it in 2000 and it just never gets old.

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Interesting...and strange! I haven't seen a single negative review of this here and there are a few on discogs, although I see that as less reliable of course.

Sometimes these things are system dependant I guess...it's really a head scratcher!? I really hope you're wrong, as mine is on the way...:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.