Matt Groening's "Disenchantment" — coming to Netflix in 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Synopsis: "The series is described as an adult fantasy about a crumbling medieval kingdom known as Dreamland. Disenchantment will be about life and death, love and sex, and how to keep laughing in a world full of suffering and idiots, despite what the elders and wizards and other jerks tell you” .

So, it's political satire? I'm in. :)

Strummergas and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. AKA

Matt Groening Netflix Series ‘Disenchantment’ Sets Premiere Date

Matt Groening Netflix Series ‘Disenchantment’ Sets Premiere Date

By Joe Otterson

[​IMG]

Netflix has set the official premiere date for the upcoming Matt Groening adult animated comedy fantasy series “Disenchantment.”

The first 10 episodes will debut on Aug. 17. The series takes place in the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland. It follows the misadventures of hard-drinking young princess Bean, her feisty elf companion Elfo, and her personal demon Luci. Along the way, the oddball trio will encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools. Netflix previously gave the series a 20-episode order.

The series will feature the voice talents of Abbi Jacobson as Bean, Nat Faxon as Elfo, and Eric Andre as Luci. Other voice talent includes John DiMaggio, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, David Herman–all of whom have worked with Groening in the past–as well as Matt Berry, Jeny Batten, Rich Fulcher, Noel Fielding, and Lucy Montgomery. Animation is being done by Rough Draft Studios, the same studio did the animation for Groening’s “Futurama.”

Netflix also released several first look images from the show, which can be viewed below.

Disenchantment” is produced by The ULULU Company for Netflix, with Matt Groening and Josh Weinstein serving as executive producers.

Groening is of course best known for creating “The Simpsons,” which recently wrapped its 29th season on Fox. The series broke the record for the longest-running primetime television series in April with its 636th episode, beating previous record holder “Gunsmoke.” “The Simpsons” has already been renewed for a 30th season. Groening also created the popular animated series “Futurama,” which ran for four seasons on Fox from 1999-2003 before being revived at Comedy Central for three more seasons starting in 2009.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Sounds thematically like a bit of Life in Hell's mix of humor and darkness; I'll be checking it out.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sounds fun, I'm looking forward to it.

AKA likes this.
  6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

He should bring back Akbar and Jeff.

7. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Long time Simpsons/Futurama fanboy here, so I'm in.

AKA and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Looks interesting. I will check it out.

AKA likes this.
  9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Great to hear! Can’t wait

AKA likes this.
  10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

The pictures make me think it's Futurama. Who will the writers be?

11. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

These are the ones known so far:
    Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein (of golden-age Simpsons and Mission Hill, also producer/exec producer and likely showrunners)
    Shion Takeuchi (Regular Show, Gravity Falls)
    Jeff Rowe (Gravity Falls)
    Abe Groening (Matt's son)
    Jeny Batten (Superstore)
    Rich Fulcher (American comedian much better known in the UK for his acting roles such as The Mighty Boosh; also staff writer on Rick & Morty)
    M. Dickson (Superstore)
    Briggs (Indigenous Australian rapper and writer, did Aussie sketch show Black Comedy)

Zoot Marimba and AKA like this.
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Hopefully this will make up for the end of 'Adventure Time.' I'm also hopeful it won't just be a carbon copy of 'Futurama' in a slightly different setting. Which is, honestly, what they seem to be making it look like.

AKA likes this.
  13. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

My husband and I are huge Futurama fans, so I know we'll be checking it out. I used to watch The Simpsons when I was growing up but haven't seen it in years. There is no easy way to watch it nowadays, as it is not on streaming.

My initial thought on this plot/character pitch: it seems like a really small main cast at only three people. The joy of Futurama was the Planet Express crew plus supporting characters like Zapp Branigan. The Simpsons has the main family plus the residents of Springfield. I assume they will be trying to build a strong supporting cast in the residents of Dreamland.

Looking forward to it!

Zoot Marimba, AKA and DHamilton like this.
  14. AKA

GeoffC and agentalbert like this.
  15. AKA

GeoffC likes this.
  16. AKA

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Now we're talking. The other trailers weren't funny at all. THIS one feels like Matt Groening!

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess the reason is that this will be a serialized show, rather than being episodic which allows the introduction of many diverse characters to tell a specific story. Also, having fewer episodes per season (than Futurama, The Simpsons, etc) doesn't help with the character count.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm eight eps in so far. It took two or three eps to get the 'feel' of the show. The more I saw, the more it felt like a Futurama time-travel show to the middle ages. Not only are there very familiar Futurama character voices, but also quite a few characters that looked like those in Futurama.

The show gets better in the latter stages and there are some good gags along the way, however I have to say that I wasn't completely enchanted.

P.S.
    Bring back Futurama!

20. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

As a big futurama fan this was a must see for me and so far it has been great. The humour is good, if a little less snappier than expected. Apart from the fantasy side there is a lot of historical detail in the backgrounds/events - morris dancing (look it up), the plague, etc which helps paint the picture. Stories, and the overall story arc, are good too. I would have liked more of Matt Berrys character as it was underused (because of his body change i guess) as Berry is a brilliant one line guy in the vain of Troy McClure. There's quite a few surprises along the way too, so overall i was more than enchanted!

Ghostworld and Strummergas like this.
  21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It's okay but certainly not great. The last three episodes, though, are more like what I expected and give me some optimism for next season. It's mildly entertaining, but far from compelling.

It really seems like a lot more effort went into the awesome animation than went into the mediocre scripts. There were times I felt sorry for the voice actors. Imagine how optimistic they must have been when they were first cast in a new Matt Groening show! Especially Eric Andre. They gave him almost nothing to do all season beyond making the occasional sarcastic comment.

22. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

It has a good look, but I thought it dragged and found myself checking the time during the first episode. I expect I’ll watch the rest, but I’m not in a hurry to.

Andy Mitri likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I laughed out loud three times during the first two episodes. Most modern comedies like "The Hangover" or "Last American Vrigin" fail to make me laugh even once over a 2-hour period. Matt Groening makes funnier stuff than anyone else. The first couple shows of every series suck, because no one know what they're doing yet, and the character are misshapen and ill-formed (look at the Simpsons) and WE are also to blame, since we aren't familiar with the characters yet to programmed laugh at their usual personality. I think the show is up to par with his others and will get better as they get their duck in line. I just don't like that demon. Lose it. Too ****ing Disney!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    GeoffC likes this.
  24. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Actually Ghostworld I disagree about the demon looking 'Disney', he seems quite abstract with his flat black colour and only 2 dimensional design. Also his eye is not like the other characters whose are circular - his is egg shaped. I guess it's hard is 'graphic' style that I like, which appeals to me.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It's Zog that I hated the most; his character just seems so pointless and one-note for someone who plays such an important part in the plot. He was never funny, just annoying. Luci seems like a wasted opportunity, as his entire job seem to be to corrupt someone who's basically a teenage female Bart Simpson. I was anticipating a lot of jokes based on him feeling unnecessary while the other two were starting to define thsemlves by breaking free of their social constraints. Instead; nothing. He just followed along making the occasional observational comment.

Deesky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.