Matt Monro - The George Martin Years CD (& appreciation thread) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vzok, Aug 6, 2016.

1. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Will have to look this up too!

voles likes this.
  2. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Unless something on the download is wrong. The mix of take 11 was made by Peter Mew during pre production for singles in stereo. Will look at it again when i get home just to check im not going mad!

voles likes this.
  3. voles

voles Forum Lurker

'Here's to my Lady' is Stereo on The EMI Years / The Capitol Years / Through the Years.

I got Georgy Girl, Maria (Through The Years version) & Did it Happen? from there.

'Sunny gets Blue' is Stereo on Great Gentlemen of Song / Spotlight on Matt Monro.

Both on Parlophone

I don't think these collections have been discussed in this thread up to now. Are they any good?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    vzok likes this.
  4. voles

voles Forum Lurker

More likely me then you!

5. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Both are taken directly from Capitol Masters. The copies of Capital tracks on Spotlight are listed as remixes from the 3 & 4 tracks, although I don't think they are as they are identical to the originals. (The EMI tracks on Spotlight are from 2nd Gen liberty tapes so aren't up to much.)

EMI/Capitol/Through the Years were originally released separately and eventually boxed together

adriatikfan likes this.
  6. voles

voles Forum Lurker

When I come to look at the track listing for Gentleman
    and the tracks on the latter were all first generation?

7. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Yet apparently 'Look for Small Pleasures', 'Hello Dolly' and 'Put on a Happy Face' are in Stereo - at least they are on the EMI twofer' Hollywood and Broadway!

8. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

EMI Years - From UK archives, Usually 1st gen (although due to the way it was mastered originally the Hoagy would be 2nd gen until Words and Music).
    Capitol - All from 1st Gen Capitol (or UK for those tracks recorded over here)
    Through the Years - As far as I know this is a mixture of UK & US.

Like most of the "Years" sets by many other artists these are well done.

voles and adriatikfan like this.
  9. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Yes but if memory serves me right copied from another CD - possibly Capitol Years and others.

voles likes this.
  10. vzok

vzok Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apple Tree sounds like stereo too.

11. vzok

Is the "Through The Years" version of Maria different from other versions available?

12. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

vzok and adriatikfan like this.
  13. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Sounds good on Hollywood and Broadway but definitely mono...

14. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Browsing through iTunes (like you do), I noticed that 'When Love Comes Along' is in fake stereo on Love is a Many Splendored Thing which looks a bit of a dodgy release to me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  15. voles

voles Forum Lurker

qqsssq
    So is it possible to list which tracks have come out on reissued albums 'incorrectly' in Mono or remastered from UK 2nd generation tapes or whatever? Perhaps we have already accounted for all of them? I hope this is isn't a big ask.

16. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Probably is dodgy if its got Love is a Many.... on it as that's in copyright. Probably taken from the original vinyl release of Heartbreakers which had the son in "electronically created stereo"

voles likes this.
  17. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Its far easier to state where the best versions are of each track - as I'm doing on this thread - as there are so many badly mastered Matt cds out there it would take a ridiculous amount of time to put together.

vzok and adriatikfan like this.
  18. vzok

Just listening on headphones. I’ve got stereo.

19. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Well it's mono on my disc and I don't see why there would be two versions - two different covers, but the disc is the same mastering. Also there is no copy of the Stereo mix in the UK archives. Can you give us the catalogue no. and label details? Just in case there is another version of the disc I've never come across before.

20. vzok

Since I posted last, I ripped my “Hollywood and Broadway” into iTunes and you are both quite right “Apple Tree” is mono. But the track I already had listed under “Invitation To Broadway” is stereo.

I normally tag tracks to say where I’ve got them from and as this wasn’t tagged I assumed it was a rip of the CD. It sounds too clean to be a vinyl rip, but I can’t remember where it came from. Apologies for the walk up the garden path.

voles likes this.
  21. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

It's always possible that some of the "not on CD" tracks appeared on the odd obscure compilation nobody really knows about.

adriatikfan likes this.
  22. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Yes Richard, thanks. That did occur to me afterwards though it was too late to delete the post.

Keep up the good work.

23. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Looking at
    Looking at the Capitol Period at the moment, but this will take a bit more time as the album tracks are all over the place!

voles and vzok like this.
  24. vzok

Did you try any of these collections?

Have you been opting for downloads or CDs?

25. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Generally i have gone for cds or lossless downloads from Qobuz for the 'star' items, wherever they are available, generally taking the least expensive option. That used to be rule for all, but now, for ones that are not remastered by Richard like the above, I tend to go for an iTunes download.

vzok likes this.