Matt Monro - The George Martin Years CD (& appreciation thread) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vzok, Aug 6, 2016.

1. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Simon A likes this.
  2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

As far as I know this is the only CD with YWIWY on it. If I am remembering correctly, it was a recent find in his catalogue when this CD came out. Matt skips one of the verses too, but his version is tremendous and I am a huge fan of Roy Clark's hit version. You can find this on Amazon or eBay still I believe for a modest price. I think it was an import release originally on the EMI Gold label. It also includes his great hit version of The Beatles Yesterday, which ironically was the first single release of that great song.

[​IMG]

Simon A likes this.
  3. vzok

vzok Forum Resident Thread Starter

It’s a great collection. It also includes quite a lot of tracks that are not available elsewhere.

RSteven likes this.
  4. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Many thanks for the hint. Yes, still available for modest prices, but copy-controlled :sigh:

RSteven likes this.
  5. vzok

It’s good to know that there is at least the possibility of a new release. Matt seemed to have been completely forgotten by the record companies since the rejig a few years ago.

6. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

7. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Interesting. I have to admit i've not taken much interest in European compilations so had no idea it was on there.

8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

They look pretty identical don't they? I guess the remastering might be different as I am not familiar with the above label at all.

9. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Very much doubt the mastering will be any different.

RSteven likes this.
  10. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Any plans to reissue Matt Monro UK albums on vinyl using the original EMI analog master tapes?

Artur Torres likes this.
  11. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Sorry to say that as far as the record coompanies are concerned, there isn't enough interest.

I do hope to get as many ss possible future releases put out as Hi Res downloads.

adriatikfan likes this.
  12. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

At least cds, please. Please.

RSteven likes this.
  13. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

That's guaranteed. Any new release should be CD. Just trying to get a 24/96 download option available too!

adriatikfan, ggjjr and RSteven like this.
  14. vzok

It’s odd when vinyl sales are on the rise.

15. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

But not everything sells well on vinyl. Matt is very popular in the UK still, less so around the world.

I will also put my my hand up and say I'm not a vinyl fan im afraid. I spend my life making things sound clean and clear and getting rid of distortion, rumble, clicks and crackles so I don't want to re introduces them! (Stands back and waits for firing squad!)

Simon A, rob68, ggjjr and 2 others like this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Although I appreciate and respect our vinyl collectors on this great board and I have some my self, just for their splendid artwork alone, I think putting limited resources in both CD and vinyl is probably not a wise economic move in the long run as it may help lead to making them both a niche market in this explosive and growing world of streaming.

Simon A likes this.
  17. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Woo-hoo! I lived through vinyl's first phase and bought tons of it in the 70s and 80s but would not ever go back. So much of the music I like is quiet stuff and who wants to hear pops and ticks during that.

RSteven and ggjjr like this.
  18. vzok

A longer version of Matt's "Bound For Texas"

hodgo likes this.
  19. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

That's interesting. I'd not heard that before, only the shorter version as issued on the soundtrack LP. This must be as it appears in the film although something in my memory says it appears twice, I'd always thought it was the same both times. Sounds like a completely different take too, not the issued track being a edit of this one. Will have a look at the film.

Good spot!

vzok likes this.
  20. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Been talking to Capitol about a new release today too.......... Finger's crossed!

adriatikfan, Simon A, vzok and 3 others like this.
  21. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you Richard hoping you're able to pull things off.

RSteven likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

not to mention the hassle of playback and the challenge of maintaining the turntable/cartridge.

I can't get over people paying $50 and up for a vinyl album when the CD may be discounted to $11. The sound is not that different. Then you read of people returning multiple copies of the vinyl over real or perceived defects

23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator note:

As a lover of both formats, (it's all about the mastering) let's not turn this thread into a discussion of Vinyl vs CD please!

24. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Any up date Richard?.

This has been a great thread and the info (music) is what its all about!.

25. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Not yet. All I can say is we are working with Capitol to hopefully release two different sets - not at the same time though. It is slow going with these things! All down to sales/marketing these days.

hodgo and Simon A like this.