Matt Monro - The Rarities Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Hi All

Due to the recent takeover of EMI by Universal and the subsequent sell off of the Parlophone Music Group to Warner's, some of the recent Matt Monro collections which were wonderfully compiled and remastered by Richard Moore have now been deleted, including both the 2 CD collections of "The Rare Monro" & "Uncovered - The Rarer Monro", the two collections will now be replaced with a 3 CD "The Rarities Collection" minus all the Capitol songs that remain with Universal .

[​IMG]

The info below is taken from Michele Monro's August blog...

Warner now officially owns EMI UK. The bad news is that all the new titles including The Rare Monro, Rarer Monro, Matt at the Movies, The Complete Singles Collection and The Greatest have been taken by Universal and deleted from EMI’s catalogue list. This is disastrous for us and if I’d had any inkling that this could happen I wouldn’t have released the new one when I did. The solution – I have persuaded Parlophone to release a "Rarities Collection" and if all goes well it will be available on 7 October. This will take the form of a three CD set and include the best of the ‘Rare Monro’ and ‘Matt Uncovered” plus a few new tidbits to add extra interest. By taking away all the Capitol tracks, it will give us something exciting to offer the British market.

A little more from the September Blog.....

The big news on the "Rarities Collection" is that we have finally, after years of arguing been able to include ‘Bound for Texas’ and as always Richard has done the impossible and mastered it all to perfection. A real treat for the avid Matt Monro fan.

As I explained last month Warner now officially owns EMI UK. The bad news is that all the new titles including The Rare Monro, Rarer Monro, Matt at the Movies, The Complete Singles Collection and The Greatest have been taken by Universal and deleted from EMI’s catalogue list. This is disastrous and no amount of emails to Universal has resulted in a reply. I think it is a bloody disgrace and makes me realise that we will probably never be able to license any Capitol tracks again. It would seem no one at the company knows how to write an email!! If you are missing any of the past gems in your collection I urge you to trawl the websites for any left over stock. The Complete Singles Collection is especially brilliant and includes literally every track dad ever released a s a single together with the B-side but it the remastering that has hailed it as a real ‘gem’. One of Richard’s finest hours.. well actually months.. it did take a long time to work on the five CD set but the blood, sweat and tears were worth the wait. Because dad is on a Budget label none of the albums are particularly expensive so the time to buy is now. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

The new remastered collection is due out on 7th October all being well so make sure to support Matt's music so that hopefully Parlophone will see fit to release more goodies from Matt.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. hodgo

I spent Monday looking through the track listings for the previous "Rare & Rarer" collections along with the upcoming "Rarities Collection, what I did was to compile a CD consisting of the songs included on "Rare & Rarer" but omitted from the new "Rarities collection", so if you would like to compile your own CD to slot into the new set for completeness and ease of listening then I've listed the missing tracks below..........

Edited due to corrections and updated info in post #3 from Richard Moore, for Updated CD track list see post #6

For those interested, I've also created a CD label adapted from disc two of "Rarer Monro"

Matt Monro - Raities Collection Disc 4.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  3. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Thanks for that.

One small mistake

These Things Happen is on the new set so it doesn't need to be on this disc - it was recorded for Parlophone in 1960.

You may also wish to consider taking the following songs from the Complete Singles Collection where they appear in from my remasters (I didn't master 'Rare')

1. Other People
    2. All of a Sudden
    3. Yours Alone
    4. Only The Night Wind Knows
    7. Try To Remember (this comes from a vinyl source on 'Rare')
    8. The Lady Smiles
    9. Don’t Answer Me
    12. Where In The World
    13. All That Remains
    15. Picking Up the Pieces

The versions of are unique to 'Rare'
    5. No Puedo Quitar Mis Ojos De Ti (Can’t Take My Eyes Off You)
    6. Love Song (Unedited Version)
    11. Cuando Miro En Tus Ojos (When I Look into Your Eyes)
    14. Lovers Caravan

4. hodgo

Thanks for that info Richard, I'll change my CD to omit "These Things Happen" and to include the most recently remastered songs from "The Singles Collection"

5. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Hodgo, that list was something I was going to do so I could set them up as a playlist on itunes, so you've saved me a job there - thanks.

Richard, can you tell me which version of Bound For Texas is going to be on the CD? I don't have the Chaplin Revue album, so I downloaded a version which is 2 1/2 minutes long, but I saw ages ago someone uploaded a version on youtube (I'm guessing it was a vinyl rip) which was well over 3 minutes long.

hodgo likes this.
  6. hodgo

I've updated the List for the "Missing Tracks CD" as per Richards corrections in post #3 and vzok's post #29, see below................

Matt Monro - The Rarities Collection (The Missing Tracks) Disc 4 ...... UPDATED as Per Richards post #3 & vzok's Post #29

1. Other People
    2. All of a Sudden
    3. Yours Alone
    4. Only The Night Wind Knows
    5. No Puedo Quitar Mis Ojos De Ti (Can’t Take My Eyes Off You)
    6. Love Song
    7. Try To Remember
    8. The Lady Smiles
    9. Don’t Answer Me
    10. Cuando Miro En Tus Ojos (When I Look into Your Eyes)
    11. Where In The World
    12. All That Remains
    13. Lovers Caravan
    14. Picking Up the Pieces
    15. The World I Used To Know
    16. Pretty Polly (Soundtrack Version)
    17. Maria (Spanish)
    18. If You Go away
    19. Lovin’ You Again
    20. If You Go Away
    21. Two People (Film Version)
    23. Nothing To Lose

This CD is made up of Songs taken from the now deleted "Rare" & "Rarer Monro" collections, 23 of which are missing from the "Matt Monro Rarities Collection"

Tracks Sourced from..............

Tracks 1,3,4,7,8,9,11,12 - "The Complete Singles Collection" Disc 3

Tracks 2 & 14 - "The Complete Singles Collection" Disc 4

Tracks 5, 6, 10 - "The Rare Monro" Disc 1

Tracks 15 - 22 - "Uncovered The Rarer Monro" Disc 2

Track 23 - "The Rare Monro" Disc 2

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    vzok likes this.
  7. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

How can you spend so much time and effort in putting out better MASTERS/OUT TAKES,then a sort few years later a label comes along and says that has to go from the CATALOGUE???.

Sorry for the out burst HODGO ... these things make this old guy very angry and feel sorry for the Monro family and Richard.

"The Rarities Collection" ... looking forward to this set and thanks for your work on the info Hodgo.

hodgo likes this.
  8. hodgo

Your outburst is fine by me and I couldn't agree with you more!

With artists struggling to sell their product or even get it re-released as Michele Monro managed to do with her fathers music, only to have the rug pulled from underneath them like this is quite frankly disgusting.

Pulling the rug like this benefits no one, certainly not Universal who had they allowed these releases to stay in print, would have with no financial layout as the product is already out there, continued to receive royalties, its no wonder the music business is in such a lousy state with actions like this.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Hope I'm not threadcrapping here; I'm no Matt Monro fan, but to see what Universal are doing to catalogue that's been done PROPERLY and with no little thought and work really winds me up. I'm about to buy The Shadows' box set that Richard has remastered (as I know many people here are) and I don't doubt his work on the Monro discs will be the same top-notch stuff. It's not as though the previous Monro CD sets are badly mastered, thrown-together brickwalled cack that no one would miss. Richard - I can't even begin to pretend to understand how you and the Monro family must feel about this; not even a reply to repeated emails?. That goes beyond ignorance - that sounds deliberate to me. I'd be spitting blood. Hope for all of you the Universal situation improves.

hodgo likes this.
  10. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

I didn't do the Shadows set (although i would have liked to). It was Peter Mew just before he retired. By all accounts it sounds good, but i haven't heard it myself yet.

Remastering/Restoration notes now up:-

http://www.mint-audio-restoration.co.uk/News/rarities.html

11. hodgo

Thanks for all your hard work and the fascinating info Richard it is much appreciated around these parts.

12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Sorry, Richard - getting my threads mixed up; it's Rob Bradford who's done the Shadows box. But I stand by everything I said in my original post - you must have the patience of a saint to get knocked back as often as you do. I know I wouldn't like it.

13. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Yes Rob Bradford compiled it, Peter Mew mastered it.

There is no point in dwelling on things, you just have to battle on!

14. hodgo

Richard, on the MM website Michele gave a 7th October release date for "Rarities", has this been moved back a little? I ask because so far its not showing up on Amazon UK.

15. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

We haven't been told of a delay but Steve Woof who looked after the release has left so we are a bit in limbo at the moment.

16. hodgo

OK Richard thanks for the feedback,

It's a shame about Steve Woof leaving, I can't say I blame anyone for taking early retirement though, I just hope his replacement is just as good and sympathetic to both artists and fans alike.

17. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

At the moment we don't eve know if there will be a replacement!

18. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Date of set pushed back until 21st October.

19. MEMPHISSUN

Thanks for the up-date Richard.

Hodgo has it spot on with getting someone in that will be good to work with.

20. hodgo

21. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Got my 3CD set yesterday, and it is well worth checking out. The tracks that were on Rare Monro certainly sound better here, and the tracks from Matt's radio show have a better flow linked together, rather than dotted in amongst his studio recordings as they were on the previous collection. A welcome addition to the Matt catalogue. Thanks of course to Richard and Michele for their ongoing hard work.

hodgo likes this.
  22. hodgo

Due to finances I've not got mine yet because I've had to choose the slower free delivery for all my orders this month, but even though I've got the two earlier collections after your mini review I'm now looking forward to this new set more than ever, for the material we keep from the earlier two sets it sounds like this will be a nice upgrade in terms of both sound quality and sequencing.

23. MEMPHISSUN

Wonder why the same cover shot as THE RARE MONRO ... in the end the songs that count and looking forward to getting this version / set in the door.

24. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Simply because Michele liked the photo and because rare has been deleted - so why not use the same picture? Especially as it has a lot of the same content!

There are a limited number of studio pictures available of matt and most of those belong to Capitol so it's not as if we have loads to choose from!

25. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

The sound quality on 'Strike Up The Band' seems to me to be a massive improvement over Rare Monro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.