Matthew Sweet - What albums to explore?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Matthew Sweet
    What's his best albums? All I have is Girlfriend and In Reverse. What else to get?

2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I think you also need the Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs Under The Covers albums.

Matthew Sweet is one of those artists where I have acquired almost all his albums but haven't given them the listens they deserve to provide a decent answer.

DocShipe, Curveboy, ZenMango and 6 others like this.
  3. alexpop

in reverse- has lots of professional musicians involved, he must have had a big production budget.

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

5. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Blue Sky on Mars.

ultron9, Telegram Sam, enro99 and 7 others like this.
  6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yeah, that's a good one too. Just a step down for me from the 90s holy trinity

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

Holy trinity : Aimee Mann, Jason Falkner ?

Telegram Sam likes this.
  8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

ha! sorry. Trinity of albums. I perhaps should have said trilogy. Trinity implies people.
    Girlfriend, Altered Beast, 100% Fun. All superb.

9. alexpop

Thought that, power pop poetic licence. :)

windfall likes this.
  10. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Wow, I was just listening to Mathew S w e e t a few minutes ago on my drive to work! I love his music and need to explore more. I've got 100% Fun and In Reverse. In Reverse is a really, really good album. The CD case is made backwards too (to open on the left edge instead of the right), just so you know. I thought someone had put it together wrong when I first got it, then it hit me. Looking on-line, that may be a hard one to find at a good price. Who knew.

The covers albums with Susanna Hoffs are alright. I enjoy them for what they are, but the sonics on them are terrible - they sound like low-rate mp3s.

Some of his songs that I love: Thunderstorm, I should never have let you know, I almost forgot, I've been waiting.

11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

You cannot go wrong with anything he did in the 90s. As mentioned above, get the classic albums in between those you have (Altered Beast, 100% Fun, Blue Sky).
    Also grab Son of Altered Beast, an extended EP with some great gems, and Kimi Ga Suki * Raifu a quickly recorded album originally only released in Japan for his fans there, which is very much in the vain of his early work.

I would agree the Under the Covers series, while not horrible, is lacking the punch of his albums. Also, the last several albums proper have been adequate, but don't hold a candle to the classic stuff. Tread carefully.

enro99 and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

What's wrong with post 2000 albums ?

13. So was the title designed to be impossible to search for?

14. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I've found something to enjoy in all of his albums, but agree that Altered Beast and 100% Fun would probably be best to explore next (but hey, if you find any of his albums at a decent price go ahead and pick them up no matter which order). If you're buying vinyl get his newest (and possibly Record Store Day only release), Wicked System Of Things quickly, before prices get to insane. His first solo album, Inside, is a lot more 80's pop than his later stuff, but still worth a listen...And don't forget The Thorns, the band and album he recorded with Pete Droge and Shawn Mullins.

15. windfall

windfall Senior Member

IMHO, as with so many artists, the quality of the songwriting tends to deteriorate. I am of the opinion that, no matter how good they are, everyone has a limited amount of astounding melodies, chord sequences, riffs, whatever, that they can come up with, and then it's a decline, sometimes gradual, sometimes rapid.

moople72, jamesc, sonofjim and 2 others like this.
  16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yes, The Thorns album is amazing.

ARK, Artietodd, Linolad and 1 other person like this.
  17. alexpop

Or repeating yourself. Thinking Aimee Mann, though , I love her sound

windfall likes this.
  18. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I think Girlfriend is brilliant and I also love the Goodfriend album with variations on a few of the Girlfriend songs and some other cool things.

windfall and alexpop like this.
  19. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I think he is great but as a songwriter I think he peaked by the early 2000's. Love just about all of his 90's output. Hard to go wrong.

intv7, windfall and alexpop like this.
  20. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I love Matthew Sweet's music. I bought the new 100% Fun SACD from Intervention Records and have enjoyed it. One good thing about Matthew is that I find a lot of his titles in the thrifts, especially the "holy trinity" of releases and his best of disc. So keep an eye out at the thrifts for titles not being released by IR.

21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Nothing wrong per se, but I'd be lying if I said I liked them more than the 90s stuff. Listen for yourself to see. His classic run for me is some of the greatest music ever written. Girlfriend is my all-time favourite album and its been that way for many years. I adore Matthew and keep buying his albums, which I'm happy he is still making, but they are never going to be as great as the early ones.

alexpop likes this.
  22. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Perhaps an easy way to distinguish this thread from all of those other “Keith S w e a t” threads...

;)

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I don’t see it as an absolute limit in terms of numbers. Creative prowess is just another one of those traits that sadly seems to wither on the vine as we age. For some faster than others as you imply.

Kingsley Fats, alexpop and windfall like this.
  24. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I prefer Blue Sky On Mars to Altered Beast, on par with 100% Fun, and just below Girlfriend.

The covers albums have good song selection, but not a single song bests the original.

25. alexpop

The "artist " loses the hunger, creative urge .. sort of thing ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.