Maud Lewis - artist - subject of new movie MAUDIE

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Anyone here heard of this film, or of Maud Lewis herself?

She lived from 1903-1970, crippled, and in what most would call poverty, but enjoyed painting local life in south-western Nova Scotia. Her work is far less detailed than Grandma Moses, but makes a great impact.

She sold her paintings from her one-room house, for about $5 each. She was quite prolific, and many of the scenes are repetitive, but they now sell for around $5,000 and up.

The movie features Sally Hawkins as Maud and Ethan Hawke as her husband. He was a bit of a rascal - I know an older lady who says he once "paid attention" to her, while her friend was buying a painting from Maud.

I wish I could post some pictures myself, but check out this Google page for samples of her work.

maud lewis - Google Search ยป

2. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Have you checked out her house, which is on display inside the Nova Scotia Art Gallery? It's amazing.

John B Good likes this.
  3. John B Good

Indeed! Looking forward to seeing the film.

4. John B Good

Just saw it last night. It is playing in Nova Scotia early, because this is the province where she lived.*

The movie is a beautifully executed (and somewhat fictionalized) version of Maude Lewis' life. I'm about 80 pages into a 400 page book about her, and expect to see discrepancies where the film takes liberties for the sake of box-office appeal. In real life it seems Everett (her husband) may have been a tad more what would now be called abusive, than is pictured in the movie. As portrayed in the movie, it is a sweet partnership of two isolated humans finding love together.

BTW although there seems to be no soundtrack cd, the music is by Michael Timmins. Thought I might be bearing Mark Knopfler until the credits came on. I hope it will come to DVD.

* Although landscape and seascape is not the focus of the movie, it should be noted that it was filmed mostly in Newfoundland rather than here. :(

5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Maybe their film tax credit is better than our current one.

6. John B Good

Good point. I'm not sure though, because it was being filmed when McNeil did his stupid.

Scotian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.