May I show-off my new website, for those who know (and know of) me? Audio Note at The Audio Home..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a single ended pentode amp. Not that I have any idea what exactly a single ended pentode is. It is a tiny amp, its deck is about the size of a piece of copy paper. It is powered by 6V6 tubes and produces a whole 3.9 watts. But, with the A7's, 3.9 watts can go pretty far.

Since I really like tubes in the EL84 family, I would enjoy hearing what they could bring to the single end pentode table.

2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

Is anyone in this forum going to the LA/OC Gala on Sunday, in Buena Park? If yes, FIND ME there. I will give you a free gift, that I think you will enjoy.

3. Warren Jarrett

Kenneth, Please contact me directly, via my email, [email protected]. I have pictures of the mid/high crossover as it is now set-up in the cabinet.

What I see for the tweeter is first a small value but high power resistor in series with a large capacitor and then an inductor in series, no transformer. For the midrange, there is a separate input pair of jacks, first a small value but high power resistor, then capacitors and inductor in parallel with each other, nothing else.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  4. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Warren;

You are such a positive addition to this hobby. I hope those Matrix 800s are even better than you remember!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Warren Jarrett

Can you believe I haven't been able to hear these newly arrived (a week ago) Matrix 800 speakers yet?

Besides coming in 6 crates, and complicated to set-up and configure -- 300 pounds each, 6 cabinets that bolt together, and configurable passive crossovers for single amp, bi-amp, tri-amp, or quad-amp, in combination with using an external active crossover -- I need some specialized accessories to make then work with the configuration of amps and XLR/RCA cables that I choose to use with them. And this holiday season, FedEx and UPC are delivering my packages late, so every time I expect something to arrive, I find out it's only 1/2 across the country as of their "estimated" delivery date.

I don't find it frustrating, because I fully realize this is not a simple system to set-up. But it is trying my patience for "instant gratification".

All I need now is one RCA Y-connector from Cardas (they are now custom making it to match a single that I already have), and one specific-frequency electronic-crossover module from Marchand. Hopefully they both arrive tomorrow, and my first listen will be tomorrow night.

6. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

LOL VS the AN E that you can pick up easy and stick one set of cables and just plop down in the corner.

Virtual polar opposites in yerms if weight and ease of set-up. :)

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  7. Warren Jarrett

Oh yes, you are right. And there are also these polar opposite things about them:

1. I remember from 30 years ago that these speakers played the best sound I had ever heard... but that was before I ever heard an AN speaker. So, I just have no idea yet how they will compare, or maybe CANNOT be compared, like apples and oranges.

2. These B&Ws are (uniquely for that company) 93 dB efficient, so the 45 watt AN SET monos should have more than plenty of power for them... but B&W recommended minimum 150 watts, for no logical reason that I can think of. How can the tweeter/midrange be so wonderfully efficient, and the bass drivers have complimentary efficiency for use full-range with 1 amplifier, yet need so much power to sound good? The AN/E low-efficiency versions sound perfect with 6 watts, and with just 3 dB added efficiency, the HE versions sound perfect with 3 watts. --OK, one factor is that AN/E can be located in the room corners, whereas the Matrix 800 need to be out it the middle of a big room.

3. These speakers have 4 x 12" woofers, that I am going to independently amplify, with one 150 w amp channel per woofer, Audio Research power... But my 8" woofers in the AN/E speakers, in room 2, never once have disappointed me in the quantity, quality, and clarity of their low and VERY low bass, using AN SET power.

4. They are both British-made... but look like from different planets. The ANs should look elegant in any proper, tasteful European home... the Matrix 800 would look fine in the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey.

5. The B&W speakers are not practical to sell, buy or own. They are just a personal adventure for me. AN/E speakers are so amazingly practical, they are a pleasure to sell, buy AND own.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Steve Hoffman likes this.
  8. Richard Austen

They should sound quite good. The old Matrix series still sound good to this day. Indeed, some argue they siund better than the Nautilus series.

And thr AN E is kind of international. Based on the Snell.. American. Made in Denmark?? With Russian Birch Cabinets. And Japanese Foster Tonegan tweeters.

Also, I've jad to rethink a lot of opinions I've had on loudspeakers iver the years. Why? Because the speaker is inly one part of the chain. And most speakers don't have Audio Note digital or amplifiers running them. So back ib the 80s listening to B&W connected to Meridian and Bryston hardly puts B&W in the best possible light. Conversely how would the AN E do with Bryston/Meridian? Things to ponder with garbage in garbage out philosophy.

Put it this way... the B&W will like sound as good as they possibly can with the gear you are running.

9. Richard Austen

I really have to never post using my phone - holy cow my fingers can never push the right letters.

10. Warren Jarrett

And, at the other extreme of price, my Audio Note P1-SE-Signature amplifier (with EL-84, like the Oto) will arrive today, for Room 3. VERY EXCITING.

Rolltide likes this.
  11. russk

russk Forum Resident

What kind of load do those B&W represent? How complicated is the crossover? I can't imagine they are easy to drive.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. triple

triple Senior Member

Could you please post a photo of the inside of the EL84 SE amp? I have seen the pictures of the standard Oto, but not the more expensive version(s).

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have the upgraded OTO here and by chance it has the top off. Do you want to see pics of the inside?

33na3rd and FashionBoy like this.
  14. triple

triple Senior Member

Yes please!

15. Steve Hoffman

Audio Note UK OTO Phono SE Signature Integrated amplifier.

The phono section, line section, power supply and the big picture. AC6F36ED-638C-42A6-9C9B-71054881AA9A.jpeg 5A250584-D563-4200-A390-DA701280F707.jpeg CF4F5A8B-319C-45A7-8293-82A65FEB7288.jpeg 43E5F0CD-9EEF-4FB9-916D-EF31588C306C.jpeg 6DD63E6B-3BB7-4A26-9686-43B44F42224C.jpeg

beowulf, IanL and Richard Austen like this.
  16. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

How much does that go for?

17. Warren Jarrett

I opened the top of the P1-SE-Signature and it has exactly the same EL-84 board and transformers as the Oto Signature Steve shows above, but missing all the other boards. The P1-SE is $3975; P1-SE-Signature is $5375.

Done A Ton likes this.
  18. Warren Jarrett

These B&W Matrix 800 crossovers are very simple, but an active external crossover and bi- or ti-amplification is highly recommended. They are 4 ohm and 93 dB efficient. Really not hard to drive, compared to other models of 800, 801, and 802 I believe, older and newer.

I am tri-amping, with a Marchand crossover now, but I also have a Krell crossover (waiting for the power supply to arrive) that was specifically made for this model of Matrix 800 speakers.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    russk likes this.
  19. marka

marka Forum Resident

I held my laptop up to my Oto, the music stopped, and I heard softly through the speakers, "Hello cuz".

And then the music continued....

Encore likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Blood relatives!

Kenneth73 likes this.
  21. Warren Jarrett

Does Marka's laptop have any silver internal wiring or Black Gate capacitors? That would make it a Laptop Signature.

Rolltide likes this.
  22. marka

marka Forum Resident

Unfortunately, only pictures of them. Otherwise, I'd be in aural heaven everywhere I went.

23. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Why not add a couple of lines of text such as "I use a home to feature this equipment because it will be used in a home."

This might help with an initial reaction where someone doesn't see a store like they expect, and wonder "how professional is this guy?" - I'd want that right up front.

pickuparm likes this.
  24. Warren Jarrett

It is a one million dollar home, exclusively used to demo Audio Note and Voss Audio. I cannot see that an industrial location implies more professionalism. I have 35 years experience in the high-end audio industry. What do you think?

FashionBoy and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Warren, when do you sleep? Every time I am on the SHF, I see a new reply by you and I live in a different time zone (Europe). You seem to be awake 24/7 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.