May Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

Thanks to Johnny B's John Coltrane thread, you can guess what I played today...yep, the first CD press of MY FAVORITE THINGS. Never grows old, hard to believe it was recorded over forty years ago...

Vinyl: Finally found a mint mono copy of Andre Previn's LIKE LOVE from 1960. Previn has worn many hats in the course of his long career; this is a fine album, I think now on CD(should track it down).

Very interesting slab I came across just today: JAZZ POLL WINNERS(Columbia CS 8410), released during the spring of '61. The tracks were taken from lists compiled by Down Beat, Metromone, Playboy, and the like.
    Samples from each artist's key Lp, great track lineup:

Side 1:

MILES DAVIS: All Blues
    LIONEL HAMPTON: Blue Moon
    LAMBERT, HENDRICKS & ROSS: Cloudburst
    LES BROWN AND HIS BAND OF RENOWN: Night In Tunisia
    THE ART VAN DAMME QUINTET: Just You, Just Me
    J.J. JOHNSON SEXTET: Me Too

Side 2:

DAVE BRUBECK QUARTET: Blue Rondo A La Turk
    HI-LO's w/Marty Paich Deb-Tette: Something's Coming(from WEST SIDE STORY)
    CHARLES MINGUS: Better Git It In Your Soul
    DUKE ELLINGTON and his ORCH.: U.M.M.G.("Upper Manhattan Medical Group")
    GERRY MULLIGAN QUARTET: As Catch Can
    DON ELLIOTT & KENNY BURRELL ALL-STARS: Poll Tax

That's about 55 minutes of music on one piece of plastic...the inner sleeve is just as lavish, a six-page deal(with the back designed to house the record)with photos, poll listings, artist bios.

Definitely something to be saved for early evening.

ED:cool:

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

John Coltrane - Soultrane (MFSL)
    This SACD is excellent. Very nice mono sound! I prefer the Atlantic/Prestige recordings over the latter Impulse output and this title is one of my Coltrane favs. I haven't heard the DCC in awhile so I can't justly compare here. I think I'll wait on that for now and just enjoy this release for a time! Recommended. Ed...get one soon! :thumbsup:

Bobby Shew, Gary Foster & Friends - Play The Music Of Reed Kotler
    Thanks to Ron for the recommendation! :) A great double CD set! This is only my second exposure to Shew's work. The first was Salsa Caliente and this one is much different. This is a definite Sunday morning title.

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

How about DCC's own "Bags and Wes". Just a real cool set!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.