Maybe old news but had no idea there was going to be an avatar2, 3 and 4

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

It must have made one big ton of money for them to go ahead with not only 2 but 3 and 4.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for me one was enough...

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It was the highest grossing movie ever. Not counting inflation.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Can't wait for these. Loved "Avatar". I like it more than any of his other works.

Metralla likes this.
  6. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

More than enough!!

rebellovw and mikeyt like this.
  7. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

The first one felt like it was 1,2,3,4 & 5. It took me days to watch the whole thing because I kept falling asleep. It has to be the most overhyped film in history.

8. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

9. Michael

you are being too kind! it sucked royally!

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  10. Michael

Indubitably!

11. Michael

we've been spared!

12. pescholl

pescholl Active Member

Ichh! My wife dragged me to see it 6 times in 3D, then she got the extended version on Blu-ray and it has become her go-to Easter movie.
    If I ever see another naked, blue-skinned, cat person, I swear, I'll rip my eyes out!

13. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Schmaltz dressed up in beat me over the head moralising.

I saw it once on TV. I think I saw most of it. What rot.

JFS3 and Scott222C like this.
  14. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I love sci fi movies. It's pretty much all I watch. I couldn't get through Avatar.

15. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

:laugh:Avatar.......... just Cameron dressing up in his own silly child-like ways, old hoary film plot lines that went out back in the days of silent films. The 'fight to the death'between socalled villian and hero at the finish, reminded me of a kid's Saturday afternoon western flick. All it needed was a wagon out of control with no horses heading to go straight over a cliff and the audience wondering who is going to get off it, before it does. Plus Cameron's ecology slop messages, blue Smurfs, 'World music' and operatic style Wagnerian Tristan & Isolde lovers mating under a tree in the lush forest....
    Cameron should give us all a break, His intellectual story telling & directorial level , is at that of 'Kinder/Play School.'

Still one can see where it will all end up...... just more post theater impulse sale-buy - displays in every supermarket world-wide , for the DVDs,Blu Rays, 3-D versions as well as countless later 'extended versions', Oh! I forgot ...the food franchises in countless take away humburger joints and 'perhaps, Avatar-inspired' clothes lines for kids evrywhere. .

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

God knows we don't impulse sale-buy around here.:angel:
    Considering the crap that's at the movies they try to pass off as entertainment, I look forward to another avatar.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would gladly sit through Avatar ten times to any Michael Bay movie I can think of. I'm not saying Cameron's movies are fine art, but he is an incredible craftsman who makes very entertaining movies (for the most part).

On the other hand, I have a hard time arguing with this:

I think the worst things I can say about Avatar are the cliched villains, the repeated visual elements (like the robotic walkers stolen from Aliens), and the predictable plot. But the core elements are very good, plus I totally bought most of the characters and the romance, plus the visuals were terrific. It's a cheeseburger movie to me, but a very good cheeseburger. I don't go into a Jim Cameron movie expecting a 5-star filet mignon dinner.

18. Michael

yes, I love them as well...different strokes for different folks as they say.

19. Michael

I have no problems with Bay nor do I have with any of the other Jim movies...BUT AVATAR is just vile propaganda BullS&^t

DesertChaos likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You're taking it much too seriously. Clearly, average moviegoevers disagree with you, given that it's the most successful film ever made ($2.1 billion at last count) and actually got pretty good reviews (83% on RottenTomatoes, which I think is not bad at all). I think it's a movie with a lot of flaws, as shown by that "What's Wrong with Avatar" video above, but I admire the craftsmanship of the film. No question, some of the characters are paper-thin and there are many story aspects that are very cornball. I'd say the exact same things about Titanic, which shares similar elements of success, predictability, and technical quality.

21. Michael

OBVIOUSLY nearly EVERYONE disagrees with me on this...doesn't mean I should change my opinion...I stand firm.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    DesertChaos likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If Cameron thinks he's creating a Star Wars-like epic that will become part of popular culture .... think again. Avatar already felt like Ep. 1 The Phantom Menace to me.

Bryan and mikeyt like this.
  23. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

More than enough - I walked out before it ended. Yeah, I can appreciate the tech that went into making it and the visuals were a great 3D demo, I just can't stand the preachy parts...dialog and plot get so cringe-worthy and predictable.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

exactly and the agenda driven plot...I saw red not blue.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have a three-word answer: Two. Billion. Dollars.

They're talking a theme park on this thing. From a business standpoint, it actually could be a part of popular culture in that sense. I don't see it nearly as the epic that Star Wars was, but in the short term (next 15 years), they could wring a lot of money from Avatar with rides, toys, merchandising, and all that crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.