Maybe old news but had no idea there was going to be an avatar2, 3 and 4

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

And as that's just going to bounce back and forth, for the sake of the other members let's leave it there or take it to PM, Micheal & Vidiot.

Pong ain't a spectator sport.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Zoe Saldana's style secrets and what she knows about the "Avatar" sequel!
    May 9th 2014 1:25PM
    If the "Avatar" star, who shined at this week's Met Gala, has one pet peeve about style, or lack thereof, it's sweats on a plane. "I am a firm believer that when you fly, just make an effort. I can't see those sweatpants and that pillow! I mean, that might be the last flight. I am going down, literally, wearing the best that I can wear. I don't know if I got it from my mom, I don't know." An important PSA from one of Hollywood's most stylish ladies!
    It's been about 4 years since Saldana donned that famous blue face as Neytiri in the box office smash "Avatar." Fans have been impatiently awaiting her return to Pandora and she tells AOL.com things are gearing up for the sequel. "James Cameron is finishing up the scripts and as soon as he does that we'll be getting the call. I'm thinking it's going to be late this year that we're going to start going into production."
    The busy star who's also appeared in the "Star Trek" franchise is taking the time in between her film roles to take on the title role in the classic thriller "Rosemary's Baby." Despite the fact that the role involves giving birth to the Devil's baby, Saldana says the creepiness of the role dissipated the minute she stepped on to the set. "In theory, I did go into it going, 'Oh my God, am I going to be creeped out? No, as soon as you get there you're so distracted by tall the technicalities that come in to shooting a movie that it becomes like any other set." The mini-series promises a bit of a scare which Saldana admits, she enjoys. "I did realize that shooting horror movies is fun. If there's blood and stuff like that, you know it's fake, you've seen them do it when they're putting it on you. It's all sticky, it sticks to your hair, it tastes bad... So, all of a sudden you're caught up in these things and it removes that element of fear."

3. apileocole

[​IMG]

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well said. I bought into it more than that, and extended the story in my own imagination with some metaphysical elements that I won't bore you with.

It was a truly great movie-going experience for yours truly, although it has not measured up on reviewing, and the several times I've watched it on TV I have found that I lose interest after an hour or so. I just loved the concepts in the beginning, but it was weighed down by the confrontation, when I was more interested in the philosophy. To each their own.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

And did people ever notice that the music "The March of the Ewoks" was carbon copied Shostakovich and Prokofiev.

6. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

One should laugh! It is as if someone remembers that as a kid , their Mum insisted that they wear spotlessly clean underwear , whenever one was going out'. Cannot people still hear such an echo in their ears " What if something should happen....perhaps you are injured , maybe taken to hospital and your underwear then happens to became revealed...Where would you be?":rolleyes:

7. apileocole

Well, it was better than a sequence of them marching along to a sing-along of Yub Nub.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, Williams did point this out in interviews during the 1980s, but said it was "an homage." :rolleyes:

There are some really, really great soundtrack composers that steal music all over the place. James Horner is the worst, but even the greats like Bernard Herrmann and Ernst Korngold stole on occasion. As Malcolm Gladwell said: "good artists borrow, great artists steal."

You know, I was kind of impressed with the metaphysical idea that Sigourney Weaver's character has kind of been "absorbed" into the grand living alien tree on Pandora. And yet she's going to be in at least the next movie...!

I'd agree with you that the movie holds up best on the first viewing -- particularly in a big theater -- but the cornball elements get in the way when you watch it again. Nobody will get any argument from me that the writing and villains are the weakest part of the film. But the setting and the overall story is fairly powerful, and I think that drew a lot of people in, as did the romance.

I could swear it was "Zub-Zub."

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Oh man, that's just not right.

kevintomb likes this.
  10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Yeah. That has been done before in SciFi literature. The world/system entity absorbed the soul and characteristics of a being and is then able to resurrect that being into a physical body. I suppose that Weaver's character will be in the same form as the aliens; but it could be similar to the Star Wars "force" or any number of ways.

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Dam, how did I miss that!:love:

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

In terms of inflation adjusted dollars Avatar ranks #3 all-time behind Titanic and Gone with the Wind. Avatar didn't exactly fly out of the gate upon release as some would suggest, the movie had legs at the box office and I think it struck a chord with a lot of people in terms of the messages contained within the movie, some are timeless and well worn while others have a modern twist to them. For the life of me I can't understand how anyone would find the themes contained in the movie offensive, I guess with seven billion people on the planet there will be differences of opinion. It is the #2 most liked movie on Facebook with only the Harry Potter series getting more likes for what it's worth, a lot of heavyweight money is being invested into these sequels so they must have some insight into what Cameron has planned for them. I'll go see #2 in December 2016 and decide for myself, quite frankly I can't wait to see where they go with this.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was wrong -- Sigourney Weaver has reportedly been hired for all three sequels, so she's not just in the next movie!

Now, how she's gonna be walking around as a ghost, I dunno. Do you think she'll have her ever-present cigarette? Or will that burn in the alien atmostphere?

Metralla likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sigourney-weaver-teases-transformative-role-702771

"I can't talk about it, but my part is a little different in each one," the actress told New York Magazine's Vulture about the part she'll play in the future of Pandora following the supposed death of her character, Grace Augustine, in the 2009 feature. "I'll transform somewhat," she teased.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think she'll pop in every so often as an ethereal spirit and say, "use the force, Jake!"

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

does it bother you that people smoke in movies?

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaaa, not at all. But I would question if a scientist was going to smoke 200 years in the future, especially in a sealed-off room with oxygen being supplied, on a planet with a poisonous atmosphere. Did any of our Moon astronauts smoke on the way there or back?

18. Michael

OK, gotcha...seems so many do not like smoking in movies, but drinking alcohol in movies is OK...I do not know if they smoked.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't mind if they shoot up with heroin and kill babies as long as the movie is entertaining, I believe the story, and the actors are convincing.

showtaper likes this.
  20. Michael

I disagree on the Babies part, but that was put in for a reaction of which you achieved your goal...

21. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

THANK GOD THE TITANIC SANK!

22. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Astronauts smoke? I think NASA made an extra cigarette check before launches. So they probably didn't. I do know that fighter pilots have been known to smoke on longer missions (small cockpit with oxygen mask always close to mouth); crew chiefs have reported finding ashes after some flights. This was 40 years ago.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

See also: the fate of Apollo 1.

I just think Cameron threw in that thing about Sigourney Weaver's character smoking as an odd character trait. I tend to doubt any human from Earth would be smoking in 200 years, particularly on a planet several light years away. In fact, I don't think anybody would speak the kind of English we could easily understand that many years from now, either.

24. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I don't see it happening. I think Cameron's specialty is producing films that are gigantic hits when they come out and are past their sell-by-date a few years later because the storyline is paper-thin and the overlong movie could be recut to 90 minutes (now that would be a nice challenge: make a nice SciFi-action-movie of Avatar!).

mikeyt likes this.
  25. RightOff

RightOff Well-Known Member

Three more? I'd guess the settlement that Roger Dean has in the works right now is going to be fairly sizeable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.