McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Ooh, a geography lesson. I like geography :)

Great Britain is a geographical term: its the name of the island. The country that covers the island and part of the island next door (Ireland) is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Up until 1922, it was called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Prior to 1801 it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Before 1707 it comprised two separate nations: England and Scotland (Wales is, legally, a part of England although now the joint nation is usually referred in legalese as England and Wales).

So, a bit of history in there too :)

supermd, theMess, Calico and 3 others like this.
  2. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Quite concise. :)

theMess likes this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

And we thought Macca's releases were confusing!!!!!
    :D

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  4. So, therefore, Macca is English, British, and a citizen of the United Kingdom?

She is anyway likes this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Great lesson- but not for the faint-hearted:)

theMess, DmitriKaramazov and Paul H like this.
  6. Paul H

Indeed. As am I (despite not being born in England, Britain or the United Kingdom...)

We both are also citizens of Europe, The Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe :)

7. Paul H

Just wait for the deluxe and Collector's editions. I'm also working on an Archive Collection edition. That's coming soon actually...

8. She is anyway

Excellent, but could we just add another ellipsis after Universe, you know, just in case…? :)

9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

My own view, which seems to be shared here, is that the Grammies are pretty rotten: conservative and trying-to-be-hip in all the wrong ways. But, if we keep with the issues of merit here (I know, laughable in a Grammy context), the most useful way to think about the Grammies is to say "Here are four albums that one might reasonably put forward as the album of the year this year, as voted upon by the broad (and elderly) base of Grammy voters." It takes the pressure off the winner, which is farcical for all the obvious reasons, and it just observes that these four albums were broadly considered likable--maybe you would like one of them too, if you would investigate.

From this perspective, the value of the Grammies as an institution comes into view: if you are an established artist, your audience will be asking themselves whether old So-and-so is still making decent music. The Grammies can answer that affirmatively. If you are a younger artist, you will be striving for some kind of recognition as a "major contemporary artist": and a major award can give that benediction for a couple years. The claim is not that Album X is, objectively, the best album, but that, according to the musical values of some aggregate of listeners, this is a plausibly good album. In short, the Grammies are a potential weapon against the powerful forces of oblivion and irrelevancy in contemporary media awareness.

10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

And actually, the Milky Way is part of a galactic cluster called The Local Group, which is in turn part of a supercluster called the Virgo Supercluster, which ITSELF is just a small part of the Laniakea Supercluster which encompasses 100,000 galaxies spread out over 160 megaparsecs.......... which.......

:yikes:

supermd, theMess and She is anyway like this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Besides liking Struggle I must confess having a real soft spot for Mull of Kintyre. Guess those two songs represents two very different sides of Macca
    Remember when I bought the double a-sided single Girl school/Mull of Kintyre. Girl school was a nice/goofy rocker but Mull if Kintyre for me was an instant classic
    Besides the sentimentality and the bagpipes this is one giant of a song
    The lyrics are really poetic( partly Denny Laines work) the music is truly timeless. It sounds like the melody could have been composed anytime over the last 200 years . Mull of Kintyere is frequently mocked and ridicilued. Truth is - that it s one of very few songs that definies categories and has become a part of a broader cultural hertitage. In fact I think most songwriters dream is being able to come up with a song with the imoact if Mull of Kintye. A song that alwaya will be sung and played

theMess, foxylady and She is anyway like this.
  12. She is anyway

Ellipses…...:love:

13. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I had a feeling I might get a reply from you Sean. lol

I downloaded it from iTunes because I was going away the day of release and wanted to have it on my iPod to listen to while I was away in Italy. To be honest, I didn't really expect to like it as much as I did. And yeah, both regular and deluxe because I liked it and because of the covers.

I don't mind supporting my favourite artists but what is the point of all these versions? Do it once and do it right.
    He could have released all the music at once and then the DVD now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say I overpaid for a Cube too!

My problem is that artists flood the market with too many unnecessary versions of essentially the same thing. I don't mind being loyal, but don't take advantage of it.

14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Fair enough. :agree: I'm just sick enough to have purchased the regular version for the cover alone (it was SO cheap during release week), but I wasn't even slightly tempted by The Cube. I was able to resist the original Japanese CD, settling for an ill-gotten copy of "Struggle" until a sensible option popped up, and was pretty happy when the second Japanese set came out. I thought THAT one was worth the import prices (with the extra DVD), but now of course it's mostly redundant with this new Collector's Edition. Never got the vinyl (which I usually do pick up), but almost went for the hi-res at HD Tracks.

I still say that this might be better than the 1990s, when Paul would have released four CD singles from the album, each with two new tracks on it. A sane person could easily have been perfectly content with the normal deluxe version, and now would be able to consider the Collector's Edition -- two purchases, ALL the content. (Except for the lyric video for "New," now only to be found on the second Japanese set... :whistle:)

theMess likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Now, it sounds like you've been smoking Paul's favorite "tea". Arnie

16. She is anyway

Is that what he's asking for in "Honey Pie"?

theMess likes this.
  17. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Love "Struggle", don't care what anyone else says. Maybe I'll buy enough new copies of "NEW" to make a "NEW" room!

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

IMPOSSIBLE!

How can one possibly "overpay" for the most valuable collector's item in music history?!?

19. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I think I've finally decided I'm excited for the New, no.2, even though, embarrassingly, I too have a couple copies (Japan #1 and Target). I guess that makes me a hopeless Maccafan, but my rationale is simply that the extras do make for a nice package altogether. I also like the videos and have missed their availability on itunes.

theMess and BeatleStair like this.
  20. She is anyway

What a great idea. I'd love to have a RAM room. :)

(Might have to camouflage the smell, though…All those sheep.)

21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Better than the smell in the Venus & Mars room! :D

22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Heh-heh ... balls ... heh-heh...

theMess and BeatleStair like this.
  23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Helpful hint: Stay out of the room with the Twin Freaks...

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Wait a minute there. Not so fast. Those twins sound potentially interesting. Can you tell me more about them? ... ;) Arnie

25. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

You're not a hopeless Maccafan. Just read Lewisohn's Tune In and you'll snap right out of it. Worked for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.