McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

She is anyway likes this.
  2. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Paul H and theMess like this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It all sounds very exciting, but also confusing.

One good thing is that it seems like Paul is recording and/or releasing new music at a quick pace, and long may it continue.

She is anyway likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

FYI: Several websites, including this one, now list the upcoming New (and improved?) edition as a 3-disc set. The linked one states it's a 2cd/1dvd combo...

rstamberg, theMess and heatherly like this.
  5. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I'm in only if we get a few more outtakes from the sessions.

Captain Groovy and theMess like this.
  6. mrjinks

I can't believe we'll get much more studio stuff, tho I'd LOVE to be wrong.

Maybe it'll be New+videos (New, Queenie, Save Us, Appreciate, Early Days + the live cuts from the special Japanese edition) + ... a 1-disc "Out There" live highlights disc?

Throwing on a bunch of live Beatle cuts might convince those boomers in the aisles that they should pick up the set...

7. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

He did something similar for the Pink Edition of MAF so you could be right. I'll pass as I have nice rips of the videos and good quality of the NEW songs he's performed on TV and Japan.

But I await a track list before I write it off completely.

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I fully agree. If it has at least one new song amongst the live cuts, videos, etc, then I will buy it, but only if there is a new song.

I am having to be careful financially, what with the upcoming September splurge.

9. mrjinks

Ok, let's say it's just the standard (purple cover) New (no "Struggle"), no other "New" songs, plus the vids I mentioned.

Then let's say you get that "Out There" highlights live disc and it's got these 13 tunes:
    • Eight Days a Week
    • Save Us
    • Listen To What The Man Said
    • My Valentine
    • New
    • Queenie Eye
    • All Together Now
    • Lovely Rita
    • Everybody Out There
    • Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
    • Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da
    • Hi Hi Hi
    Off the top of my head, I don't think any of those tunes have appeared on Paul's post-Wings live discs, and they were all in regular rotation on the Out There tour. If you wanted to throw in rarities, you could choose On My Way To Work, Kansas City, Long Tall Sally (each done once, I think).

No more "new" songs, but would you be able to resist a package like that?

10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I must admit, that would be pretty irresistible, especially with the rarities that you mention. I would certainly want to own an album like that, I am just not sure where it would come in a competition with the Harrison Apple box and the reissues of V&M and Speed Of Sound, plus the September Beatles release.

11. mrjinks

For all the bitching about Paul's setlists, it sure would be nice to get a compilation that would feature some of the many songs that haven't made it to Tripping, Unplugged, Paul is Live, Back in the US/World or Good Evening NYC...

The above list is just "Out There" songs (and I forgot Jr's Farm!), but there's also a bunch of gems from the Chaos tour (I'll Get You, Please Please Me, Too Many People/Bathroom Window, I Will), plus stuff like Come and Get It, Letting Go, V&M/Rockshow, She's a Woman, The Word, and on and on and on.

Why can't those things make a live compilation?

12. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Yes- if I were doing a Paul Live Set-- I'd do a retrospective to include songs that have never been released -

But we still haven't seen a 1972-73 Wings Live set or a 1979-80 Wings live set- each of which (especially 72-73) need to come out.

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  13. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I kind of wish Paul would get on with it. None of us is getting any younger.

Give us Venus and Mars in Sept. then...
    Spring 2015 - Tug of War/Pipes of Peace
    Christmas 2015 - Red Rose Speedway/Wild Life
    Summer 2016 - Back To the Egg/London Town
    Fall 2016 - Press to Play 30 Year(!!!!?!!!!!!!??#*#@(*@(!??????!!!!!) set
    Spring 2017 - Flaming Pie 20 year set
    Christmas 2017 - Flowers in the Dirt
    Summer 2018 - OTG

14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

A live retrospective/anthology would be a great idea, especially if it was somewhat like Tom Petty's. It would be a great way to release his 1972, 79, and unreleased post 89 live performances.

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think Paul should do a live compilation like that every few years.

Resist it? I wholeheartedly encourage it! (but I want some outtakes more)

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It is annoying that even Ringo does a better job at releasing his live music than Paul, with every tour being released. I wish that Paul would do the same.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Speaking of which, Ringo is due to put out a live album with his current band. They've been together pretty long now, and are pretty good too. But that's not what this thread is about...

theMess likes this.
  18. mrjinks

:tsk: Don't encourage any more live cds from Ringo. :tsk:

I collect cds.

Let him do a dvd. I don't have the same compulsion with those.

19. mrjinks

The plot thickens. Deepdiscount.com lists this as
    "McCartney,Paul: New (W/Book) (W/DVD) (Coll)"

Book?

Also w/an 8/25 release. Odd that this is due a month prior to the new Archive sets and we've heard nothing about it. Or maybe that isn't that odd, come to think about it...

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

As bizarre as it would be for NEW to get the Archive Collection treatment a mere 10 months after its initial release, I'd buy it. At least for ONE of his albums we won't have to have a 10-year vigil for the deluxe book...

theMess, heatherly and Paul H like this.
  21. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

This showed up on AllMusic last week and I inquired if the Japanese edition contained a book but never got a definite answer. So it looks to be an all new packaging then. Would be a guaranteed purchase if it included some leftover songs or a mix or two.

theMess likes this.
  22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

There was an additional bookLET in the Japanese edition, for the additional Japanese language content, but definitely no "book" in the Archive Collection sense.

theMess likes this.
  23. mrjinks

Are you and @cb70 talking about the first or second Japanese version of New? I got #1, but not #2 (the "tour" edition) - was there no additional "printed" material with the latter?

Adding to my pessimism that we'll receive any "New" outtakes is the fact that there haven't been any new copyrights on the ASCAP site - I learned one of Chris' tricks in checking that periodically. A couple of the V&M outtakes (Message to Joe; Going to New Orleans) showed up recently copyrighted on that site in June and presto, come July they pop up on the tracklistings for September's release. However, there haven't been any other new titles that have popped up that would appear to be included on this (apparent) August release (though we've got an outside chance at Party Girl since that showed up on ASCAP last year)...

theMess likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am remaining hopeful that Party Girl will see release, because it was listed with ASCAP last year, as you pointed out. I would be really surprised if Paul expected everyone to buy yet another version, almost a year after release, with the only new addition being a book.

25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

This has to be the oddest marketing strategy ever. Don't buy it in October because what you'll get is incomplete, wait until the following August if you want it all.

Paul H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.