McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Once again Frank I totally agree. I have numerous times here said it s close to fraud not to make the choice between different editions on release day. It s common today and I think it s a sign. of desperation within a dying industry. And a big reason I m not even considering getting this new NEW edition

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I have to agree to. Let me decide on release day.

Of course, in 25-30 years, they will be releasing the Archive Super Deluxe "Coming Soon" set of NEW. But I won't mind as much after a few decades have passed.

Arnie

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Me neither-mainly because I probably will be six feet under by then.

4. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I missed the "Christmas" single, and ever since I've been dying to obtain a vinyl copy. But the prices are now insane.

5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I had no idea that single was rare, or valuable -- I got one for $5 when it came out, because it was cheap, and never gave it another thought. I guess I'd better find it now!

6. Arnold Grove

Okay then. I'll give you $6 for your trouble, and you can go back to never giving it another thought...

;) Arnie

7. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

im still waiting for my copy of new new not one store had ordered it in

8. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I downloaded "NEW" on iTunes when it came out, and listened to it non-stop for about three weeks. Loved it! Just this week, my wonderful daughter gave me a copy of "NEW" on vinyl! I've listened to it about 4 or 5 times through. My question for those who may know is this: Are the sonics different? I'm hearing things that I didn't hear on the iTunes download, and some things that were very "forward" on the iTunes seem to have been pushed back a bit on the vinyl release. To me, it sounds like two different masters were used. I thought I would add that I much prefer the sound of the vinyl on this one. Thoughts??

Dr. Pepper and theMess like this.
  9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It's a deal -- $6 for the single, with a $100 "location and processing" fee. Sound fair? :righton:

10. Arnold Grove

Sounds like Ticketmaster... ;)

Arnie

11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Can't comment on the iTunes mastering because I haven't heard it but the vinyl sounds similar to the unlimited hi-res mastering.

12. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Don't forget shipping.

Sean Murdock and theMess like this.
  13. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I like it the vinyl, too.

theMess likes this.
  14. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Yesterday I found myself humming a song. I had to stop and actually take a moment to decide what it was - it was Demons Dance. I agree mostly with Yorick on this one. Might've/could've/should've been a great one. But he took too many left and right turns with it - beginning at the 40 second mark. It's still a good track, but it was the right decision to leave both of these tracks off the album IMO.

I must say though that DD plays pretty darn good in my head!

Then today I listened to NEW for the first time in quite a while. Hey guys this is a very good album! :cool: I was not prepared for at my reaction. I felt some of the excitement I felt when I heard those first 5 "leaked" tracks. And even Early Days wasn't such a speed bump for me today.

Paul - we are all quite lucky that we still have him.

heatherly, theMess, supermd and 7 others like this.
  15. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Paul's albums have been getting better and better in the past 10-15 years, so hopefully there will be another one (with a new tour to promote it) in 2015.

16. groff

groff Forum Resident

I just listened to New all the way through several times on a long car trip. Here are the ones I skipped on repeat listens:
    Save Us
    Queenie Eye
    Everybody Out There
    The Road

Notice anything? Yeah, three of the ones I didn't need to hear more than once are three of the four (or five?) he's done live. I don't hate them, they're okay but to me they're the weakest on the album.

I love the rest. And there's plenty left - with the bonus tracks it's a really long album. And I can't believe he chose to do the ones above live over I Can Bet and It Turned Out. I think they would be fantastic live. And they're the kind of instantly accessible songs that people can really enjoy on first hearing - something important for new songs in a live setting.

I've also decided that Scared is one of the most beautiful songs he's written. The melody really gets into your head.

TheCatInSatinTrousers likes this.
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Only "Road" is worth skipping here, IMO. Love the other three songs.

Fleet Fox likes this.
  18. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

[wait for it...] I really like The Road--one of my faves on the album! :)

19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Well, I used to dislike both "Road" and "Appreciate"... but I have come to tolerate "Appreciate" a little (note I said "a little").

20. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Agreed. It's my wife's favorite song on the album. The only 2 I'm not crazy about are "Save Us" and "Everybody Out There". I still like them, just not my favorites and I've pretty much felt that way since the album came out.

theMess, Dr. Pepper, gswan and 2 others like this.
  21. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"Everybody Out There" is such a fun song, and with a wonderful chorus. How can anyone dislike it? Also, "Save Us" is a strong rocker.

22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I agree. Those two songs are the most generic of the bunch, IMO.

They don't give my hives like say.. "Freedom" does, but I think the older Paul gets his rockier songs like "Save Us" sound kind of contrived.. or something. It's hard for me to put my finger on it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Dr. Pepper and PhoffiFozz like this.
  23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

How can anyone like or dislike ANY song ? It's subjective so opinions will vary on EVERY song Paul (or anyone) has ever released.

heatherly, Dr. Pepper and PhoffiFozz like this.
  24. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of 'Everybody Out There' despite the good chorus, in fact its probably the one I skip the most when listening to NEW. It sounds so much like REM's 'Losing My Religion' and the ending which despite being anthemic and stadium rock-y is pretty meaningless 'I know what it's like' "what Paul? what what's like exactly?" I think there are much stronger tracks on the album.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Save Us" is one of my favorite tracks on the album!

heatherly, Fleet Fox and jeatleboe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.