McCartney Album "NEW" (2013) - (pt15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botley

botley Forum Resident

Almost. Two words: Mick Jagger.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No love for A$$ ?

theMess likes this.
  3. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

You guys are arguing about the first single but what about the second single. I like Queenie Eye but I don't think it's a good candidate for a single. It doesn't seem like the type of song that non-McCartney fans would necessarily be attracted to. Imho. I hate to admit it but I think I CAN BET or SAVE US would have been better single choices.

For the record, I think NEW was the correct choice as the first single.

Dr. Pepper and Bruce M. like this.
  4. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I certainly think sometimes quality over quantity would have been a good mantra for our hero though by the same token we have what he's chosen to give us, and I for one am grateful for that. This is his vision for his career/legacy, not mine. And time, whilst I would not go so far as to say is running out, is not on Paul's (or our) side.

kevintee likes this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Glenn, first off I'm really enjoying this discussion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with two people having different opinions, we can intelligently agree to disagree.

Those quotes are from all over the place, many different people. I found them consolidated on McCartney's official site. There's another site called Anydecentmusic.com that has consolidated many of the big magazine reviews for the album.

Digital-G, no one is arguing, we are just having a discussion.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  6. alexpop

With Cher doing her Dark Lady pole dance thang in the vid ... I Can Bet .. It would fly up the charts like a winged Pegasus . :)

7. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

If I understood earlier posts correctly, NEW the single, has jumped to number 19 on adult contemporary, at about this point, I would think it has to crossover and enter the hot 100, in the lower end of the hot 100. You cant be that popular 19 on AC and not crossover around this point, so bear with me

If my surmise is correct, then say he enters ot 100 at oh I dont know, say number 88, if he keeps picking up stations, he would advance on hot 100

Problem is, Queenie Eye gets big push tomorrow, I wonder if McCartneys team is good, or just smoke pot, eat free veggie food and cash his paychecks? It almost seems like his people could be, I hate to say, a bunch of sharpies, unemployed screenwriters, sychophants, and forgers, just out for a buck, EARN YOUR PAY THE ALBUM IS OUT NOW

Anyway, la de da, I Love this album time for a veggie lunch

I am rather miffed and hurt Sean Murdock has avoided this thread with the oh he's busy excuse, I Hope its not because of me, I was really looking forward to his take on the album, whats the true story without any BS on this

8. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

That's how you see it. Fair enough. All that matters to me is that I will still be listening to Paul's music when I'm an old man. Nothing else matters.

9. Dr. Dennis O'Dell

Dr. Dennis O'Dell Well-Known Member

OK - I truly love NEW. Was doubtful, but I must admit it ... this is as good as I've heard from Macca in decades!!! Whew ...

10. alexpop

Lordy mama .. another covert!

theMess likes this.
  11. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Completely irrelevant I know, but Chichester is a few miles up the road from me and I get a kick every time I hear Paul sing it :)

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

RE: the Valentine video. Yup, it is quite nice. But it wasn't issued until over two months after the album was released. The stars may have helped it with sales down the line, but I'm still puzzled by the 74,000 US copies that Kisses sold in week one.

I'm as big a McCartney fan as you get and I wasn't terribly excited with that album (and I even like old Sinatra/Nat King Cole albums!). No other "fans" that I know personally were the least bit interested and, aside from a vocal few on this board, I think many of us consider it a pretty minor/trivial release. So was it non-fans that bought it? People who like lesser-known standards? Who was the audience for that thing? I just figured it was hitting about 3/4 of your standard McCartney "base" audience, which seemed to make some logical sense.

I thought that's why it sold considerably less than Paul's (mostly) well-received "typical pop" albums like Flaming Pie, Chaos & MAF, which averaged 125k in 1st-week sales. Take into account the declining cd market, and I thought 100k seemed reasonable for New. But with it only selling 67,000 it makes me wonder who bought the last album, compared to who bought this one. Somewhere a whole helluva lot of people dropped out. And it seems like more than can be explained away by declining cd sales to me. YMMV tho!

theMess likes this.
  13. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Ed59, you may be right, but I got that info from the 25th edition of Band On The Run.

It's from one of the parts where McCartney is talking and it's what he himself said, no argument just wanted to let you know where I got that info.

Ed59 likes this.
  14. alexpop

Cool !

theMess likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That is correct.
    Plus "Helen Wheels" did well and made #10 on the Billboard singles chart (before the Band On The Run album came out). Then "Jet" was released as the first single off the album and made #7. And then finally the third single of "Band On The Run" made it to #1.

Arnie

theMess and fifth beatle99 like this.
  16. fifth beatle99

Yeah man its great very Beatles you know northern slang I had two buddies from Manchester, in LA in the late 70's and I'd say What an they'd say WOT? and I'd say what the heck did you just say>>? an they'd say " o its simple lad, we're just avin some beans on toast, give over now an tell us about the lass at that shoppin ground you were sayin a wee bit before you had that last bev? JEEZUS

theMess and alexpop like this.
  17. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

That is the best comment I've read here in quite some time. It's the way HE wants to do it. Let's just be happy with that and enjoy the 50 year journey he's taking us on.

beatle_giancarlo and Mazzy like this.
  18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Why on earth would you be miffed and hurt because Sean hasn't posted his thoughts regarding New in this thread ? It's not because of anything to do with you, I can assure you. He isn't required to post in this thread by any particular date. He HAS been busy and maybe he wants to pull together his thoughts and post them when he has the time to express his thoughts adequately.
    There is no big mystery to any of this. I took three weeks off from the thread before New was released and it was actually quite enjoyable.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Okay, I'll admit why Sean has been absent here: Sean is FERRANTE !! ;) Arnie

theMess, supermd and mrjinks like this.
  20. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Today I've bought the November edition of German Rolling Stone magazine.
    There is a glowing review of NEW titled "Old and new: A multi- colored masterwork by the pop genius."
    They give NEW 4.5 of 5 stars, which is normally reserved for Bob Dylan or hot new acts.

alexpop, theMess and Jayseph like this.
  21. fifth beatle99

No man I posted that to you privately, not for the board, that isint a board thing man, that may all be true it doesnt belong up here on the board man

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm intrigued: why are you so keen to hear from Sean? I mean, I love him too but really, what's the big deal? Don't you care about what I have to say??? *clutches head, runs round room, crashes into wall, collapses sobbing*

theMess and fifth beatle99 like this.
  23. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

You did post in here. Post #908.

BlueMeanie likes this.
  24. fifth beatle99

No man, because he is a big forum poster on these subjects for many years, we had some issues some arguments, I made up and apologized, I know this album is a big deal to him, and I felt guilty, I was hoping he wasn't avoiding this forum because he and I had some arguments, as I said I apologized made up as best I could, and I was just hoping it wasn;t because of any past issues.

Paul H likes this.
  25. fifth beatle99

I Love you too Paul! I Love hearing everybodys point of view on the NEW album, perhaps the last final Solo McCartney rock album in history!

Paul H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.