McCartney Archive Collection - Venus & Mars and Speed of Sound "Coming Soon"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

Might as well start a thread for this -- the countdown to release day starts ... NOW!

Questions to ponder:

1. Why only these two -- why not add more albums to the "Coming Soon" card?
    2. Is this "Coming Soon" card the final nail in the Archive Collection, or a sign of life?
    3. Will they release both of these at the same time, or separately, a year apart?
    4. If they pair them up, what other pairs could follow?

Discuss.

jricc likes this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

I hope they pair them up -- there are plenty of logical sets that could be released:

1. Wild Life / RRS
    2. London Town / Back To The Egg
    3. Tug Of War / Pipes of Peace

etc.

theMess, drivingfrog, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  3. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Great news! Thrilled to hear!!! Cannot wait!

4. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

And so it begins...again :D

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

"Speed Of Sound" was a childhood favorite of mine. "Venus and Mars" I'm still struggling with like I have "McCartney II" I am happy to see they are coming along.:)

6. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The latest "Coming Soon" card is a mix of both encouraging (the program continues beyond WOA!) and disappointing (nothing new beyond the original 6 from 2010) signs. I think it's quite clear from it that MPL/Concord does not want to commit to anything beyond these titles for now. With mixed sales reactions (rumored), maybe they just wanna take it one step at a time going forward.

I think we will see these titles released together as a pair in Spring 2014, very similar in form and price to the McCartney twins from 2011. I think we can also quite confidently predict that the remaining Cow Palace tracks (from the WoA reissue) will show up here along with associated singles and possible few rarities.

I do hope the reissues continue beyond these titles and at least cover the remaining 70's output before any drastic changes. I sure want Wild life and RRS to be given this book/hires treatment!

PhilBiker and Pendulous Threads like this.
  7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

These guys wouldn't know "soon" from "eternity". Ni modo---I suspect my DCC's can't be beat anyway.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Guess I should sell my copy of V&M before the price deflates.

9. crossroads69

Seems unlikely, but it would be great if MPL remasters the uncompressed mix of Venus & Mars and offers it as a bonus.

10. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

No idea what might be included in a deluxe Speed of Sound. But I can't wait, since it was my first Beatles-related album--and one of my first-ever albums.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I really hope that Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway will be included in this reissue program before it comes to a halt.

12. crossroads69

With so much focus on V&M and ATSOS material on the latest WoA set, I was really hoping that they revert back to the early period records (WL and RRS) for the next set of reissues to freshen up the fan palate.

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I can't believe you started this one up already. You couldn't even wait to hear the 8 bonus Cow Palace tracks, and you're already on to the next batch. We really do need help!!
    Before I start thinking about Venus & Mars and Speed of Sound, it would make sense to release Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway (theme: the start of Wings) at the same time; and then to follow those up with London Town and Back To The Egg (theme: the end of Wings). In particular, the period covered by Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway has a slew of non-LP A- and B-sides (Live & Let Die, Hi Hi Hi, Give Ireland Back, C Moon, Mary Had A Little Lamb, to name a few), as well as loads of unreleased stuff (all of the extras from the unreleased double LP version of Red Rose Speedway), so those albums really need to be covered thoroughly.
    I'll get back with further thoughts on Venus & Mars and Speed of Sound.
    Arnie

Batears52 likes this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I would really be fine if they just reissued the albums quickly with the new mastering and appropriate singles tracks, a la the previous Paul McCartney collection discs but done more sensibly. The new bonus scraps they've come up with for these have almost all been worthless, and I'm not interested in the deluxe book versions.

15. 905

905 Senior Member

Nice news to hear... Venus & Mars is probably my favorite Wings album.

3rd Uncle Bob and jeffrey walsh like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Possible Bonus Material for Venus & Mars:
    Junior's Farm and Sally G are definitely to be included (both recorded Nashville 1974).
    Some of the alternate live versions of V&M songs from the Cow Palace (from 1976)---BUT probably not all of the alternates as this would make the bonus CD too long (Paul only averages about 8 bonus tracks for these bonus CD's).
    My Carnival --- recorded New Orleans 1975; released as B-side to Spies Like Us in 1985; there is also a 12-inch party version of this.
    The 45 (promo?) mix of Letting Go.
    Possible: Walking In the Park with Eloise / Bridge Over The River Suite (also recorded Nashville 1974 as The Country Hams)---These were previously released as bonus tracks on the old CD of Speed of Sound, but they probably belong with Sally G.

Question: What about Rudolph The Red Nosed Reggae? This didn't appear along with Wonderful Christmastime on the Macca II Deluxe set; and some say it was recorded in 1974 or 1975 or 1976 (I don't know). Any thoughts on this?

Arnie

17. Cool. For me Speed is my least favorite of his 70s records. I would be all over Red Rose and Wild Life first. Oh well

dbacon, gmitchel, Piiijiii and 2 others like this.
  18. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Thanks for starting the new thread, Sean. Should be a good opportunity for discussion and interaction.

Let's hope that we have something tangible to talk about by, say, Christmas.

19. Ten demos and versions of Cook of the House and Wino Junko.

JulesDassin likes this.
  20. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Don't forget Lunch Box/Odd Sox. I believe that was recorded during the Venus And Mars sessions.

21. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

"Wino Junko"--I like it a lot (always have). "Cook of the House"...umm...uhhh...showed Linda worked best in a supporting role.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup! Though I really hope they get through ALL the albums, as unrealistic as that now sounds.

My vaguely realistic hope:

"Speed of Sound"/"V&M" fall 2013 (though more likely to be spring 2014)
    "RRS"/"WL" spring 2014 (though more likely to be spring 2015, if ever)
    "London Town"/"Back to the Egg" fall 2014 (though more likely to be spring 2016, if ever)
    "Tug of War"/"Pipes of Peace" spring 2015 (though more likely to be spring 2017, if ever)

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Would Paul be so kind as to include his vocal version of "Must Do Something About" on the "SOS" re-issue? Something has to go with the 4 (presumed) Cow Palace tracks.

theMess likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Yep, that should be included as a bonus with the Venus & Mars set. Good memory. Arnie

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Quick question: what is the official title of Speed of Sound? Is it Wings at the Speed of Sound or At the Speed of Sound? In Rockshow, Paul says that the next song is from At the Speed of Sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.