McCartney Archive Collection - Venus & Mars and Speed of Sound "Coming Soon"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You are correct, it was re-recorded especially for this appearance.

2. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Well stated, supermd, and others along this line. Based on the feedback here, it looks like I'm wr..., wr..., wr... ... not quite right, in my assessment that McCartney has not particularly promoted the archival releases. :agree: I appreciate everybody's input on the topic.

I'll stick with my viewpoint just the same that it would be nice if those with whom he does speak would ask some insightful, informed questions about the reissues, his goals for them, and what his future plans are. We've all raised a lot of good questions here over time, often ones that not only hard-core fans would think up. Given how often we speculate and wonder about the topic here, it seems that more, rather than less, information would be a beneficial thing for all involved.

Digital-G likes this.
  3. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Of course, it needed that 80's feel added to it!

Here's a great little interview about the Ram reissue that I enjoy, straight from the horses mouth (and one of the few times he has directly referenced the archive campaign.)

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I highly doubt it, but might this recording appear on the V&M reissue?

theMess likes this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I personally think that sales and making money is not Pauls main goal with the archive collection. The goal is to save the legacy for eternity. Being a longtime collector of boxed sets I must say it s a sucess. WoA, Ram and McCartney 2 belongs to the most beatyfullmade boxed sets I own. If the series continues with this quality we are really if for continuing treats. If only the phase could be a bit faster.

6. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Yep, he also re-recorded "Jet" for these TV appearances as well.

PhoffiFozz and theMess like this.
  7. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Well, I've never stated the main goal of the archive reissues was to generate cash. But its pretty easy to say that the albums that sold the most, at least generally speaking, are/were the most popular ones. And I don't think its coincidence that the reissues released so far just happen to be the biggest sellers of his catalog.

For the record I really don't mind if these are being released based upon initial sales numbers or if Paul just happens to favor them. Just as long as they get released. I thought the book versions were very nice and I couldn't recommend them enough on here. Of course RAM is just awesome. I actually haven't sprung for the Wings Over America box set yet but its on my "ones to get" list.

Update: Talking about the Deluxe issue of Wings Over America prompted me to check Amazon to see what it's going for. Amazon is having a warehouse clearance and I was able to buy a used, like new copy for $47!!! Woo-hoo. Granted the packaging may be damaged but as long as it's not severe I'll be happy. That just made my day!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    JDeanB likes this.
  8. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I agree with much of this. I myself don't see Paul's motivation as primarily financial--I think he has other motivations driving his recordings these days and I think he has his tours and MPL to generate cash for Beatrice's future.

All that said, and even if all this is true, these releases are not simply generated by Paul: he has business deals with publishers, manufacturers, distributors, and vendors, as well as copy-editors, layout designers, sound engineers, writers, handlers, promotional people, and more (lawyers, accountants, nannies, drivers, housekeepers...). And all these people will want to be paid (note to Paul's people: I will do writing and copy-editing for free!!). If the Archive Project fails to break even, I expect we'll start to see a change of strategy with the series. Would Paul underwrite its losses (supposing they may eventually happen)? I can't say, of course, but I wouldn't place any bets. In short, I think Paul isn't motivated here by dreams of a cash cow, but he must know that breaking even (or better) is the basic condition of possibility for the series, whatever else his motivations may be.

Alternatively, one might guess that Paul is just assembling an attractive presentation of his life, year by year, and since he's doing it for himself and since there's a market for it, he may as well sell these yearbooks to the rest of us for as long as we are interested.

9. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I got the Deluxe Wings Over America box over Christmas. In terms of packaging it's amazing , even surpasses Ram.

JDeanB and theMess like this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

My goodness, the miming is so awful! It sounds great though.

AndyNicks and theMess like this.
  11. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

That's a heck of a deal, Digital-G -- well done. You will be very impressed with the presentation of the WOA deluxe edition and how thoroughly and thoughtfully it was put together. And the music in it, ahem, ain't exactly shabby either. But you know that.

Since you are in Dayton, go get some Skyline Chili to celebrate. And, go Flyers!

Digital-G and jpmosu like this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Agreed, except for the screwed-up layout of the book!!

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

Let it go, man! :winkgrin:

Digital-G likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I dunno about you, but I'm pretty sure Macca could never earn another penny and his daughter would be okay financially... :)

JimC and supermd like this.
  15. I want t meet and tell McCartney " hey, my favorite record is Wild Life, and it would be nice for you to revisit it."

theMess likes this.
  16. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Ugh. The thought of Wix and his cheesy synth horns makes me cringe!

RAJ717, Rob Hughes and Mazzy like this.
  17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Hopefully other fans could then meet him and say the same thing about Off The Ground, Driving Rain, Press To Play, Pipes of Peace, etc, so that all of the albums get proper treatment.

18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I get what you are saying, but I don't think that Listen To What The Man said suffered due to lack of synths, so Take It Away could work.

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He's down to his last billion ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.