McCartney Concert Sells Out In 4 Minutes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuestionMark?, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

this all reminds me of the final night of the Springsteen Wrecking Ball tour at the same venue.

Interesting market that the border is such a divider as the Toronto show is really "just up the road" a piece...

linclink likes this.
  2. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

As recently as this past summer, the Grateful Dead did the same exact thing for their Chicago farewell shows, but only with the amount they were allotted. And that's the issue, really. With the exception of a very small minority of artists and shows, the artist is only allotted so much to sell on their own. And Paul takes his allotment and does it through the pre-sale on his site (which, IMO, is one of the best in the game). And then the venue is obligated to sell their tickets through Ticketmaster/Livenation, or one of the smaller outfits. It's really too much of a headache for the artist to do otherwise, if they can at all.

But even with the mail-in order, a good scalper would figure out which shows to bet on as being high demand, and mail in several money orders with SASEs going to friends' houses and such.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It didn't really sell out in 4 minutes. Most of the seats were gone before sale to general public. Why feel sorry for somebody who has a nice iPhone but not an American Express card?

4. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I don't know about an outdoor show in Buffalo in late October. :D

All good advice. I doubt a second show will be added for any of these fall dates, but almost 100% of the time, the worst time to turn to the secondary market is right after the sell out. More often than not, there will either be a steady decline towards showtime, or at least a dip in prices before starting to increase a few days before. And also checking Ticketmaster every now and then leading up to the show. Tickets do become available.

5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

But the people who can afford these high ticket prices aren't the people who can camp out for a night or two. Besides, someone would be injured or killed...

Word is they get 25k a night. Not Macca money, but a nice gig for a working musician.

ARK, linclink and heatherly like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ah for the love of Beatles nostalgia...Paulie is riding high! congrats!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I could not even imagine pay those high prices..I would forever have a guilt trip of money wasted no matter how great the act was...

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Penn State show has tickets for $26 before service fees! Maybe that's a concession to the students, though I don't remember if he sold similarly cheap seats to the Charlottesville show in June...

JoeRockhead likes this.
  9. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I got to see Paul free in Atlanta in 76 or whatever. Free Learjet ride there too and rooms/food. Full access to the Omni during setup where I got to talk to..... well... a minimoog under the stage.

As to tickets now, isn't Paul on a continuous tour? That should put him at Disneyland or Knotts around 2080 for reasonable access. Just hold on a bit.

10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Rolling Stones did the same SASE thing, Tattoo You tour 1981

forthlin likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

The Jacksons abandoned that method before too long. When they played DC, tickets went onsale at actual outlets.

The only difference was that they were only sold at three locations, IIRC: RFK Stadium (where the shows would occur), the Cap Centre, and... I can't remember. But I think there were three in-person locations, and I don't think they did any phone charge.

Also not consistent. When the Stones played DC in December 1981, tickets went on sale at the Cap Centre box office at 1 or 2 AM on a Saturday night/Sunday morning.

No advance notice - just told radio stations, put them on sale and that was that!

forthlin likes this.
  12. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

The whole arena will most likely be Hoffman Forum members. No one else was allowed to purchase tickets.

ARK likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I paid about this much, for a little worse than "so-so". But fine with me of course. Actually, when I saw him in 2010 I only paid $65 (plus fees). Much more reasonable than most nowadays.

14. Wow that disappoints me that he would do that but it's not the first time that Paul has affiliated himself with a corporation and, sadly, pimped himself,out for this type of stuff. This is the stuff about Paul that I really dislike. He's got enough money.

15. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Can you find concerts that DON'T have a presale affiliated with a credit card company? That seems more the rule rather than the exception. McCartney may not even know about it.

ConnieGuitar and longaway like this.
  16. Oatsdad

I don't recall Springsteen shows being affiliated with CC companies - or Pearl Jam shows, either.

They are pretty much the rule, though. I have an Amex and a Citi card solely for presales...

wayneklein and PHILLYQ like this.
  17. That's what I paid and we were really far away at the Berkeley stadium. It was very disappointing to be so far away. That's when I decided to largely give up stadium shows. I figured that I might as well watch it on DVD.

18. Sure. Most smaller shows. Van Morrison, Lyle Lovett, Elvis Costello and The Attractions (and Imposters), Springsteen, Neil Young , The a police reunion show didn't as I recall, Roxy Music, Bowie (at least when I last saw him back in 84 or so). For some it's pure economics and they Can NOT afford it. How can McCartney NOT know about it? He did it before with one CC company and even appeared in some of their commercials. Paul does what his business advisors suggest but he makes the decisions.

My point is that Paul and his promoters have more than enough money to choose not to do this.

19. It seems like a lot of entertainment is increasing out of the reach of the average person.

Mike Bass likes this.
  20. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Didn't some paper just declare the Beatles "irrelevant"?

jeatleboe likes this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Another memory flaw - he didn't dust off Penny Lane until the '93 tour...

Boris number 9 and heatherly like this.
  22. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

That will never happen and it is obvious to me that the sold out tickets in minutes is a perfect example of that.

-Richard

Mike Bass, AppleCorp3 and jeatleboe like this.
  23. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

The Stones NJ shows (3 nights i think) in the fall of 1981 November I think, were by SASE.

24. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with scalpers, American Express, Ticketmaster or anything else. It's a rigged system, and you voluntarily participate. I just go to smaller shows, and if there is a really big show I want to see, I scalp tickets the day of the show and drop some cash.

25. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Each?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.