McCartney Concert Sells Out In 4 Minutes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuestionMark?, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Not only is rocks most well known bass player selling out venues in record times, he is causing languages to be invented.

Boris number 9 and jmpatrick like this.
  2. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

So, how many tickets were actually sold, and how many were skimmed off the top by scalper sites like Getmein, Stubhub et al?

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Well, this is just another ingredient in the large stew of world decline... you can't even get tickets for a show anymore, and if you do they're astronomically expensive. Thankfully, there aren't many artists I care to see in concert anymore, so I'm rarely affected - and not for much longer.

But anyway, the reality sometimes is you just have to get the Macca tix off Ebay these days. I had to go that route myself when Paul played the garden in 2005.

4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Yes. It's a great gig but it is a lot of work. Long shows, soundchecks, lots of travel--and these guys aren't staying down the hall from Paul at the Ritz Carlton. Plus you gotta sneak off-site for a burger or a steak.

heatherly likes this.
  5. forthlin

Damned if that's not some irony: A newspaper calling something irrelevant.

6. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

For 25 grand a night I'd stay underneath a freeway underpass.

agundy, Boris number 9 and forthlin like this.
  7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

So? The Beatles had their day and it's not like they're creating any new music to reflect the current times.

ARK and heatherly like this.
  11. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Thank God!

Boris number 9 and Pizza like this.
  12. Just you wait until They load the brainwaves of each Beatle into a computer and use it to create new Beatles music that reflects the current times.

Boris number 9 and Pizza like this.
  13. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I think they meant cumulative impact not current impact.

Regardless, I'm just stating what the article said, not offering an opinion either way.

Pizza likes this.
  14. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Got that right!
    Hadn't looked at Paul's schedule or the number of shows he's doing but that's a lot of money for a "supporting" musician.
    For example: $25K x 100 shows = $2.5MIL.
    Not bad at all.

ARK, Boris number 9 and Zeki like this.
  15. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Uhh...wot?

16. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

What? He pays them that much! Brian Wilson's guys by contrast just for perspective have day jobs.

17. forthlin

Well now you've got me thinking I may have mis-remembered the amount. I'll see if I can confirm that. Thing is, you perform at the pleasure of Sir Paul. If he decides he wants to play a one-off or a tour, you go. If he decides he's going on hiatus for months, or a year, you're services aren't required till further notice. While I don't know this first-hand, I suspect that the first time you tell Paul you're not available is also the last time.

Boris number 9 and JDeanB like this.
  18. Boris number 9

Yeah I agree. Seriously some of Brian Wilson's guys have day jobs cause they make only a pittance. There are people here that can get specific.

I'll give you an example. A buddy of mine is in Lucinda Williams band & I reckon he gets maybe 30-40 grand a year plus probably session fees for the albums. He probably picks up another 20 doing side work.

Granted Lucinda isint McCartney he is top of the heap. But it gives you an idea what people are making. Wilson's guys make less I hear... So my guess my gut maybe the guys are making 150k for McCartney. He probably buys them gifts gives bonuses. But the money for back up guys isint what you might think those days are gone.

forthlin likes this.
  19. forthlin

I'm sure you're right, I'm trying to reconfirm that 25k number. While I know that sounds astronomical, the McCartney shows are throwing off tons of dough. 100K a night to pay Wix, Abe, Rusty & Brian would be a fraction of what merch pulls in on a nightly basis.

Boris number 9 likes this.
  20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Would love to go but can't afford it. Maybe my wife will score some tickets.

21. Boris number 9

That previous band with Hamish Stewart those guys were funky but not really beatley. These current guys are unbelievable they are so good. I'm sure M Cartney is aware of their talent and pays them well. But no you get uber rich as a back up band. But McCartney must be cognizant of how well they play & HOW GOOD the back up vocals are. They sound like the records incredible. 73 the New 50!

forthlin likes this.
  22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This whole controversy is just silly. This if far from the only huge name act to play at First Niagara Arena. So what if some people couldn't get tickets? Others have experienced the same problem and not gotten all that media sympathy.

Then the comments in this thread are even more ridiculous - complaining about McCartney ticket prices. Like it's soooo much more expensive in Buffalo than anywhere else? Get a grip. It's not $12 anymore for top acts, like it 35 years ago.

23. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I remember the good old days when ticket scalping was illegal.

24. Boris number 9

Well some people really want to see him play but can't afford it. I have sympathy for that. I would say he seems to be cognizant & keep it fair. But lets face it concerts and ballgames are getting out of middle class reach I mean come on.

25. Boris number 9

Yeah you're right I know. God it was 26 years ago. He opened I think with Rough Ride I think went into Got To get you into. And he just did all these Beatle classics that hadn't' been done until then. And we were agog. Our mouths just hanging open his voice opened up about the third or fourth number. John Lennon said he 'was' king Beatle.... So I guess Paul is Prince Beatle.... It was incredible. He oozes talent. Plays writes sings Incredible. And get this I'm a Lennon fan and Harrison.

I saw Ringo also and he was great! That really surprised me. His sense on the drums. I'm telling you these guys were once in a lifetime providence of God or something. There is no logical explanation. Lennon once said " we were just a band that hit it very very big that's all" well maybe but somehow it's Like cosmic. He's worth the ticket price. I don't even understand why he does it. He's a freak in billionaire why bother? He loves it!

JDeanB and forthlin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.