New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Am I the only one interpreting Kurstin as being critical of McCartney's new songs? It sounds like he's amazed that Paul is intent on committing career suicide?
    OK. just thought I'd ask.
    *getting my coat*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    RoryMcBride, Hep Alien and blutiga like this.
  2. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Uh... no. Not at all.

anthontherun and FKA002 like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It beats me how anyone can interpret what you do in the quote from Kustin. Besides-given Paul's age and legacy a "career suicide"is impossible. Guess even a weak or strange career could not destroy Paul's career.

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

'topping himself' is a euphemism for 'suicide' :)

Bemagnus likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And 'suicide' is a euphemism for:

;)

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Wasn't t that the song he offered Frank Sinatra who not surprisingly didn't t record it. Maybe ol blue eyes didn't t want to commit a career-suicide.
    ;)

PaperbackBroadstreet and Eska68 like this.
  7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I've always liked Suicide.

Wish McCartney had officially done it.

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Would have been a career-suicide:p

9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I interpret his comment as classic trolling

ohnothimagen and kevintee like this.
  10. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

This.

11. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I've always liked Paul's "Suicide" as well. It would have been a perfect bonus track on the 'Kisses On The Bottom' album of standards. Maybe he'll "revive" it for the upcoming album???

12. Arnold Grove

What upcoming album? ;)

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Lol!!!

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'd say options are pretty slim, but it is interesting that Paul talked in some semi-recent interview about "finishing up old songs". Since then we've seen the Kanye song with his ancient Rupert thing (I think? Perhaps I misremember). We've seen the re-recording of Come And Get It (coincidence?) and we've seen a couple numbers allegedly conjured up from an unreleased track ("Kiss Me Now").

Maybe there's some truth to that interview comment after all?

EDIT: A couple related links to the above, which I don't think were in this thread previously:
    October 2013: Paul McCartney: No more ticket to write :
    July 2016: Singing with Gaga, a new box and jelly bean memories: Paul McCartney returns :

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  15. He did, on McCartney. Granted, it was just a snippet and I wasn't indicated on the record label.

Yorick likes this.
  16. Where is the re-recording of Come and Get It and what are the Kids Me Now numbers?

17. I think it's a good song. Catchy as all get out. Perhaps it was too much stinging satire for Frank.

18. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

He could be referring to the one-off by Paul, Joe Perry (of Aerosmith) and Johnny Depp (and maybe even Alice Cooper). Are they the Hollywood Vampires? They did an impromptu version of CAGI that went viral a few years ago.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Kiss Me Now (unreleased) supposedly formed both "Hope For The Future" and "In The Blink Of An Eye", according to a couple people on this board.

20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

It wasn't impromptu. It was for an album meant as a tribute to dead people and was well planned..
    ==
    "A few years ago, McCartney briefly revived the song onstage with his band, but he's rarely sung or played it since 1969. But according to Perry, little prep was necessary for the Vampires session. Showing up at the studio with his regular drummer, Abe Laboriel Jr., McCartney had not only already picked out the song — a tribute to Badfinger members Pete Ham and Tom Evans, who each committed suicide — but was ready to go. "I was joking with him and said, 'You probably wrote this in 20 minutes,'" says Perry, who had met but never worked with McCartney before. "And he said, 'Actually, I was in bed sleeping and I knew they needed a song for this band we signed, and I went downstairs and played it on the piano and then went to Abbey Road an hour before the rest of the [Beatles], played all the instruments, made the demo and gave [Badfinger, then called the Iveys] the song.'"

As Perry and the others watched, McCartney effortlessly revived his 46-year-old tune. "He knew all the chords, the lyrics, everything," Perry says. "He didn't have any cheat sheets. It was like he'd been playing it his whole life. Me and Alice and Johnny were standing there and looking at each other and I tell you — if there's any ego-lever in a room, it's Paul. It doesn't matter who you are or what you've done. If Paul's in the room, he's there. It was hard to focus on playing." Cooper and McCartney wound up sharing the lead vocals on the song, Perry says."
    ==
    Of course, this isn't on the "upcoming new album" and this thread is exclusively about the "upcoming new album," so I should say no more and no one should probably even read this post.

21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

One person.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

But with a split personality ... ;)

23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I thought it was one as well who had the whole write up on blink of an eye

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  24. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Not taking anything away from Paul, but remembering the words to that song is no great feat. :)

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Oh yeah, I skim the heck out of threads like these. 3 pages go by in less than 2 minutes.

Sean Murdock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.