New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

That could potentially be true, but it didn't stop him from making other albums that were arguably paint-by-numbers, such as Off the Ground and Driving Rain.

ohnothimagen and Mr. Explorer like this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I also think there's something to the idea that sometimes your creative juices can be rekindled by going through old stuff. Sometimes, like in the case of the last Van Halen, it seemed like more of the well having run dry and needing ideas, but I could see someone like McCartney doing it, and having it sort of trigger a feeling of "oh yeah, this is how I used to do do it."

As an aside, I'm sure there's a few gems locked away in the vaults, and perhaps Paul is going through and preparing them for possible release himself, instead of having someone else do it years later after he's no longer with us.

3. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I don't think he was referring to stuff locked in the vaults.

I think what he mentioned in interviews was that he intended to finish bits and pieces that he had written over the years and hopefully turn some of these into full songs. This, by the way, is part of the creative songwriting process.

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I keep waiting for him to finish "The Lovely Linda." He said he would back in 1970, and I believe him. These kind of things just take time. :p

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"Coming soon" ... ;)

6. Glenn Christense

I emailed Paul and he apologized profusely to me for not finishing "The Lovely Linda" but he's been SO busy working 24/7 on his archive releases, (which have been getting released with amazing speed) that he just hasn't found the time to finish the song.

He did promise me that he will have "The Lovely Linda " completed and released during the same month that Mark Lewisohn releases Volume 3 of his Beatles biography series!

He also made a special point to have me thank his fans here who believe his voice is shot and that he can't write decent songs anymore.
    He said he takes these criticisms very seriously and he's very sorry for his last few records and all his duff live vocal performances that the millions of his concert goers have all hated since 1989.

So, his new album songs will all be old standards, with no originals to disappoint his fans here.

And in a delightful development, Abe will be taking over all lead vocals! :D ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. Frank

Frank Senior Member

So, it'll be a concert album from the current tour, then?:D

8. Arnold Grove

Are you the President's new press secretary?

9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm not concerned about the time-line, although making a point to give something away with a ticket and that thing being something you're not imminently releasing because it's not a part of your schedule or priorities and may interfere with your "me time" seems like an odd thing to do.

10. Glenn Christense

Yes, but that's the next release .. Mercifully, all of Paul's vocals have been mixed out.

They are kicking around album titles at this point.

Two under consideration: Tripping the Live Mediocre and Abe Is Live.

11. Glenn Christense

Sure.
    I have no idea why the new album was supposedly going to be given away at Paul's concerts of course.

I wonder if anyone that bought a concert ticket complained about not getting the release?

Mr. Explorer and Frank like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

No politics, you thread assassin ! :D

13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm looking forward to the next tour, when Abe is also too old to sing and they have to add a third shadow lead vocalist!

14. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

I've just tuned into this thread for the first time in a while. So, just to catch up, is there a new album?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I hear they're re-releasing "Coming Up" as a single using the original video, but Abe has been pasted over all of Paul's characters instead. ;)

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I wonder if those two soundtrack songs are songs Paul doesn't really care about. He finished "A Love for You" instead of writing a new song for The In-Laws. I think his main albums are a different thing.

Having said that, he clearly likes "Hope for the Future" and included it in his live sets and Pure McCartney (or was that Nancy in New York's idea?) ;)

17. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I think every album at least since Chaos & Creation, if not before, has received a lot of care, attention, thought & creativity In the studio. Also in the songwriters chair at
    The piano & or holding the guitar.

Mccartney is certainly aware of his age & because of time winding down or a wish to leave a great legacy or whatever makes McCartney tick. Against all expectations I think McCartney has worked exceptionally hard & mustered all the inspiration in him since Chaos. Every studio album of original material has been superb.
    1. Chaos & Creation
    2. Memory Almost Full
    3. Electric Arguments
    4. New
    5. ????

Assuming the next one is on par with the first 4, it's about the most impressive run of rock-pop albums for a man in his 60s-70s that I can think of, or have ever heard of.

I didn't include Kisses on the bottom because 90% was covers. I don't really care for it either. But I love the Want to come home single. It's tantalizing there is an entire album of that stuff on the shelf. I wonder if a few of those show up on the album. Much like MAF showed up with songs done before Chaos.

18. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

He thought “Hope” would be a hit

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

There's the astute business man at work again. Put the good stuff on the record that will sell hundreds and give the movie and video game the leftovers for millions to hear.:laugh:

supermd and Glenn Christense like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

All we are saying is give "Hope" a chance ... ;)

21. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Van Halen? Give me a break. Garbage

22. bward

bward Senior Member

Paul also has that entire unreleased Christmas album up his sleeve.
    And, in a fairly recent (Rolling Stone?) interview he talked about his fascination with the signs of the zodiac. I got the impression, he might be getting some song writing inspiration.
    If that's the case, the bits and pieces are likely to be left on the side, to make room for new material.
    Remember the piano tape? He ALWAYS has bits and pieces lying around.
    Amazing songwriter.

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

This thread has sort of been goin on forever. It s based on a few articles and tons of rumours. Now we reached the point werevsone even put forward theories on why the new album is "delayed".
    There is not one single official announcement
    concerning this album. Paul and some close to him have mentioned it to be in the work,producer Greg Kurstin has enthustatically mentioned workin with Paul. Also one of the "insiders"here has hinted about things he )is not permitted to mention, apparently there were also some talk about givin away an album for concertattenders.

So the discussion now is imo very much based on -well a "nothingburger" maybe.
    :)

Mr. Explorer and Rob Hughes like this.
  24. A nothingburger sounds very Zen. Is that what's served in Nirvana?

Mr. Explorer and Bemagnus like this.
  25. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

GASP!!! YOU SAID THE FORBIDDEN NAME HOW COULD YOU?!

*Thor-esque voice*

edenofflowers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.