New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^I had to look up who Yoshiki is. Interesting musical stuff.

And most notably for a Paul thread, Yoshiki did an orchestral album in 1993 called Eternal Melody produced by none other than George Martin.

theMess, JDeanB, MerseyBeatle and 3 others like this.
  2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

It seems Yoshiki owns a studio in Los Angeles, so perhaps Paul is mixing the new album there?

3. 5th-beatle

I had never heard of Yoshiki, so here's some info about his Larabee Studios: it includes "an enormous amount of vintage electronic gear, which is mounted on the walls, stacked up on landings and displayed as art in the studios.

It turns out that Yoshiki is a devoted collector who has focused on assembling a massive trove of famous keyboards and rack mount gear that was used by superstars of yore: Frank Zappa’s giant Moog synthesizer, the modular synth used to record Dark Side of the Moon, the first Wave Table keyboard sampler and rows of hugely complex analog rigs used on hit albums that are no longer in circulation but from a vintage standpoint, all nearly priceless.

The hallways are lined with eye-level synth modules-as-art, all lit up and wired to the interior studios. The control rooms bulge with some of the largest SSL mixing consoles extant, including a 104-input model in Studio B – recording a massive Bosendorfer 10-foot grand which sits in front of one of Yoshiki’s custom Kawai plexiglass touring pianos next to a huge set of drums".

Yoshiki, Founder of X Japan, Opens Amazing Studio to Introduce New Doc

4. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie Forum Resident

Very interesting, thank you!

theMess and 5th-beatle like this.
  5. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Maybe Paul just wanted some VIP tickets for Coachella?
    "Fans were also treated to a performane from Marilyn Manson, who took to the stage with Yoshiki"

[​IMG]

6. Arnold Grove

Paul tries to avoid any association with anyone named "Manson"... ;)

theMess, edenofflowers and JDeanB like this.
  7. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

And Ringo avoids the name "Charles" hence the reason why he was knighted by Prince William. lol

theMess likes this.
  8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Maybe in the UK, but extremely unlikely in the States, due to the streaming effect on the charts I noted here:
    McCartney New Album started with producer Greg Kurstin

This week is a decent example. The new album by Cardi B (?) sold only 24,784 copies - the sixth best SELLING album in the US last week. But when you factor in streaming, her numbers for the week launch her to 121,423 (#2). That kind of effect absolutely kills any momentum for older artists, because 90+% of their numbers are true sales, and Paul will probably never get 100,000 in sales/week again (barring something unpleasant).

#1 on both charts this week was Jason Aldean with sales >160,000 - a number Paul couldn’t hope to achieve. This is also from hitsdailydouble, not Billboard, but their numbers are almost always identical.

theMess and Elliottmarx like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Dylan's death will probably coincide with Paul's, so Paul will still have to settle for #2 on the charts ... :hide:

Joost van Gijzen likes this.
  10. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

vince likes this.
  11. 5th-beatle

A man. I believe he's the leader of a heavy metal band, but I had never heard of him either.

12. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I haven't had a chance yet to look through all of this long thread. I am looking forward to hearing there is new album coming! About time!

13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

That could be brilliant! Release a numbered white double album with just the name Paul, in the Beatles font, on the cover!

theMess, Paul H, Zongadude and 2 others like this.
  14. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Since The White Album is actually called The Beatles despite the album being perhaps their least unified record of all, maybe the album will say "Paul McCartney" but if you look at the credits, strangely many will be credited solely to William Campbell. Then you have to make sure you're not delusional when you see faintly written, L'Angelo Misterioso on track 13, and Winston O'Boogie sharing credit with William Campbell, on the track "Fingers Crossed"... and Ringo on the 3 song medley starting with track 10, and a couple of weeks later you notice that track 13 is Fingers Crossed.... hey WAIT a minute!!! Questioning your sanity, you start questioning if Ringo is a reincarnated Pete Best.

Paul, you mad genius you! Yet another bloody brilliant, eye opening mind bending record!

Honestly, I'm hoping Avengers: Infinity War can tide me over until this record is released. Come on, Paul!

15. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

16. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

One on One tour has been over since December 16, 2017.

In October of 2018, Paul is headlining Austin City Limits festival. Last festivals he headlined at included Lollapalooza in 2015 in support of New, as well as Desert Trip.

This does make you wonder if it'll be in support of a new album!

[​IMG]

theMess and beatleroadie like this.
  17. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Which will come sooner - McCartney's new album or the death of Keith Richards?

theMess, fer2, Sam Smith and 2 others like this.
  18. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Keith Richards can not die by conventional means. ;)

MySweetFork likes this.
  19. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I bet something like an infected hair follicle will get him.

theMess and MySweetFork like this.
  20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Looks like Paul's favorite group is gonna be playing: Sofi Tukker

21. Ringo Hendrix

* American group. ;):D

22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. The fact that he's headlining a festival like Austin City Limits seems to indicate that his new album will drop before the festival. At least, Paul's slot at the fest makes more sense if he has a new album out than if he doesn't IMHO...

My money is still on a June announcement (maybe they announce it on Paul's birthday 6/18), and a late August or Sept album release.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  23. Ringo Hendrix

Well then I must not be a June announcement, because you never give me your money. :hide::ignore::rolleyes:

theMess and beatleroadie like this.
  24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

How about some funny paper?! lol

theMess and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  25. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

In 2013 he played Bonnaroo in June and Outside Lands in August, but New wasn't released until October. I don't think a festival appearance has any connection to an album's release date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.