New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I thought this was a thread about Paul's new album, not about Ringo's old voice.

2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just three more months, it seems. I can't wait to hear the new songs live.

3. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

October sounds right, can't wait!!

4. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Does it remind you in some places of "Never Without You"? Just NOWHERE near as good?

Billy Budapest likes this.
  5. Maybe a little--missing Clapton, though! I always thought Never Without You sounded like a lost Wilburys song, and that had to be the intent in part at least.

6. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Any guess what the new album with Kurstin will sound like ? For example like MAF or NEW or ?

I've read he's cut enough for at least 2 albums ? Any guess on whether the tracks with Ringo make the cut ? Is it true Ringo & Paul spent only 1 day together for Paul's album, cutting 2 tracks ? Any word if Ringo sang with Paul on one of them ?

7. paulmccartneyistheman

We know next to nothing right now

Arnold Grove likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Slight correction:
    We know next to nothing ... period. ;)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I suspect he's going to overproduce the album, as he does quite often. I'm not sure if I recall right but Denny Seiwell plays some drums on a track? For sure Pedro Eustache has overdubbed his wind instruments on three songs in 2016. Who knows if they will be part of the album.

Yorick and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  10. paulmccartneyistheman

We don't if Denny plays, all he know is he has heard a couple of tracks.

11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

He should call it POP UP, which I believe was a working title of NEW. That would allow for a lot of creativity with the cover and general design of the album packaging.

12. paulmccartneyistheman

I LOVE that album title.

Or maybe Timelines like Choas was supposed to be called

5th-beatle likes this.
  13. johnny moondog 909

Holy cow, those are some pretty positive & interesting comments & info bits!!!

Pedro Eustache Sounds good on Jenny Wren, apparently he played on Growing Up Falling Down.

You're "overproduced like he usually does" gave me a little pang, but hey at 75 most people are dead, his voice has gotten pretty leathery, maybe he needs that production !!!!

The wild card is Kurstin, a hero or a goat ? If the opening track is some dancy thing with autotune as an outboard effect & 12 digital keyboard parts & a bunch of digital instruments, I'm gonna scream NO & throw it out the window.

14. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

These days I agree with you. But he's overproduced albums way back like Press to Play and he was 44...

15. johnny moondog 909

Yeah I dislike the production with Hugh Padgeham as well. It's not terrible, in fact I like certain things about it. It certainly came out of left field & sounded surprising after 3 heavily produced albums in a row with George Martin.

Press is brittle sounding, modern for it's time. I think the songwriting with Eric Stewart was risky, non commercial, but anyway...

I like New, MAF & Electric Arguments, his last 3 pop-rock albums.... I like the non LP single " I wanna come home" but vocally young Paul is gone, that singer is gone.... At 63 he barely did it with Nigel Godrich, using a lot of production tricks.... Doing a mellow album, with light drumming & sparse arrangements so his voice didn't have to fight through big tough tracks. He sang a lot in falsetto & Godrich did a lot of clever things with EQ & effects to mask his deteriorating voice, using soft castanets & classical guitars & extremely minimal soft drums, mixed back a bit.. that was when he was 63 & they made a great album...

At 75 judging his voice on recent tracks like Early Days & I want to come home, I think he needs all the filters, outboard gear & tricks he can get...

And yet sometimes I hear him doing a Beatles tune or Wings tune from a recent YouTube clip & he sounds good. I can't explain. That. I think his band sings a lot of parts he used to sing, & he carefully chooses songs in the part of his register that's still strongest...

Sometimes he still sounds good, he's 75 !!! But that sweet timbre & those high notes are gone. .. the days of writing a crappy song & sounding great because he has such a great voice are over.

I will certainly buy the album the day it comes out.....

Anybody think he's recording 2 albums at once, so he won't have to try & hit the notes at 79-80 for the next album ? Is it a safe bet the "next" album will also say produced by Greg Kurstin, because they're doing most of it now ?

Ken.e. likes this.
  16. MaccaFanForever

MaccaFanForever Active Member

At the Fest For Beatles fans Denny Seiwell said that he saw Paul recently and Paul had played him a new song that he was going to be on his new album and ringo was drumming on it. Denny said he asked what the song was called and paul responded "I don't know" and Denny said how do you not know the name of your own song and paul said "no the title of the song is called "I don't know". Denny said that he thought the song was great and sounded very "beatles".

This news is a few months old but for those of you who don't know...

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I hope his new material doesn't sound very Beatles, he's been there done that!

JDeanB likes this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Actually Seiwell had said he heard three songs, the one he described was with Ringo. I think the title was I don't know. Also, a friend ran into One of the crew on a flight to Miami for opening night, said he had heard songs as well and said they were good. He thought October release.

Oops, sorry for repeat info

19. Ringo Hendrix

The chorus (give more love) and part of the chorus (and the world, won't forget)

The verse reminds me of the "crazy days and reckless nights"

The downwards guitar before the chorus.

It very strongly reminds me of a much-inferior Never Without You, melody wise.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  20. Ringo Hendrix

.....Ummm..... What are the odds of that happening?? I'm a little scared now.

21. paulmccartneyistheman

It's not going to happen

22. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

Have any of you actually listened to Greg Kurstin's recent production work? He uses whatever tools are needed for the artist he is producing and brings out the best. I think he is a good choice. I hope he will be able to get McCartney to deliver the goods. And I hope they go easy on the auto tuning.

One thing is certain: with Kurstin on board the new McCartney album will sound as modern and current as "New" does. If one calls that "overproduced", well, it's what McCartney wants.

23. lemonjello

lemonjello Forum Resident

I've always like The Bird And The Bee output, always get the "what is this, it's awesome" look when I spin some. I respect Adele but not really my bag. Just shows that Greg Kurstin is a versatile producer which is always a good think to me. Another producer who did great work with Paul, was versatile and made some pop records i can't listen too comes to mind is Sir George Martin.

We don't want a cookie cutter producer, i don't think Paul would have that after the early 80's experiences. Paul is gonna be Paul no matter who he works with.

Peace,
    Jake

24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I suspect this will sound closer to The Bird and the Bee than to Adele, personally.

25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Bird and the Beatle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.