McCartney/Wings on Flip Wilson-TVLand

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bldg blok, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a heads up. For all those who were unaware, TVLand has started airing the Flip Wilson Show from the early 70s. In my DirecTiVo's program guide for 5PM EST today (Mon.) it shows an episode w/ Stiller and Meara; Bill Russell; Kenny Rankin; Paul McCartney and Wings. I'm wondering if it's a promo film, but we shall see what we shall see.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

If I recall, Flip ran one of the promo clips for "Mary Had A Little Lamb."

3. bldg blok

Yeah, that's probably it since it's hard to imagine them playing live.

4. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Only a promo clip, damn. This episode is available on DVD. I had this on my amazon wish list because of the McCartney appearance. If it's only the promo clip, I may pass.
    BTW, I do remember seeing the Flip Wilson show when it aired (or repeats), and enjoyed some of it. Never saw the McCartney one. On second thought, I'll keep it on the list.

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I don't recall McCartney ever doing any live studio TV appearances at the time in the US (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), I only remember that clip airing on Flip's show.

McCartney was still considered "A Beatle" first, and didn't make the usual TV rounds when he had something to promote at the time. Did he even travel over to the USA at all during that period?

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I don't think so. Remember when he "appeared" via satellite on SNL to promote "Coming Up"? I think that may have been a live hookup with Father Guido Sarducci, but I may be confusing that with a skit.

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I did record this one, after seeing Bill's post, and it was indeed the clip of Mary Had A Little Lamb. This one was originally run in 1972. It had Linda on bongo's.

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Yes, but there was a big difference between 1972 and 1980. When he showed the clip on Flip, he was still somewhat riding on the coat-tails of the whole Beatles thing. When he appeared on SNL eight years later, and shortly after his Japanese pot arrest, his career was in need of a boost (the bad publicity from the arrest, an aborted tour, and disappointing sales of Back To The Egg). The SNL appearance helped somewhat, the live version of "Coming Up" did hit #1 in the USA, but by then, his career had long since peaked.

Also, remember that apart from the skit with Don Novello, Macca didn't perform, he showed the "Coming Up" clip. He wouldn't play live on the show for another 13 years.

9. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I saw this clip yesterday! I liked it...in a so chessy it was cool, 1972 kinda way. :)

10. bldg blok

Yeah, I see what your saying. Does anyone know what Paul's motivation for recording "Mary Had A Little Lamb" was? To be honest, I've seen this song listed in Macca discographies, but this was the first time I actually saw/heard it. Was it for one/all of his & Linda's kid(s)? It seems so odd given the time frame and I'm sure he was taken to task for it. I looked through Nicholas Shaffner's "The Beatles Forever" the other night trying to find some reference, but came up empty.

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Some accounts say it was for his kids, others say it was a reaction to "Give Ireland Back To The Irish" getting banned by the BBC.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Do you remember when you were in The Beatles...? :laugh:

13. bldg blok

Thanks Rich.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I know at least one of his daughters is in the chorus. I think it's a very enjoyable song. I'm sure Lennon laughed til he puked when he heard it, but I still play it way more than I do MIND GAMES :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.