"McCartney & Wings Say Goodnight Tonight" ENTER DISCO WATERS 1978--1979--POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:chill::kilroy::pineapple::edthumbs::cheers:I wish Paul McCartney would have another # 1 hit song in 2017.
    Trust me I'm just glad he's healthy and making more music at will, regardless of another # 1 song.
    You know I just spun a 12 inch single of "Don't Say Goodnight" after a thorough cleaning of course.

Recorded October 1978, released March 23rd 1979, I'll tell you McCartney was ripped for going disco in 1979 but in all seriousness Goodnight is a great song especially the 12 single.
    When the Pure McCartney box came out earlier this year I was hoping the the 12 inch single version would have been on the box set instead of the single version.

When I burned my copy of Pure it included the long version of Goodnight.

Either way people feel about this tune, it's fun and shows a powerful creativity Paul had during super 1970's.

There are a billion and one Beatles McCartney threads on Hoffman but I just had to pay homage to this amazing McCartney tune. Probably the best or one of the best disco themed tunes ever recorded. IMHO

I knew a serious rocker at the time in 1978--1979 he detested disco, loved his Fabs and Stones, Floyd, Kinks used to love the Bee Gees 1960's early 1970's but once Disco & Saturday Night Fever Bee Gees took hold of everything music in the late 70's my friend quickly disowned the Gees for their dwelling into disco waters.

I had told him I have this 12 single from Wings Paul McCartney he immediately dismissed it saying "I heard it on the radio and it's garbage it sucks" and above all else Paul sold out to disco where as the other beatles hadn't.

We're chillin in my living room couple of ladies over listening to tunes on the spinning turntable, along with a few indulgences drinks etc.
    All the above afore mentioned bands were playing including the ladies favorites of the time Boston, Kansas, The Cars etc.

I finally got around to Don't Say Goodnight. He fought it at first and than slowly he started jamming to it, turned to me and said "Ya know this song is not that bad".
    My friend looked at Goodnight and disco in a whole new way.

Goodnight was definitely an odd video but you know I loved it. 1930's style haircuts, dress styles. The song seemed out of place for Paul 1979 but seriously again this is a great tune either seriously ripped by critics or fans alike or loved. Check out the link below, I won't give an opinion on the opinion of the article I'll leave it up to you to make your own judgement.

Disco That Perhaps Should Never Have Been: Wings - 'Goodnight Tonight' - Bitter Empire »

Anyway sorry to bore you all with this story what I'm saying is I wish Paul would make another tune like Don't Say Goodnight.
    A tune with a beat and rythm something to get up and dance to.
    Another McCartney hit single.
    Just sayin...

Great tune enjoyed spinning it in 1979 and spinning it on the turntable this morning 10/22/2016.

WIKIPEDIA:

"Goodnight Tonight" is a single by the band Wings notable for its disco-inflected sound and spirited flamenco guitar break. It peaked at number five in both the United Kingdom and United States during 1979.

Recording:

"Goodnight Tonight" began as an instrumental backing track McCartney had recorded in 1978. Needing a single for Wings to accompany the Back to the Egg album, McCartney took out the track and brought it into the studio, where the full Wings line-up completed it. Laine and Juber added electric guitars, mirroring Paul's parts and Holly added percussion, while the whole band sang in the chorus. Since the track was over seven minutes long, an edited version was used as the single, with the full version available as a 12-inch single. A music video was made for the song, showing Wings performing in 1930s costumes; stills from the video were used on the single's sleeve. In the US, the single was the first released under McCartney's new deal with Columbia Records.

Release:

The track did not appear on Wings' then-current album Back to the Egg (from which sessions this song was recorded); it was later included on the McCartney compilations All the Best! (1987) and Wingspan: Hits and History (2001). The 7" version was released as a bonus track on the 1993 remastered CD of McCartney II, as part of The Paul McCartney Collection. The B-side of this single was "Daytime Nighttime Suffering". An extended version of the song appears on a digital iTunes re-issue of Back to the Egg.

Reception:

"Goodnight Tonight" was an international hit, reaching number five on the Billboard Hot 100 as well as theUK Singles Chart. John Lennon, McCartney's former songwriting partner, later commented that he did not care for the song, but enjoyed McCartney's bass guitar on the single. The single was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of over one million copies.

Goodnight Tonight - Wikipedia »

WATCH THE SPINNING VINYL, AND PLEASE GO ON AN AMAZING TRIP 1979.

Paul McCartney - Goodnight Tonight DVD »

linclink, theMess, Paulwalrus and 6 others like this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I like it!

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I love it. It's not just a bland bandwagon thing, it stands on its own feet with some interesting Latin rythms in the mix.

4. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I have no recollection of hearing this in 1979.

5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Love it. Roughly 1978-1984 is probably my favorite period of his solo career. With a Little Luck, Goodnight Tonight, Daytime Nighttime Suffering, Wonderful Christmastime, Coming Up, Waterfalls, Tug of War, Ebony & Ivory, Take it Away, Pipes of Peace, Say Say Say, No More Lonely Nights...

I think you can finally hear Paul moving beyond the need to prove himself after the Beatles and just get on with making excellent pop songs while occasionally indulging his experimental side. Goodnight Tonight was really the first step forward after the collapse of the mid-70s Wings lineup. It's a fun pop song with (another) killer bassline. It's on-trend without going too far or pandering. In my opinion, it's really a great example his talent, and very underrated.

6. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: I think it's a great tune and the full version
    has always been a much nicer ride than the edited one.

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Uuuuugh! This was when I was losing my love for Macca, and turning to Metal!

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Always enjoyed this single. It's a shame it wasn't included on that year's Back To The Egg album. It could have used a hit.:D

I suppose it wouldn't really have fit on that LP, though...

9. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

The bass is phenomenal and it's catchy and awesome! A great tune!

10. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

More dance than disco, surely? Much like Silly Love Songs. I like it lots.

Nearly a haiku there.:D

willy, theMess, blutiga and 3 others like this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....
    Compared to the music of TODAY.....
    It's FREAKIN' MOZART!

12. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

A much beloved McCartney classic in my household

13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I voted that I could take it or leave it.

I was already playing in bands back then and I hated the fact that most artists I admired pre-disco jumped on the bandwagon and did a disco song, because it meant more disco clubs, less live band work for me. :D

That being said, being a Paul collector obsessive I have a 12" vinyl version of this or...something in my collection. I'd actually have to look for it to see what it actually is because it's one of those things that hasn't been played since I bought it.

14. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I like it, but I prefer the b-side, Dayttime Nighttime Suffering. No idea why he buried that one. Goodnight Tonight can outwear its welcome. "Daytime" never gets old to these ears.

BeatleJWOL, boggs, theMess and 6 others like this.
  15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love it. The bass part is incredible.

theMess, blutiga, Paulwalrus and 5 others like this.
  16. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I voted take it or leave it although I did buy the 12" single of it since I had to own everything by Paul that I could find.

17. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I don't usually groove on the (near) disco...but this sing has always worked for me. Slappin' the bass!

18. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:pleased::thumbsup:

19. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Really lovely tune, great that remember this on Pure McCartney

willy, Paulwalrus, ladycat and 2 others like this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Virtually impossible for someone in their mid-seventies to have a hit, unless they get buzz by having a young gun involved. Most probable way would be a duet with Aidele, but not worth it in my opinion.

22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

It's very good, disco or not. And another tune that shows off Paul's chops on bass.

23. 905

905 Senior Member

Love it.
    Goodnight Tonight/Daytime Nighttime Suffering is one of my favorite singles by anyone.

Rickchick, theMess, Chemguy and 3 others like this.
  24. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I love the choon. Definitely in my top 10 Wings songs and one of my fave raves of all Macca singles. It's definitely 'right up my alley'.

25. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Enjoyable song, awesome bass line, typical catchy McCartney chorus... I like it. Never had any problem with disco music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.