McCartney's "Mine For Me"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulg61, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member Thread Starter

Ok - I've liked and have been listening to this Mac tune (the last song on Rod's "Smiler") for some 30 years now and have never heard any McCartney Version (even on boot vinyl, Cd, etc.) nor have read anything about the tune and have never understood why Big Mac gave this song to Mr. Stewart...

Can any one shed a little light on the background of how this great little McCartney tune came about and why it was recorded by Rod Stewart and not Paul - or was this another one he gave away... ala "Come and Get it" ?

2. peerke

peerke Senior Member

Paul was asked in an interview about some other cover and he said that if someone asked him, he wrote a song for him. Stewart read it, phoned him, and Paul responded with 'Mine For Me'.
    He and the missus even sang back up vocals.
    But I have never heard of a demo version.

3. paulg61

Thanks! Sounds like (at least) Paul and (maybe) Linda on backup vocals but I never saw that in credits on SMiler -I also believe that some Smiler LP's/CD's credited both Paul & Linda with writing credits?

I'd love to here a demo version of Paul doing this !!!

4. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

One of McCartney's best, that he gave away, IMO.

And no...I've never heard a McCartney (demo) version. May not even exist.

5. paulg61

I agree!- No Demo - I know - too bad!!!

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Bumping this thread from 2006 as I just gave this tune a listen. I hadn't heard it in years, and enjoyed it very much:

[

For me, the tropical sounds and steel drums remind me of Mucho Mungo (Lennon/Nilsson), which was released in 1974 (as was "Mine For Me") and Beautiful Boy (off Double Fantasy).

Does anyone have any further thoughts on this tune? Any demo of just Paul?

Arnie

James McCartney and No Bull like this.
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

A short clip of Paul and Linda singing it with Rod (after the intro).

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Nice.
    Paul was very generous around that time in 1973-74 with giving songs to others: Mine For Me for Rod; Let's Love for Peggy Lee; that 4th of July song, which is a beauty, by John Christie (I think that's his name); the McGear album by his brother Michael. Paul definitely had his confidence restored by the success of the Band On The Run album. Arnie

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The recording above has been bootlegged for awhile as the song's demo.

10. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Until not long ago, there was a semi-live version of "Mine For Me" on Youtube, where Rod sang live over a different mix of the studio track, where Paul's voice was pretty much in evidence. The Youtube link was but obviously this has unfortunately become a private video. Shame.

Fortunately, I had retrieved the audio track. If interested -> PM me !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.