McDonald's Ray Kroc "The Founder" looks like a good movie coming out*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tommy-thewho, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe Forum Resident

Heck, he had it filmed! Ford's worst personal aspect was being a huge anti-Semite (and I meant Harvey Firestone, my mistake.) Most of the evil perpetrated by Steve Jobs is known only to those of us who have to repair the equipment created by his company (any computer you have to open with a putty knife, four suction cups and special screwdrivers is the product of a uniquely twisted mind.)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. JohnO

JohnO Forum Resident

Which film was that?
    There is a book about the man who went missing, Louis Aimé Augustin Le Prince, and I have it and have read it a few times. It's an interesting detective story and technology story, and his movies were not exactly images on a strip of film and there was no "35mm" film yet. There's no answer to what happened to Le Prince, but primarily Edison benefited. This and the McD books and some similar are in my permanent bookshelf. This is that book :)
    The Missing Reel: The Untold Story of the Lost Inventor of Moving Pictures: Christopher Rawlence: 9780140159738: Amazon.com: Books
    (this should be a different thread)

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

A lousy two million for what the company that bears their name is worth? Granted, the McDonald brothers did not have the vision or business savvy, but they should have had the foresight to have Kroc sign a contract that gave them more leverage.

Does that make it OK?

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Forum Resident

Guys, it is a movie. Kroc , in his book, writes as if the Mcdonald brothers were completely happy with their one restaurant. Kroc wanted to conquer the world.

Chris DeVoe and EVOLVIST like this.
  5. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

The movie made it clear that the reason the brothers didn't expand (they tried) is because they were obsessed with quality control. Thing is, Kroc fixed that problem, but the brothers didn't listen to the solution.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it was a PBS documentary on the early history of the invention of motion picture film, and it also dealt with The Edison Trust (aka "The Motion Picture Patents Company") and how they'd move around the country smashing cameras that violated their patent. They got away with it from 1908-1918, but eventually the Supreme Court threw out the patents and made it possible for anybody to make 35mm motion picture film and cameras.

JohnO and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. JohnO

JohnO Forum Resident

I tried to buy it today, but no store I went to had it. Then I looked and saw it in a Redbox at a 7-11. I've never used Redbox and this is not enough to start. [​IMG]

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe Forum Resident

It works great, and is dramatically cheaper than the criminally over-priced "digital rental" from any of the streaming services.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    No Static likes this.
  9. telliott

telliott Forum Resident

I just watched the movie and enjoyed it. After all the trouble the brothers had with Ray, WHY did they trust the handshake deal? I'm guessing they saw that as icing on the cake (And what a big cake it was) and they really wanted out, if not just for their health.

Along with all the actors, I liked Nick Offerman. He was also great in season 1 of Fargo.

10. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Saw it on a plane last week. I now like Mark Knopfler's "Boom, Like That" even more. The lyrics make a little more sense.

Did Kroc really "give" them San Bernardino then soon open a new McDonald's across the street? I understand drive and vision and all that but dang...

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Forum Resident

He let them keep the restaurant open but they had to change the name. He then opened a McDonalds nearby which promptly drove them out of business.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek Please label the photos you post

Why did Amazon Prime have it free to stream for like a week then remove it?

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Forum Resident

That does seem like a really short window. Maybe a contractual thing?